General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Blew my 5 spd...... :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Blew my 5 spd...... :(

Well you guys can add me to the blown 5 spd transmission list. Today 5/15 I went o a local 1/8 mi tracks to practice drag racing. I did 4 runs with no problems what so ever. But on the 5th run, I shifted into 1st with no problem, shifted into 2nd no prblem there, then I shifted into third and released the clutch and.... BOOM I hear this grinding noise follwed by crunching noise. So I get out of gear, and slow down. I'm like WTF? And then it hit me, I blew the trans. I tried to get into first, or second gear but the shifter would not go in. I put the stick into 3rd, and nothing but a slight grind. 4th, 5th and reverse work fine. FWAK I'm ****ed. I don't even have a Y-pipe, and I blew my shiet. I was granny shifting, I was not on the bottle, I wasn't even running on slicks. In this Run I was not sqeezing, I was just pacticing my launches.
What could have caused this? My clutch, or STS? The trans had no bearing problems or leaks. I was using Redline MT90 fluid.

I have the following mods:
Hybrid Intake
50 Shot Of N2O
1 step colder plugs
ACT clutch
Stillen STS
Cat-back exhaust

Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:46 PM

just sell mr ur stock rims and everything will be better
Old 05-15-2003, 07:47 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Sorry to hear that. It seems nissan just blessed the 5spd's with a weak 3rd gear...
Old 05-15-2003, 08:43 PM
Ramius83

As was in my case, I think one of my synchros went bad and that was that......

Old 05-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

It may have been the ACT clutch. It has been known to shatter 3rd gear.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:37 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
It may have been the ACT clutch. It has been known to shatter 3rd gear.
that's the first thing i noticed when he mentioned his list of mods. Damn, i mean i know people say "yeah it's not the clutch, it's the driver " but i think i would be scared to get an ACT still.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

just blew my 5 spd two weeks ago - i just got it back today. i also have an act and i also blew it going into third. i can't place too much of the blame on the act though - the tranny has 110k on it and 80k of those have been me. this is also the tranny i learned to drive stick on. new tranny feels real nice though =)
Old 05-16-2003, 05:47 AM

I still would not blame that on the clutch. I blew my third and I dont blame it on the clutch, I blame it on myself for the way I drive once in a while or when request to give rides.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:33 AM

Jay, but do you have an ACT?

It does seem that majority of people do have ACT, perhaps this clutch isn't the best choice for people purchasing clutches.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Ramius83

The reason that many people are blaming the ACTs is because that is the clutch that is in the car when it blows the tranny. The stock clutch was designed to actually slip when it comes into contact with the flywheel. The slight slipping is what softens the force of the shift into the next gear. As we know, the ACT eliminates this. So, with the extra force of the shift being transferred into the transmission, of course something may happen.

I don't think the clutch is the blame of all our problems, I think it is the combo of either a bad driver or a faulty transmission. When people say that we have a "weak 3rd gear", that is NOT true because all our gears are made in the exact same location and are comprised of the same metal alloys. So, really any gear can go out on you, as my 5th was the first to go.

The actual ACT clutch is a GREAT clutch because of its holding power. It has proven itself time and time again. If you are going to mod your transmission and clutch components, then you KNOW that you are taking a risk of a transmission/clutch failure.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Ramius83
The reason that many people are blaming the ACTs is because that is the clutch that is in the car when it blows the tranny. The stock clutch was designed to actually slip when it comes into contact with the flywheel. The slight slipping is what softens the force of the shift into the next gear. As we know, the ACT eliminates this. So, with the extra force of the shift being transferred into the transmission, of course something may happen.

I don't think the clutch is the blame of all our problems, I think it is the combo of either a bad driver or a faulty transmission. When people say that we have a "weak 3rd gear", that is NOT true because all our gears are made in the exact same location and are comprised of the same metal alloys. So, really any gear can go out on you, as my 5th was the first to go.

The actual ACT clutch is a GREAT clutch because of its holding power. It has proven itself time and time again. If you are going to mod your transmission and clutch components, then you KNOW that you are taking a risk of a transmission/clutch failure.
1fstmax: VERY sorry to hear about this!! it will all be better though (cryo treat this time)

ramius, very well said except the not a weak 3rd gear part.. maybe it is not weaker, but for some reason it is the gear to almost always go on the 5spd tranny's - whether it be weaker, abused more, etc. bad driver? well i don't think i had ever ground 3rd haha , and my 3rd went. weird?

I do agree though, it is not ACT's fault. You either have the grip that you need and make sure your tranny is ready for it (or pay the consequences in some cases), or, use stock slipping clutch and dont have to worry about tranny so much. There comes a point of power though where stock clutch can not hold it anymore, even if the clutch is brand new. ACT was a godsend imo.

sad sad sight:

it's all better when this is ready:
Old 05-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Ramius83

Originally posted by hlh0501

1fstmax: VERY sorry to hear about this!! it will all be better though (cryo treat this time)

ramius, very well said except the not a weak 3rd gear part.. maybe it is not weaker, but for some reason it is the gear to almost always go on the 5spd tranny's - whether it be weaker, abused more, etc. bad driver? well i don't think i had ever ground 3rd haha , and my 3rd went. weird?

I do agree though, it is not ACT's fault. You either have the grip that you need and make sure your tranny is ready for it (or pay the consequences in some cases), or, use stock slipping clutch and dont have to worry about tranny so much. There comes a point of power though where stock clutch can not hold it anymore, even if the clutch is brand new. ACT was a godsend imo.

sad sad sight:

it's all better when this is ready:
Is that powdercoated?????

Old 05-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Big surprise, another ACT clutch equipped Maxima that blew 3rd.

I think the ACT is definately to blame and blowing 3rd gear makes complete sense to me. Launching in 1st doesn't seem to cause many problems because most of us spin off the line a little which reduces the initial shock of the clutch engaging. The 1-2 shift is really no different because the tires will almost always spin, especially the 2nd. Then comes the 2-3 shift. On most tracks, traction is slightly better and spinning in 3rd isn't an issue with the ACT. What I see happening is when the clutch grabs and the track grabs, the torque is placed directly to the weakest part of the tranny (the gears). After some abuse, things become stressed and the next thing you know the gear is crushed.

Do a quick search and you'll see that nearly ALL of Maximas that have had tranny failures are running ACT clutches. It's just not a random occurance. Yes, the Maxima tranny is compromised when you install an ACT clutch. If you still want to run with an ACT clutch (necessary if you're running boost or nitrous), then you're going to have to release the clutch softer on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. You'll definately be slower, but at least you won't be dropping trannies. If you plan on staying NA, then buy the factory clutch again. I'm running the stock clutch with 95K miles and over 120+ passes with no signs of it failing. I shift very hard into every gear (no powershifting though). Nealoc is running the stock clutch too and he has 140K miles and he's running slicks. Why in the world would anyone who's running NA want to get any other clutch than the stocker? Sure, you can kill the stock clutch pretty quickly if you constantly abuse it and your shifting skills are lacking, but otherwise it will last a long time plus it's driveability is great.

Dave
Old 05-16-2003, 09:47 AM

I wonder if this stage one exedy clutch is better at least it has a little less holding power.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

I think the ACT is definately to blame and blowing 3rd gear makes complete sense to me. Launching in 1st doesn't seem to cause many problems because most of us spin off the line a little which reduces the initial shock of the clutch engaging. The 1-2 shift is really no different because the tires will almost always spin, especially the 2nd. Then comes the 2-3 shift. On most tracks, traction is slightly better and spinning in 3rd isn't an issue with the ACT. What I see happening is when the clutch grabs and the track grabs, the torque is placed directly to the weakest part of the tranny (the gears). After some abuse, things become stressed and the next thing you know the gear is crushed.

Do a quick search and you'll see that nearly ALL of Maximas that have had tranny failures are running ACT clutches. It's just not a random occurance. Yes, the Maxima tranny is compromised when you install an ACT clutch. If you still want to run with an ACT clutch (necessary if you're running boost or nitrous), then you're going to have to release the clutch softer on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. You'll definately be slower, but at least you won't be dropping trannies. If you plan on staying NA, then buy the factory clutch again. I'm running the stock clutch with 95K miles and over 120+ passes with no signs of it failing. I shift very hard into every gear (no powershifting though). Nealoc is running the stock clutch too and he has 140K miles and he's running slicks. Why in the world would anyone who's running NA want to get any other clutch than the stocker? Sure, you can kill the stock clutch pretty quickly if you constantly abuse it and your shifting skills are lacking, but otherwise it will last a long time plus it's driveability is great.

Dave

Dave B - maxima.org cynic.

(Although I agree with you on this one)
Old 05-16-2003, 10:35 AM

I have a ACT clutch, lots of these guys if you notice are NA, where is our counterparts that are boosted or spraying and have twice the HP and are not blowing trannies? Ramius blew 5th gear, is ACT to blame to break 5th gear? Me taking off like I got no sense cracking the tranny case and breaking 3 gears is that ACT's fault or is it my fault? My fault. I installed an ACT on a member thats not even half as modified as you other guys and would you believe the way he drives his tranny will be going out soon since he doesnt want to listen to me to tone it down some? Obviously the clutch grabs that is what is intended to do? what do you guys want out of a performance clutch, for it to slip and be comfortable? F*ck all I ever see is well this is not good for our cars it is the parts fault, these springs suck, these springs break axles and all that BSh!t, with all these complaints and blaming parts I dont think any manufacturer/tuner is going to want to build anything for us if we keep on complaining like a bunch of female h*es.

If ACT was to blame how on gods earth did SR20DEN break a brand new tranny spraying on a 2K2 maxima? he obviously does not have a ACT, who is going to take the blame for that one?

One more thing to add, Mardigrasmax has the fastest maxima in the US, his using a 6 puck cluth, his tranny is not crotreated I d like to know why his axles and tranny has not gone out on him. Keep in mind the guy is boosted and spraying?

Hope I didnt hurt anyones' feelings
Old 05-16-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
Not too many other brnads (Centerforce, Exedy, Clutchmasters, etc.) have the blowing problem the ACT does.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by JAY25
I have a ACT clutch, lots of these guys if you notice are NA, where is our counterparts that are boosted or spraying and have twice the HP and are not blowing trannies? Ramius blew 5th gear, is ACT to blame to break 5th gear? Me taking off like I got no sense cracking the tranny case and breaking 3 gears is that ACT's fault or is it my fault? My fault. I installed an ACT on a member thats not even half as modified as you other guys and would you believe the way he drives his tranny will be going out soon since he doesnt want to listen to me to tone it down some? Obviously the clutch grabs that is what is intended to do? what do you guys want out of a performance clutch, for it to slip and be comfortable? F*ck all I ever see is well this is not good for our cars it is the parts fault, these springs suck, these springs break axles and all that BSh!t, with all these complaints and blaming parts I dont think any manufacturer/tuner is going to want to build anything for us if we keep on complaining like a bunch of female h*es.

If ACT was to blame how on gods earth did SR20DEN break a brand new tranny spraying on a 2K2 maxima? he obviously does not have a ACT, who is going to take the blame for that one?

One more thing to add, Mardigrasmax has the fastest maxima in the US, his using a 6 puck cluth, his tranny is not crotreated I d like to know why his axles and tranny has not gone out on him. Keep in mind the guy is boosted and spraying?

Well my third went out like the above people's, and it was caused by the force. I don't consder myself a hard shifter or anything like that. If I had to do it over again I would probably look into what Mardisgras is running, I imagine his tranny saw more force then mine did.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:15 AM
I'm needing a caw

Centerforce will break before the tranny will(as well as having a different operating theory). No one uses Clutchmasters, Exedy doesn't grab as hard nor is there a long enough history. The ONLY clutch that people have used for any length of time is the ACT.

Originally posted by BrianV

Not too many other brnads (Centerforce, Exedy, Clutchmasters, etc.) have the blowing problem the ACT does.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:20 AM

I would blame the MT 90 fluid. Somehow every new manual owner changes the fluid to MT 90 and then complaining about shifting. How is this fluid any better then stock? Can withstand higher temps? Then are you really getting your gearbox all that hot? How do you know, you got a temp gauge in there? Just 'cause its aftermarket doesnt mean it is good.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:28 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah, how would the fluid break the gear? No logical at all. It's also not a temp issue. It's a strength issue. This is not an auto tranny

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I would blame the MT 90 fluid. Somehow every new manual owner changes the fluid to MT 90 and then complaining about shifting. How is this fluid any better then stock? Can withstand higher temps? Then are you really getting your gearbox all that hot? How do you know, you got a temp gauge in there? Just 'cause its aftermarket doesnt mean it is good.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:08 PM

As a said before (OT, I know, but just responding) - I have pretty good proof (pictures and analysis) from Marti at Raxles that my car being too low did blow my axles.

But as I said before multiple times, it wasn't JUST the springs. It was the horrid Seattle road conditions also. The suspension being too low and hitting bumps together is what caused it. Not just the springs.

Many many people have Sprints and no issues. I know this and don't deny it.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:28 PM

I thought that Mardigras used clutchmaster ?

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Ah, how would the fluid break the gear? No logical at all. It's also not a temp issue. It's a strength issue. This is not an auto tranny

Old 05-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

JWT clutches
Old 05-16-2003, 01:14 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Dave B. is right, anyone who doesn't have some kind of forced induction doesn't need the ACT clutch. Theres not enough power there, so why hound your transmission with an overly harsh clutch? Us with some kind of boost however require it.

So basically...everyone with boost is screwed.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:48 PM

you can go the JWT route or clutchmasters route like he did. Apparently his pushing his car way beyond what you and anyone else is and his tranny is holding up pretty good.

Jeff you are right the Centerforce will start slipping before the tranny breaks
Old 05-16-2003, 02:01 PM

Nissan needs to take a lesson from GM in "how to make a strong transmission 101"
Old 05-16-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

What does my portion of the quote have to do with your question? Maybe Mardi does use a Clutchmaster? So? That's what.. one? How about 2 or 3? That's still not enough guys to form any type of opinion.

Originally posted by infinitiblast
I thought that Mardigras used clutchmaster ?

Old 05-16-2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by slammed95

I really think you should buy a domestic with a v8.

What makes you think I like Domestic V8's?? I'm more of a small displacement 4 cylinder man myself. Those 1.8L Jetta's and Civics sound downright MEAN with exhausts, not to mention how intimidating they look.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:58 PM

This problem isn't much different from the se-r tranny breaking 3rd gear also. However we now know that once you get past a certain power level the gear will destroy itself. The only way around it is to buy the $3000 PAR tranny. Also you guys might want to try a stock clutch disk with the ACT Presure plate.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:58 PM

Yeah, real intimidating......

Anyway, back on topic. I bought the ACT with plans to go boosted. This was just after I purchased the car and I wish that I never had gotten it (the clutch that is). I haven't blown my third yet, though reverse has managed to grenade recently. Not the clutches fault, i was being stupid, and no I wasn't doing burnouts in reverse. However, if you're planning on staying NA then like people have been saying... STOCK is the way to go. The chatter and harsh shifts that come along with the ACT aren't worth it. The stock clutch will more than hold the NA power. And it tends to last quite a while if you're not abusing it constantly. Just my .02
Old 05-16-2003, 04:50 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Centerforce will break before the tranny will(as well as having a different operating theory).

I have a centerforce in my car... came w/ it when i bought it actually, and it's making weird *** noises. I am sure something is broken because everytime i engage the clutch, it sounds like something is rattling or loose. When i take tranny off, i will see if it is or not and take pics.

So now, how many cars have blown 3rd gear WITHOUT using the ACT clutch?
Old 05-16-2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s

I am sure something is broken because everytime i engage the clutch, it sounds like something is rattling or loose. When
Is this when you try to engage into first w/o pressing the gas pedal? This is normal with the ACT's. If you engage without any gas feedback, the dash and gauges will shake pretty wildly, you gotta revv to 1500rpm to smoothly engage. It's all part of the hard clamping force, and is normal.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:22 PM

Thanks guys for your comments. I found another trans, so I should be going in next week. I don't think that my clutch was at fault for the transmission braking. It was me, because I was really tired and nearly falling asleep in the staging area. So I'm going to continue using the ACT clutch.

Thanks again,
Alfonso
Old 05-16-2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Nissan needs to take a lesson from GM in "how to make a strong transmission 101"
Ehh my friend who has a 2001 SS has gone through 2 auto trannies, and he's not modified in anyway.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:36 PM

I couldn't agree more.

Alfonso
Old 05-16-2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX

Ehh my friend who has a 2001 SS has gone through 2 auto trannies, and he's not modified in anyway.

Nuetral drops?? Constant flooring it? Ripping through the gears on a cold start? Manually downshifting ?
Old 05-16-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Nuetral drops?? Constant flooring it? Ripping through the gears on a cold start? Manually downshifting ?
No neutral drops, or hard cold take off's. He did floor it anytime he could. But I don't think that would cause to fail so rapidly. But he so dissapointed with that POS that he wants to sell it, and go with something else.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Na, you didn't hurt my feelings.

I really don't see your rational in the first paragraph. You're saying people should be completely fine having aftermarket parts destroy expensive trannies? "Yeah, WHATEVER!!!! (in the voice of that song out right now).

I'm going to have to explain some things. Guys that run nitrous, SCs, and turbos really need to run heavier duty clutches simply because they're pushing a ton more torque. As most of us know, clutches are rated in torque, not HP. With the heavier duty clutch comes the chance to break things a lot easier. Many of the boosted guys DO NOT shift hard nor launch terribly hard. From what I've heard from Mardigras, he does complete lift throttle slow shifts. He launches hard which is risky, but people blowing 1st is pretty rare so he risks it. 3rd and 4th gear seem to be the weakest judging from Org. 5th is probably just as easy to blow, but banging a 4-5 shift is quite rare seeing most of us stop at the top of 3rd. SR20DN blew his tranny probably because he was pushing an extra 150fwtq. Yes, that will blow things regardless of the clutch. It's a risk you take.

Running a heavy duty clutch on a NA Maxima makes absolutely no sense to me. It doesn't improve your times and it sure as hell doesn't improve driveability. You've got to admit that there is a strong coorelation between the ACT clutch and blown trannies. I don't blame the manufactuar, I blame the owner for pushing the car too hard with something that's known to break things.

Dave
Old 05-16-2003, 09:55 PM

I think the problem will be the ACT clutch, but it is NOT the ACT clutches fault. It's a synergy of the driveline. The ACT clutch is much stronger so it has the ability to transfer more of the VQ's TQ to the tranny. The VQ makes plenty of low end TQ so the ACT will shove it at the tranny more aggressively. Because of it'somewhat abrupt and fierce gear engagement, when compared to the stock clutch, The ACT clutch would have a tendency to hurt the tranny more over time. I also feel the same way about STS's. They make your shifting shorter, but also make your gear engagement more aggressive. An STS equiped tranny, I'm sure, will wear out synchros faster than a non STS equiped tranny.

DW

Quick Reply: Blew my 5 spd...... :(