General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

just ran without the resanator

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 07:37 PM

I took off the L-pipe between the air intake and the box under the battery. There did not seem to be any more noise, the interesting thing was that the noise that was there seemed to be a little deeper and meaner, it comes on at 3000 and keeps on until about 5,500. By removing that pipe it leaves on hell of a spot to make a homemade cold air intake. has anybody else done this? sorry about the spelling on the subject
Old 01-24-2001, 08:14 AM

Be nice to my car...
Old 01-24-2001, 09:16 AM

I was stunned when I traced the path of that pipe back to a box that is sealed! No air can get into it at all. It seems like such a waste, other than making that intake a little quieter. My mind is brainstorming up an idea for an intake, my only problem is finding a small scoop and a good way to fasten in to the car otner than the usual duct-tape. Have you noticed a decrease in your fuel economy in the last month? Mine seems to be pretty bad lately, I use Amoco premium, maybe it is the colder weather, or I am being a lead foot and not realizing it. I was wondering if they are starting to use oxyginated fuel in our area.
Old 01-24-2001, 09:50 AM

I can't tell you about the milegae b/c I've been playing with my new intake and getting the worst mileage in my car's history (about 20mpg!). I almost always get at least 23 in town and 25+ on the hwy. I'd say the intake jerry rigging isn't worth it. I have seen the JWT pop chargers for sale on this site for $100. It gives 5 hp or something and maybe 1 mpg better mileage. We can't use a CAI in IA or it'd be clogeed with snow/sand/salt in 5 minutes. The intake + Y pipe is supposed to yield 20 hp. Those gains are good enough for me to keep up with the new MAxs and that's fine by me. I get to pay for a 6 year old car registration/insurance and get 2001 performance! Gotta like that. Got that gear oil changed yet, again?
Old 01-24-2001, 09:55 AM

I am waiting untill the weekend so I can reasearch the issue some more. The dealer told me that GL-5 is fine but they don't recommend synthetic. Due to the numerous awnsers I am getting I decided to check into it some more. Peoples have been using synthetic on this site for a while and I have not heard about any problems.
Old 01-24-2001, 10:01 AM

Don't think oxyginated gas has hit....

Iowa yet. None of our large metro areas have air problems needing it. We may get stuck with ethanol soon though if the ethanol industry and certain politicians have their way and get it made madintory like they've been trying to do the last couple of years.

Originally posted by buch434
I was stunned when I traced the path of that pipe back to a box that is sealed! No air can get into it at all. It seems like such a waste, other than making that intake a little quieter. My mind is brainstorming up an idea for an intake, my only problem is finding a small scoop and a good way to fasten in to the car otner than the usual duct-tape. Have you noticed a decrease in your fuel economy in the last month? Mine seems to be pretty bad lately, I use Amoco premium, maybe it is the colder weather, or I am being a lead foot and not realizing it. I was wondering if they are starting to use oxyginated fuel in our area.
Old 01-24-2001, 10:56 AM

I'm all for ethanol BUT according to my research it does not offer the same performance as non-ehthanol fuel. I used to buy it b/c (1) it's the same/lower price than non ethanol), (2) It is usually the mid/high grade octane, (3) help with lower emissions and (4) help out the ole Iowa Family farmer. In fact, I've read car manuals that state you should expect decreased fuel mileage when using ethanol (of the sam eoctane rating) b/c ethanol contains less energy. After reading that, I've stopped using ethanol buit have yet to compare my mileage.

What dealer did you call? The one in Ames? Unfortunately there is a lack of import expertise in Iowa. Maybe some support for Honda but that's it! I've had problems with midwest small city Nissan dealers lack of knowledge and don't really trust them. I'd call a speed shop or a reputable mechanic rather than the dealer in Ames...