General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

MAJOR Turbo problems with Hal's kit. VERY LONG post.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 06:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MAJOR Turbo problems with Hal's kit. VERY LONG post.

As many of you know I recently put a Turbo in the car. It was done by Harold (www.hlh0501.com) and was custom installed since I was an automatic. It has not been running in tip top condition for awhile now. There have been a few problems that I have been trying to work out as well get help from Harold to resolve a few issues.

BUT lets jus say he is not helping much in that area. Lets start from the starting so I can break it down for you all on the troubles I went through on this kit.

First off I sent the check for the install in FULL to Hal at his home so he could order the parts and get ready for the install on Feb 15. So Feb13 or so rolls around and he is about to push it back one more week (not to mention it was already pushed back 1month) and he calls back explaining that he wont have to push it back and he will be able to take it that weekend after all. So I drive my car up there and drop it off for him to work on it. I was a bit skeptical when we dropped the car off at a muffler shop and he told me they were going to do the entire job. I said to myself, "ok as long as it gets done right and no issues I dont care if it done in his backyard."

So come next weekend I fly into Louisville to pickup the car at 1pm and was planning on driving out no later than 3pm or 5pm at the latest that Saturday. Well I get there and there is still a rack more work to get done. Like the WHOLE exhaust system, wiring for the gauges, FMU needs to be installed, oil line feed, and tidying up a few things. Im thinking no way Im leaving in in 2hrs. So I wait in the shop, wait some more, wait some more as we are doing some things. And by this time it is 8pm, we still working on the car, and then find out Hal dont have my muffler. So Im frustrated at this point thinking if you ordered it why aint it here? You had two weeks to do this. So I tell him, look just give me the one off your car and put it on mine. So we go back to his place to cut it off his car, and then when we get ready to install it, I noticed one thing, its a 2.5" inlet. I mean whats the point of running an entirely 3" from CATback and then do a 2.5" inlet on the muffler? So I said "F@#@ it, just install it" since I was thinking of just trying to get home.

Then its around midnight and we still in the muffler shop, dude just finished installing my exhaust which by the way was 3" from the catback and then right as it goes above the rear beam it turns into 2.5" piping which also becomes crush bend. I didnt even want to get started on that. Then as Im putting parts that he took off in my car into my trunk to get ready to leave, I notice that the F#$#IN Cattman STAINLESS STEEL Ypipe was cut up. They cut the flange/header clamp off the rear back one to use on the custom Ypipe. Im like you got to be shieting me, he just hacked up a $350 pipe that I couldve AT LEAST sold it for $200-250, now worthless.

So we get ready to take the car out for a spin after finish installing the FMU, and then he takes it out and everytime we hit boost at 4psi, the engine cuts off. So he thinks he has the lines backwards, go back to the shop and flip the lines on the FMU, and then test it again, same problem. So at this point we leave the muffler shop and then go to his house to fix the issue, by the way it began to snow already about 1-2" on the ground and Im driving a turbo car that cant go past 4psi otherwise the engine cuts, so on the highway, I couldnt get the car past 60mph cause the minute i would give it gas, it would go on the boost side and the fmu would kill the fuel. So we get to his place, I remote connect to my computer at home which has the FSM and we find out we tapped into entirely the wrong Fuel line. So we change it. Then we wire up the Air/Fuel guage off the the ECM. Then tidy up a few things on my car and I end up leaving at what time? FIVE AM and have to drive 600miles back to DC and Im tired like you dont know what and there is about 4" of snow out there as well and me in my 19s in a turbo car was not fun at all. I finally got home in one piece and drove straight to SRT where MardisgrasMax was doing his dyno tuning and wanted to show the car to the owner of the shop as well a few of the buddies, well I ended up locking the keys in the car by mistake while it was running. To make a long story short there I got my brother to grab my other set from home (about 15mins away) and as he was coming the engine basically overheated. The radiator fluid was all over the asphault. So finally turned the car off and noticed the fan wasnt working anymore. Then then MO (SRT's owner) came out and tested the fan and it did work, its just that HAL took the ground wire and didnt put a crimp connector on it to screw it down with a screw, he just stripped it and jammed it under the radiator support. Well the salt and crap probably corroded the line and caused no ground thus no power and no air. Mo by the way build twin turbo kits for a GS400 and let me say he cussed me out on the wrong things on the turbo kit.

Now lets get to the real issues as well. First off I noticed that on a hot day like 80 and above my engine temp doesnt stay at normal level, it hits the H marker. Everytime I started moving again like above 30mph it would come back down. I knew instantly that the Fan was the issue. But it was running. So whats that tell me we aint getting enough air through the radiator. Well kinda hard to cool, it down when Hal removed my TWO oem fans that were pull through style air, and puts ONE 14" fan on the front of the radiator. Thats it. ONE. So talked to Hal a few times and basically he refuses to give me another fan. EVEN though bags533 (kirk with the 4th gen turbo hal did) is having the same problem but he is giving him another fan. Why cause bags reported the problem quicker than I did. Well let me see here bags live in ATL where the weather is hot, I live in DC where it was still snow country for a few more months. Still Hal doesnt agree its his fault for removed two fans and only using one. The whole OTHER side of the Radiator has nothing, yes NOTHING but a tranny cooler on it.

Second issue, the oil return line. Geez, MO cussed me out for 5mins on that because Hal bought a line that was too long, so what did he do, he wrapped the line around the engine mount once to get around that and then goes to the oil pan. Shop owner told me "I will give you 3months before you blow the turbo." Hal tells me "No its better to have a longer line cause that means more oil" So basically I end up cutting the line short which was by the wayt 2ft too long and techincally is not my responsibility. Also the oil SEND line is a metal brake line. BIG NO NO. if that line breaks, thats a fire waiting to happen. Not to mention ONE of his customers already broke the line cause it was "somehow" near the driveshaft and it grinded it down, lucky he aint set the car on fire.

Third, The welds. Very pi$$ poor job on the weld. Want to see some pics of it for you to judge?
http://www.bigdogjonx.com/fullpics/turbo/piping.jpg Look at the chunky weld on the right, there is another one just like that on the left side as well.

Fourth, Rattles. The Rattles and Clanking is killing me, I mean so bad that Ive contemplated selling the car and dumping it entirely. Why is it rattling so bad, well let me see here, NO FLEX SECTION on the exhaust, straight piping from Exhaust housing of turbo to muffler. Yea, that "might" be a problem. So now I got to buy a flex section and have the exhaust redone. Not to mention the downpipe going to the cat, well to clear the tranny pan that it runs under, he crush bent the top part of the pipe to fit it up there better and leaves about 1/4" tops between the pipe and the pan, yeah like thats not going to rattle half the time.

Fifth, I was supposed to get exhaust wrap, didnt know until TimW pointed this out to me and then I had to ask Hal and then he ships me the wrap which I have to put on myself. Im thinking why do I have to do all this work on the car when I paid him to do it?

Sixth. The intercooler was mounted in such a way that he wouldnt have to hack my front bumper. Well found out that the intercooler is NOT bolted down in anyway. It is just up there and being held by the intercooler piping as well as two small Pegs they welded to the bottom of my bumper to keep it from falling out completely. Not to mention the piping coming out of the intercooler going to the throttle body is TOUCHING the tow hook on the front pass side. So that wont rattle as well? He thinks the piping got lose. Well how did it get loose if you made sure the silicone couplers were tight? Beliece me it aint move.

Seventh. The Silicone couplers, well how do I put it lightly, he bought a 3ft of it. And guess what, he cut them himself. You tell me how many of you can cut a silicone coupler with a utility knife perfect? I bet you about 90% of you cant. And it just looks shady. I put alot of effort in my car to make it look show quality inside with my TVs and everything else and we got a shady install under the hood, that just burns me up inside and Im spending my time fixing this. Also used HomeDepot style hose clamps where at least two of them are broken on the car now.

I will stop here on the issues, even though there are more that I can list. Not to mention this AINT just me who has this issue, Kirk (Bags533) has the Same type of issues. And I saw his car last night, some of the things that were done on that car, just shotty work, plain pathetic. Want proof? I had to take pics of it even though I know Ben already posts some
http://www.bigdogjonx.com/fullpics/bagsturbo

I will not be quiet anymore on this crap, He is not doing the job the money that was paid to him. This is not quality work. I dont want others to be in the same crap and me and bags where we are spending our weekend trying to fix this crap as well as spending MORE money to fix things. I mean I got at least another $1000 of work to fix this crap. At this rate I couldve got the PFI kit and then some and that at least has professional build quality to it, not a muffler shop hacking and welding away like they were 16yrs old.

It just burns me. I mean truly burns me that Ive spent now over $6000 on this and still doesnt feel like a $6000 turbo. I mean I totally regret selling the supercharger to LatinMax to do this turbo now. I know for a fact NO supercharged 5th gen is having this many issues. If you think im calling Hal out, you are getting the wrong idea, Im explain what Ive been through as well as Kirk and probably more. You still want the turbo kit, be my guest and then wait in line in my garage as we fix it again.

Lastly I know this is LONG as the threads probably ever have been, so do us all a favor as well the moderators and DONT QUOTE the entire post, just quote what you need or just post a reply.

Dixit
Old 05-05-2003, 06:35 AM

Some of you people keep saying Hal is a nice guy but what nice guy would do someone like this?

I feel bad you you guys, I really do. I think I'd be ready to kill someone.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:37 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Uh oh...

I will have time to answer your PM's, Dixit.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:40 AM

Tooke me a while to read it man...but lets just say you just changed my mind about buying hal's kit. I feel ya bro, I know what its like to dish out a hunk of money and not feel like you got that much worth. I'm in atlanta area, and havent seen bags car yet..but I'd like to..

One other thing I noticed is....in one of hals pics..all that mandrel bent piping he has laying in one pic...looks just like a u bend mandrel bent pipe I cought from jc whitney for 19 bucks. hmm.....
Old 05-05-2003, 06:41 AM

And I have to thank Kevin for helping me pinpoint issues when he really didnt have to help me. But out of the kindness of being maxima brothers, he did. Just goes to show we DO help people, we are not big headed egotisical ***** on this board.

Dixit
Old 05-05-2003, 06:49 AM
Boost.....

Dern man......I applaud you for holding your toung for such a long time. Those are some SERIOUS issues. Hal needs to do the right thing and....

1. Fix EVERYTHING

2. Refund EVERYTHING
Old 05-05-2003, 06:53 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

For reference:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=206034
Old 05-05-2003, 06:58 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow, that sucks man. I was highly considering Hal's kit at one time. I guess this had to happed so nobody else goes into buying his kit with the wrong expectations.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:01 AM

that was one long post. Sorry to hear all these issues you are having. I hope Hal can resolve them ASAP 6K is a **** load of cash to spend. I am sorry for not staying too long @ hooters with you and Kirk, I had my kid w/me and the dude next to us kept smoking in any case sorry to hear all your problems. If swapping the pump is an issue bring it by my place fck doing it @ your parking lot. And Kevin thats just the way he is thats why he is so blessed by God, becuase his giving.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:01 AM
Administrator

sorry to hear this Dixit
Old 05-05-2003, 07:02 AM
VQ Wizard

Im sorry things turned out like this for you Dixit. Hal seems to be a pretty good guy.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:02 AM
Got Bent?

well... that pretty much sums it up...

I didn't know if you were ever going to post all of what you are going through... I am glad that you did though...

Hope you get things to work out...
Old 05-05-2003, 07:06 AM

!!!

I think a SC kit is just what I need now
Old 05-05-2003, 07:14 AM
It's chrome alright...

Wonder how this is going to look on hlh's 'trader rating'... it's not written up yet. Will it be?
http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?...nfo&userid=867
Old 05-05-2003, 07:24 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Old 05-05-2003, 07:29 AM

Old 05-05-2003, 07:31 AM
i SeE what you did therE

doh..
Old 05-05-2003, 07:35 AM

It's interesting to read Hal's website and all he promises with the kit. I certainly will not be considering his kit in the fall like I was going to...
Old 05-05-2003, 07:36 AM

Wow, I am glad now that I spent half that much and have only had minor sqwueeks out of belts and stuff...

Dixit,

Hope everything gets worked out for you and you find you're happy with the Max again.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:43 AM

Why doesn't Kevin help develop a turbo kit?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:43 AM
wat

Looking at the pics, the work does look very shoddy. Sorry for all your issues. Let's see if Hal has a decent response before we all pass judgment though.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:48 AM

damn dixit that sucks....

p.s. thats a $hitty job for $6k...looks half a$$ed to me....if this is true hal, then i'll never consider your turbo install again

edit: was too blunt before letting hal speak
Old 05-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Blu
the tits

man thats a lot of cash to drop for that kind of shatty work
Old 05-05-2003, 07:54 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by look2me40
Looking at the pics, the work does look very shoddy. Sorry for all your issues. Let's see if Hal has a decent response before we all pass judgment though.
pass judgement or not...i think the pics speaks for itself..no?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by look2me40
Sometimes hard to tell in the pics, but I saw Bags car last night and it was worse than mine. The welds are not great at all, I had a pro welder tell me it was the worst weld he has every seen when I replaced the Blow Off Valve.

Ive kept my mouth shut for this long cause I was TRYING to work out my issues with Hal, he doesnt seem to want to help resolve them. It more about to him "Why is you car having the issues and mine isnt?" I mean just cause his doesnt have the problem, doesnt mean its my car's fault or mine.

I asked for another fan so I can at least drive the car in traffic, his response was "I have ZERO profit in your kit, cant send you a fan" So that was very uplifting to know he wanted to help me resolve it. I mean how can you expect the car to still cool correctly when you take out TWO fans and replace it with a smaller one that covers maybe 40% of the radiator front? It just cant cut. Its that simple.

Ive been a resonable man up till now, but this is getting out of hand when you got others like Kirk (bags) and Bryan (h2kfrosty) who has problems.

I mean is it my responsibility to cut the oil drain line down to size to prevent my turbo from dying cause HE failed to do it and cut corners by rapping it around an ENGINE MOUNT that moves? Certain things are flat out wrong and just cutting corners and creating pain and hassle on my part. Just not right. Im in the business of customer service, I work as a Technical Analyst in a propietary software company and I know how customers can get angry. I also own two Hotels and know how to run a business. So I dont put myself on a high horse and think I needed to be treated like a king. If anything treat me fair, not like a punk.

Dixit
Old 05-05-2003, 08:03 AM
wat

Originally posted by DanNY

pass judgement or not...i think the pics speaks for itself..no?

Yeah...what I was saying was that if Hal comes back and says 'I will re-do all the work until you are satisfied', then that is an appropriate response. I acknowledge the pics look pretty sh1tty. There are two sides to every story, but I think it would be kinda hard for Hal to come up with something to counteract this one.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by breaux124

Why doesn't Kevin help develop a turbo kit?
I have the ability to do so, but Nigel is my friend and I won't screw him over.

Friendship > Business
Old 05-05-2003, 08:13 AM
Boost.....

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Friendship > Business
Amen to that....Partnerships.

Being in sales, people buy from people. Relationships are what really matter.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Ive kept my mouth shut for this long cause I was TRYING to work out my issues with Hal, he doesnt seem to want to help resolve them. It more about to him "Why is you car having the issues and mine isnt?" I mean just cause his doesnt have the problem, doesnt mean its my car's fault or mine.

Dixit

fukk it dixit you did right by keeping it on the DL & your now letting it be know as he has not been reasonably able to help you....I say you & the other peeps look @ legal action....I mean you got pics of the crap job he did & keep receipts showing that you spent $$$ on getting his crapjob fixed....seriously

i'v read the other thread before....now you!?!?!? thats too much b.s. from this guy
Old 05-05-2003, 08:15 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Damn.. those welds are kinda hokey..

is it Stainless Steel or Aluminum? AL is alot harder to weld than Steel is, but a professional welder would not let the extra 'goo' get clumped up like that....

sorry to hear about that. but i'm sure there is a reasonable explination for everything...

i've been in that position before.. you get all excited for something new, and when you get it, its not really what you expected and its like the floor dropped from under you.. itll get better.. maybe Hal has some words to explain to everybody...
Old 05-05-2003, 08:17 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Friendship > Business
This is actually directed to both Nigel and Kevin, is there a way the two of you could get together to "produce" a kit? Since Kevin seems more "****" ( ) about how things work and are installed on his machine I am sure that he could give wonderous input to Nigel. You know like proper bent piping in the correct lengths and so on.

I would not expect it to be "perfect" (as there are always anomalies) but I would believe some of the more corse problems could be hammered out.

I also would be interested in paying money for consulting with the proper agreement from the two of you. Time = Money. I dont mind spending it if proper results are had.

I would hope Friendship > Business.....else where would the world be today?

Its a shame this has come to this for Dixit. I was seriously considering Hal, but as more and more came to light I am glad it will take me until Aug to have all the proper funds saved up. It allows us consumers to "watch" what is going on.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:17 AM

My sis could do better welds than those. seriously!! And she's 8. Sorry for all tthe trouble you went through. It's just one of those day's. And I had one of those day when I installed my Indiglo door sills.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i think the pictures tell the story and as the old saying goes...pictures are worth 1000 words. sorry to see this and good luck getting it all resolved.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:21 AM
Got Bent?

I've seen the setup with my own eyes and the pics are only part of the story...
Old 05-05-2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
Damn.. those welds are kinda hokey..

is it Stainless Steel or Aluminum? AL is alot harder to weld than Steel is, but a professional welder would not let the extra 'goo' get clumped up like that....

It is the cheaper stuff, I forget exactly what it is called but it is referred to as Aluminized Steel. Basically I believe what Im trying to explain is that it is basically steel pipes but aluminum coating to minimize rust. Dude who welded the HKS SSQV BOV Flange on there did it in 30secs and the weld looks like art. Pure smooth artistic weld. He just hated all the other welds.

Dixit
Old 05-05-2003, 08:25 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
I've seen the setup with my own eyes and the pics are only part of the story...
hmmm...does it get worst or better?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:27 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by DanNY

hmmm...does it get worst or better?
not better
Old 05-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Colonel

This is actually directed to both Nigel and Kevin, is there a way the two of you could get together to "produce" a kit? Since Kevin seems more "****" ( ) about how things work and are installed on his machine I am sure that he could give wonderous input to Nigel. You know like proper bent piping in the correct lengths and so on.

I would not expect it to be "perfect" (as there are always anomalies) but I would believe some of the more corse problems could be hammered out.

I also would be interested in paying money for consulting with the proper agreement from the two of you. Time = Money. I dont mind spending it if proper results are had.

I would hope Friendship > Business.....else where would the world be today?

Its a shame this has come to this for Dixit. I was seriously considering Hal, but as more and more came to light I am glad it will take me until Aug to have all the proper funds saved up. It allows us consumers to "watch" what is going on.
With Nigel working with PFI and me working with my source(s), I don't see this becoming a reality unless we all come to an agreement. I've given numerous suggestions/opinions/comments to Nigel when he stopped by on his business trip and he has taken my list to PFI. PFI's kit will improve... just give it time.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

After reading things like this, I seriously wonder how many people are keeping things away from us when it comes to these turbo Maximas. Everyone who has a turbo Max says it's the best thing ever, but then something like this pops up and we find out many of the turbo guys are experiencing problems (right after install too). I wish people would be more honest and upfront about these turbos because acting like everything is great and then telling the truth 2 months later is a more problem. While I'd never consider a turbo Max (simply because of the reliability), there are plenty of people who want the turbos and figure everything will work perfectly. It's not true.

Two primary concerns I've had with these turbo kits were rattles and heat. Concerning rattles, I just don't see how these kits couldn't rattle and clank with all the tight piping and such. The stock exhaust is prone to rattling if it's just .5" off and I don't see cramming another 10' of piping in there will help the issue. The VQ moves around in it's mounts and it will shift everything depending on throttle position, road surface, heat, etc. As for heat, as most of us know, turbos make a ton of heat and the motor needs as much cooling as possible. The lack of the secondary fan boggles my mind. Heat kills, pure and simple. I guess the truth is out now.

The welds, silicone fitment, pipe wrapping, and general work is pretty bad especially for the cost involved. However everyone needs to realize this is a "custom" kit and you never get OEM quality with "one off" kits. From what I've seen, every kit Hal as made looks a little different. I can't tell if he's fine tuning the design or making it up as he goes along. Either way, each kit seems different therefore you'll get different results.

Dave
Old 05-05-2003, 08:32 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

sorry Dixit

Quick Reply: MAJOR Turbo problems with Hal's kit. VERY LONG post.