General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

MAJOR Turbo problems with Hal's kit. VERY LONG post.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 09:51 AM
It's chrome alright...

it's russ!
Old 05-06-2003, 09:52 AM

I have been reading this thread and I would be ****ed if this happened to myself. The first thing I would have done was not pay in full up front. When people have your money in hand, they tend to do inferior work and you have lost the leverage to get things fixed.

I looked at the welds and I would say that they are **** poor, even if they are under the car. The chassis welds for your frame are under the car, would you want these types of welds holding your car together, I wouldnt. After reading both sides, it seems that lack of pride, poor planning, and an inexperienced shop are the main causes. I am sorry, but a muffler shop is THE LAST PLACE I would have install a custom turbo kit. If I was Hal, I would have not let the car leave the shop in the condition I see in the pictures, but I have pride in my work and am a perfectionist. I guess it all comes down to, you get what you pay for, in this case you paid for a amature installation job.

Just my .02
Old 05-06-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax

i was talking to the person who's IP i pulled, i have no idea why you would think it is you
Yeah well actually I got an IM from another org member saying Sprint thinks it's me, I didn't get the impression of that at first but I thought maybe he was reading into it clearer then me. But for the record it was not me.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Case in point Brian. I deleted more posts from look2me40 and you. Probably 2-3x more. Do you see him crybabying up and down the forum? Nope. Hell, I deleted his shat, and he standing up for me. He complains about some stuff but has shown to be at least true to his word. Calls it as he sees it. Either way.

And you deleted some of my posts. Now people can't say, "Its mods against everyone else."

Either way, I've given Dixit my regards in private so he know I'm not making fun of his situation.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by BrianV

Yeah well actually I got an IM from another org member saying Sprint thinks it's me, I didn't get the impression of that at first but I thought maybe he was reading into it clearer then me. But for the record it was not me.
you shouldn't listen to dumbfcks who have nothing better to do than start ****..
Old 05-06-2003, 10:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

The thread was a clusterfawk BEFORE I even touched it.

Agreed...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:12 AM

focus on the real issues

It's as simple as this.

- Was there a contract? (i don't know the answer, so enlighten us)

- Was every part listed and cataloged for the install? (if so, then hal should make sure they were all there. If not, then you can't complain for not knowing he was going to us X part instead of Y part)

- Was quality of workmanship discussed before hand? (if you didn't discuss the quality of welds before hand, don't complain about it after)

You get out of a deal what you put into it. I hear your anger dixit, and some of the cases are justified, howerver your anger seems directed more at hal, when you know your angry at yourself for not asking more/better questions ealier.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I'm cleaning this thread up... consider this a warning to everyone.

Take the arguing, debating, or whatever you want to call it out of this thread and into ONE thread in the Feedback forum if that is what you wish.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

IATL
Old 05-06-2003, 10:26 AM
I'm needing a caw

YOUR CHANGING HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IATL!

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I'm cleaning this thread up... consider this a warning to everyone.

Take the arguing, debating, or whatever you want to call it out of this thread and into ONE thread in the Feedback forum if that is what you wish.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:54 AM

I guess now is as good as a time as any to post in this thread.

IATL!

Old 05-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

If ANY of you have problems with MY MODERATORS, come talk to ME. Whoring up a thread where someone needs to vent their frustration will do YOU no good.

If you have an opinion about the situation, post it. If you want to complain about how the thread was moderated, take it to a more appropriate location, i.e. Feedback/Suggestions.

Obviously, Chinkzilla has stated that Hal was his friend and that he is 100% biased on this subject, so you will not change his opinion no matter if it was right or wrong.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Administrator

IATL
Old 05-06-2003, 11:30 AM
GoldenGlory

thats twice now ... i think hal has alot of explaining to do

Old 05-06-2003, 11:51 AM
wat

Originally posted by GoldenGlory
thats twice now ... i think hal has alot of explaining to do

IATUL...

Ok, back on subject. Hal, could you at least acknowlege that you would be willing to work with Dixit to get him a little more satisfied with the outcome of this install? I think your silence is kind of damning. Dixit, would you wanna work something out with him? It is between you two now. Everyone else's .02 don't really count (unless they got jobbed on a turbo as well)
Old 05-06-2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
Holy crap.

Frankly, I'm starting to see a pattern develop here. Anyone who innovates or offers his services to the .org invariably gets hated on by the resident haters and lemmings. I've seen it happen to Don in Texas, RoadBeast, Brian Catts, and now Hal.

Dennis

You need to pull your head out of your f ucking a@@ss seriously. The id!ot Roadbeast didnt steal any cash from you so now your here talking all this ****. Your quite lucky your not no where near, you get your *** knocked the f_ck out first hand. I dont see no one knocking on Brian Catts, if anything I like his stuff and buy it. I dont know about Don in Texas. If everything is all good and you work on all these turbo cars and **** why havent you spent $4K on a kit and have it on your car?

aaaaaaaahhhhh

thats what I thought
Old 05-06-2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

You need to pull your head out of your f ucking a@@ss seriously. The id!ot Roadbeast didnt steal any cash from you so now your here talking all this ****. Your quite lucky your not no where near, you get your *** knocked the f_ck out first hand. I dont see no one knocking on Brian Catts, if anything I like his stuff and buy it. I dont know about Don in Texas. If everything is all good and you work on all these turbo cars and **** why havent you spent $4K on a kit and have it on your car?

aaaaaaaahhhhh

thats what I thought
Don't be too upset Jay but understand that some people think they know the truth but in reality they're living/seeing a lie and can't tell the difference between the two.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Boost.....

I feel sorry for BigDog.

This has gotten WAY out of hand.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:19 PM

aaaaaaaahhhhh

thats what I thought
Wow. Did he hit a nerve? Obviously something he said rubbed you the wrong way. What's with the idle threats? And how has your post helped dixit in any productive way?

You should go check out the movie anger mananagement. I heard it was funny.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:29 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by NISMO808

Wow. Did he hit a nerve? Obviously something he said rubbed you the wrong way. What's with the idle threats? And how has your post helped dixit in any productive way?

If you have to ask, then you don't know why he's ****ed...
Old 05-06-2003, 01:31 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ok, I'm sure people will think I'm a total ***** for this, but oh well...

A lot of the things that Dixit is complaining about with this turbo kit are design problems:

- No flex section
- Brake (hard) line for oil feed
- 2.5" Inlet muffler
- Crush bends here and there
- Fan issue

How much did you research this kit before you purchased? I know I didn't look to hard into it, but I knew of a few of those things before I really started to ask questions.

So, if you knew that some of these design choices had been made, isn't it just as much your fault for purchasing the kit, then realizing that it wasn't the best design?

Unless Hal didn't disclose these design choices (which I highly doubt, as he seemed willing to share this information), you can't blame him for this that he said he would be doing from the start...

I for one made damn sure I knew how EVERYTHING worked in my SC kit before I purchased it. I would have done the same with a turbo kit if I had decided to go that route.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by ejj
Ok, I'm sure people will think I'm a total ***** for this, but oh well...

A lot of the things that Dixit is complaining about with this turbo kit are design problems:

- No flex section
- Brake (hard) line for oil feed
- 2.5" Inlet muffler
- Crush bends here and there
- Fan issue

How much did you research this kit before you purchased? I know I didn't look to hard into it, but I knew of a few of those things before I really started to ask questions.
I asked him about the Flex section and he told me it wasnt needed and WOULD NOT cause the exhaust to rattle, I asked him how that would be? He said, "It doesnt happen on my car"

Brake line feed, he didnt tell me was going to run that, I didnt think of asking on that one, he told me he uses braided lines, I assumed that one would be.

2.5" inlet, no, he did not mention that. He CLEARLY still advertises a 3" catback exhaust FULLY MANDREL bent. So I assume that means a TRUE 3", not 3" piping and a 2.5" inlet muffler.

Fan issue, he stated he relocates them, I asked him when I got there "This is the only fan you will use?" He said "Yes its more than enough, it has more CFM than the stock and will keep the radiator more cool" So I took his word since he knew more about the kit than I did

Dixit
Old 05-06-2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

If you have to ask, then you don't know why he's ****ed...
That was the point of my post. I don't know. That's why I asked. And whatever it may be, if it doesn't concern a turbo and hal, then perhaps it belongs somewhere else.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:03 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

That was the point of my post. I don't know. That's why I asked. And whatever it may be, if it doesn't concern a turbo and hal, then perhaps it belongs somewhere else.
It concerns Hal's turbo kit on Kirk's car, who is Jaime's friend.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:06 PM
wat

So where is hal these days?
Old 05-06-2003, 02:06 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Kev.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by BlueC
So where is hal these days?
Lurking like a newbie troll.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:16 PM

lllllooonnnngggg thread, seeking legal advice yet?
Old 05-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by bags533

carnal_c30- please put your head back in your a$$
my head in my ***??? I know more than you think homie

these kits arent guaranteed, warrantied for 5 years or anything like that
you drive off happy... then thats it and thats basically it- pretty much everyone who deals with shops and works with them knows thats basically how it goes, if you have a problem afterwards... they will help you out yes? but it doesnt mean they are going to fly out there and do it for you...
I got my exhaust put on up in the the SF Bay Area... I live in the LA Area... my exhaust tip fits flush with my bumper, I didnt mind but under boost it concerns me... do I demand that he comes down here and fixes it for me???
shop that custom drilled my wheels for my Lexus didnt get the hubcentric rings in time... so he sent them to me- I'm happy, I didnt ask him to come down here and put them on himself

Hal hasnt avoided his calls or anything- you guys know he doesnt

-welds are functional, they work they were never guaranteed to be show quality
-oil line issue was addressed the first night
-it was Dixits choice to take the used muffler from Hal, he was willing to send you a 3" muffler yes?
-the over heating issue has come in recently, and Hal is working on it yes? (you know this Kirk)
-the fan- you saw kyu's car and Hals car, they dont use stock fans...
- the braided lines? you know that Hal and Kyu or any other car with Hals kit doesnt have stainless steel braided lines yes? you researched his kit I assume
- the exhaust rattling well its the IC piping yes?? you have already discussed it with Hal and he gave you a solution yes?

Hal has worked with you on alot of things, he has told you how to resolve your issues right? but you want him to fly down there and do it for you... or pay to have someone else do it... come on now...

and I admit I was wrong bringing Nigel and Kev into this, I've already apologized to them...
Old 05-06-2003, 04:53 PM
ejj

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

I asked him about the Flex section and he told me it wasnt needed and WOULD NOT cause the exhaust to rattle, I asked him how that would be? He said, "It doesnt happen on my car"

Brake line feed, he didnt tell me was going to run that, I didnt think of asking on that one, he told me he uses braided lines, I assumed that one would be.

2.5" inlet, no, he did not mention that. He CLEARLY still advertises a 3" catback exhaust FULLY MANDREL bent. So I assume that means a TRUE 3", not 3" piping and a 2.5" inlet muffler.

Fan issue, he stated he relocates them, I asked him when I got there "This is the only fan you will use?" He said "Yes its more than enough, it has more CFM than the stock and will keep the radiator more cool" So I took his word since he knew more about the kit than I did

Dixit
Thank you for clearing that up. I retract my previous comment about you being equally at fault.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by carnal_c30

-it was Dixits choice to take the used muffler from Hal, he was willing to send you a 3" muffler yes?
-the over heating issue has come in recently, and Hal is working on it yes? (you know this Kirk)
- the braided lines? you know that Hal and Kyu or any other car with Hals kit doesnt have stainless steel braided lines yes? you researched his kit I assume
- the exhaust rattling well its the IC piping yes?? you have already discussed it with Hal and he gave you a solution yes?

Hal has worked with you on alot of things, he has told you how to resolve your issues right? but you want him to fly down there and do it for you... or pay to have someone else do it... come on now...
I dont know what you do in reading the posts, do you just skim over them and read what you want and answer it from there cause you are all on the defensive? Do me a favor and go back and read it clearly first.

Not once did I demand anything from Hal. I did not anywhere in writing or ask Hal to FLY out to where I am and fix this stuff. I explained that these are the issues and Ive seen it also on Kirk's car which I saw the night before.

Welds are functional? Are you a welder? if not, I wouldnt talk. If you are then you must suck cause any welder I saw would laugh at this weld. I took it to TWO people. MO from SRT told me the one on the charged pipe is going to leak soon, I think he would know more than you would considering he has done 100s of cars. I also took it to a PRO welder who welds ANYTHING you ask him to when I switched out my BOV. He looks at the bottom welds and said they are NOT funtional and will rust soon and fall apart. When you have a GLOB of weld you cant be sure you didnt trap air pockets. I think I know my shiet in this area considering my DAD also took a look at this setup and has a PE (Professional Engineering) Certification and over 30yrs of Mechanical Engineering experience. I think Ive asked more than enough pros on the weld. Case closed there. They are NOT functional. Or did you miss the part in the picture where the weld itself is rusting? How long you think before there is a small hole and I have to get that fixed?

Oil line WAS NOT addressed the first night. As I told you I asked Hal and he said and I quote AGAIN "Its better to have a longer line because that means more oil" Ask ANY turbo developer/pro and see if that statement holds any TRUTH to it. As a matter of fact if I remember correctly while Mo at SRT was ripping me a new azzhole, he told me that is the biggest crock of crap he has ever heard.

The Intercooler piping has been discussed and gave me a solution? Um no, solution was check the pipe and see if it got lose, um it hasnt and I checked it and I told Hal this and all he said again is "Well it wasnt rattling when you left" Um that aint an answer I want to hear, my key point is that it is rattling clearly cause when the engine moved the whole piping and everything moves as well as the radiator and everything resonates off the frame and makes noise, I guess he doesnt believe in that theory.

Dont claim to be an expert if you dont know crap. I dont claim to be an expert on a Turbo at all, that is why I ASKED Hal about alot of things before I bought it. Obviously me who at the time didnt know much on it, I would take his word as truth. Most people in my shoes would with a bit more research. I took my car to Mo at SRT because he is my friend and the most knowledgable person I know about Turbos and I trust his judgement, otherwise I dont think he would be in business and have 20orders of $35k twin turbo kits for a GS400. Dont tell me that I shouldve bought one from him, you must have already seen that he doesnt do nissans and wants no part of it. Regardless that is not the point, the point is I took it to an expert to see what he thinks and help me go back to Hal and explain my problems since Im no Turbo-genius.

BTW, do me a favor, instead of you post whoring this thread on your defensiveness because Hal is your friend, stay out of this one. Im sure Hal is a big boy and dont need someone else to hold his hand on this one. As I said once, I had no interaction with you, my transaction is with Hal. I know that might be hard for a person of your status to understand.

Dixit
Old 05-06-2003, 05:12 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

these kits arent guaranteed, warrantied for 5 years or anything like that
you drive off happy... then thats it and thats basically it- pretty much everyone who deals with shops and works with them knows thats basically how it goes, if you have a problem afterwards... they will help you out yes? but it doesnt mean they are going to fly out there and do it for you...
I got my exhaust put on up in the the SF Bay Area... I live in the LA Area... my exhaust tip fits flush with my bumper, I didnt mind but under boost it concerns me... do I demand that he comes down here and fixes it for me???
shop that custom drilled my wheels for my Lexus didnt get the hubcentric rings in time... so he sent them to me- I'm happy, I didnt ask him to come down here and put them on himself

Hal hasnt avoided his calls or anything- you guys know he doesnt

and I admit I was wrong bringing Nigel and Kev into this, I've already apologized to them...
OK, I am going off the deep end look for my thread.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Don't be too upset Jay but understand that some people think they know the truth but in reality they're living/seeing a lie and can't tell the difference between the two.

I mean how is someone that didnt get ripped off come over here and tell everyone how bad we are about this and that not know that the
d!ck head roadsh!t ripped quite a lot of people off. Not just any people good people that are more then willing to help you out. Is just not right. People make complaints for a reason, not for their healths. Freaking Dorks!

Sorry for adding to this, I was trying to stay out.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by BlueC
So where is hal these days? ;surprised;

i guess hal has nothing to say
Old 05-06-2003, 05:46 PM
ejj

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6
i guess hal has nothing to say
This is between he and Dixit...if he doesn't want to discuss it here, he doesn't have to. He doesn't need to answer to those (us) who haven't bought his kit.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:52 PM

I dont need anger management thank you why dont you contact roadsh!t and contribute some money to his account or better yet use the search function since you obviously dont know WTF is going on and read about Roadbeast and if your intelligent enough you will figure out why I came out like that.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by ejj

This is between he and Dixit...if he doesn't want to discuss it here, he doesn't have to. He doesn't need to answer to those (us) who haven't bought his kit.

Thats cool...just thought if he wanted to save his reputation on being a turbo installer he would say something in the public-view on his behalf on why things were done the way they were done on dixit & bags car
Old 05-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Dixit- I'd really wana see more pictures so I know whats going on better, the weld underneath the car looks nasty but it isnt leaking so it is functional, welds rust, thats why my turbo piping on my old car was powder coated

person of my status? whatchu trying to say?? man you dont have to go there- you dont want to haha its not necessary

honestly I think you should have emailed this to Hal before posting it up here because it has gotten out of hand

theres no way you can compare SRTs work to this... SRT is on a whole other level... you got a turbo kit that functions and that you were happy with when you left

you should talk to Hal again email him or whatever, him posting in this flame war wont solve anything he knows it...

and dont get personal with any of us... I may disagree with you, but start talking **** about 'person of your status' and ****... you dont have a clue on who I am and what I do

I wont post anymore unless someone replies to me...
you and Hal should work it out personally

and more pics please
Old 05-06-2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

It concerns Hal's turbo kit on Kirk's car, who is Jaime's friend.
Just as it concerns A turbo kit made by Hal, who is My friend.

EITHER WAY.

Deezo and Jay25:

aaaaaaaahhhhh

thats what I thought

Personal or not moderators on this forum should behave themselves and refrain from childish insults and idle threats. If you have a problem with me and think I deserve to have my *** kicked for stuff I said on the internet, then I invite you to come out to California and try your tough internet thug act out in person.

I don't believe either of you had anything constructive to contribute to this thread other than what amounts to "yeah! hal sucks, and so does anyone else who backs him!"

Read the whole thread, you might see I retracted my statement about roadbeast having not known the whole story.

Also, does my citation of one invalid example invalidate my entire position? The point I was trying to make is that when ppl on the org try to help people of their own accord and effort, they get flamed and hated on. Almost invariably. SR20DEN said it best when he said he's almost afraid to help people anymore.

It's a pity that this thread and this forum have degenerated to this level of immaturity, especially coming from moderators themselves.

I'm sorry Kevin, I would have liked to e-mail you or talk to you personally on that one, but I have to respond to personal threats. =P
Old 05-06-2003, 06:48 PM

Dixit- I'd really wana see more pictures so I know whats going on better, the weld underneath the car looks nasty but it isnt leaking so it is functional, welds rust, thats why my turbo piping on my old car was powder coated
But would you take Stillen y pipe from some distributor in that condition? Sure it may work for a while but would you be happy knowing it's not going to work at its full potential?

Quick Reply: MAJOR Turbo problems with Hal's kit. VERY LONG post.