General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ATTN; 98se about the S4....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2001, 05:04 PM

You may want to talk to MadMax2k, he testdrove an S4 before he bought his 2k Max. He surly did not want the S4 for the power. He had a Jetta that was putting down over 300 at the wheels. He has also ran 14.3@97 with cia and y-pipe on his 2k. The S4 is a VERY sweet car but damn for 35-40 grand, than to chip it,just an exhaust is like 1000bucks. I would shop around man.
Old 01-25-2001, 05:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

FWIW there are some guys over at http://www.260hp.com which is a Acura CL site, that are claiming that the Type S can run with the S4. Then again all those Type S owners say they run Maximas too! The only bad thing about the S4 is that it is 3500+ lbs.

The S4 is still an awesome car. Chip it and smash all those Type S.
Old 01-25-2001, 06:19 PM

yeah, wait till the S4 owner throws in that chip.. Bye bye Type-S..

ZuM

Originally posted by speedtrip
FWIW there are some guys over at http://www.260hp.com which is a Acura CL site, that are claiming that the Type S can run with the S4. Then again all those Type S owners say they run Maximas too! The only bad thing about the S4 is that it is 3500+ lbs.

The S4 is still an awesome car. Chip it and smash all those Type S.
Old 01-25-2001, 08:36 PM

Zumble

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

Here is the thing, i love this car because it HAS been referred to as "the ultimate sleeper" by many different sources,small sublte badges~17inch alloys~and a different grille are the only thing that marks the 250hp S-4 from the 190hp A-4. The only reason i put up that link is because i have buddies who have s-4's(i've been meeting more n more in town) and they are saying what they pulled when they were bone stock, and up top's review isn't far from the truth! I guess its a mute point,i like it cause its fast as hell 5.6 0-60. maybe u didn't catch that i already have bought the car? as in its a done deal, im not regreting it either!
P.S. I still have my max and love it, wife is driving it!
Old 01-25-2001, 08:43 PM

just curious 98max, did u say a jetta was pulling around 300hp at the wheels? Do you realize how easy it would be for me to mod this car upwards of 300+ since im already sitting on 250hp bone stock? Don't misunderstand me, im not racing vipers but this car is much much faster than i get the feeling ur understanding, especially faster than any jetta/passat out there stock to stock...do some research if ur bored.....you'll see!
Old 01-25-2001, 09:21 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

My next car is a used S4 Avant. Yep, you heard me. A station wagon, fellas!!!!! I'll chip it and add some other fun gadgets to get it into the 320-340hp range. AND it will be driven at the 1/4 mile track I'd love to the faces of gearheads as this wickedly little station wagon bullets down the 1320 in the ultra-low 13s.

Dave
Old 01-25-2001, 09:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I here ya Dave, my wife gets the next new vehicle and she wants a wagon I'm pushing for and S4A also! She needs the extra power to get the kid to school on time! LOL
Old 01-25-2001, 09:27 PM

now thats what

im talking about bro. Same car. Same specs. Same engine. Different bodies. I hope it goes well and lemme know what ur plans r and where/how ur doing it. The thing is, im a lil hesitant to mod it because its a competitor stock and would be more reliable if it wasn't. I dunno, i said the same thing about my max and $ keeps getting dumped into it. Hey gl on your purchase!!!!
Old 01-25-2001, 09:32 PM

I fell in love with the audi S4

the moment I was watching the races and I saw it sitting on the A** of a Viper the entire race. Taking second place that race... Very impressive running against a 10/12 cylinder (don't remember which)
Don't own one, but I plan to.
Old 01-25-2001, 09:39 PM

wow

haven't seen one in action like that but there are incidents of stuff like that all the time around. From now an owners perspective, you'll never ever ever regret it! Here is a question, when u start getting down in the mid 5's from 0-60, i mean damn, how much faster can it get, you know what im saying?
Old 01-25-2001, 09:43 PM

Re: wow

No, here is the thing that baffles, and yet pisses me the hell off... I love Audi's as well as Porsche's, but every time I see the races, Audi is just toasting those porsches, it's like, what the hell is wrong with you guys, you guys are probably runny AWD also... and the car costs 2X as much.. What's wrong w/ porsche... (I still wouldn't mind having one)
Old 01-25-2001, 10:58 PM

Re: Re: wow

Are you talking about touring car races? because those are full blown race cars. You can't compare.. Each car probably costs as much as another.

ZuM

Originally posted by PiotrC70
No, here is the thing that baffles, and yet pisses me the hell off... I love Audi's as well as Porsche's, but every time I see the races, Audi is just toasting those porsches, it's like, what the hell is wrong with you guys, you guys are probably runny AWD also... and the car costs 2X as much.. What's wrong w/ porsche... (I still wouldn't mind having one)
Old 01-26-2001, 06:33 AM

yo..

i live in nj and there is a guy in ATCO that races at the track all the time....i've gone head to head with him in my auto a few times..up to about 40 we are head to head then bye bye maxipad after that..he consistently puts up 13.3's..about 2 months ago i saw him at UPS dropping off some car stuff and i talked to him a lil bit..he said with his NEW turbos he should have it in 12's easily...he has the full carbon fiber exterior treatment, aero kit, rims, EVERYTHING..car is sweet as hell..
Old 01-26-2001, 11:10 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Mid-5 second 0-60s aren't that fast...for me I had a 94 Z28 automatic that was running 13.4s@104mph when I got rid of it. Low to mid 13s equal high 4/low 5 second 0-60s. I could have easily handled a car that was faster. When I got rid of Z28, it was feeling slow to me

Dave
Old 01-26-2001, 11:27 AM

dave, hehe your funny

so lemme get this straight, you don't think the M3 is fast? Mustang Gt, Camaro z28's? and neither the S4? However, you HAD a z28 and wanted MORE power, so now your with a max shooting for low 14's? I think your confusing me! If you wanted more power than why a max? I think when a s4 can hang with porsche's,corvettes, etc etc with very few mods(stock is 250hp,1/4 high 13's) your kidding yourself when u say it isn't THAT fast. Lemme take you for a ride, ill change your mind!! Good luck with shooting for low 14's man, im already there.
Old 01-26-2001, 11:27 AM

dave, hehe your funny

so lemme get this straight, you don't think the M3 is fast? Mustang Gt, Camaro z28's? and neither the S4? However, you HAD a z28 and wanted MORE power, so now your with a max shooting for low 14's? I think your confusing me! If you wanted more power than why a max? I think when a s4 can hang with porsche's,corvettes, etc etc with very few mods(stock is 250hp,1/4 high 13's) your kidding yourself when u say it isn't THAT fast. Lemme take you for a ride, ill change your mind!! Good luck with shooting for low 14's man, im already there.
ps. don't forget all wheel drive, id make easy money of your camaro
Old 01-28-2001, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by 98se
just curious 98max, did u say a jetta was pulling around 300hp at the wheels? Do you realize how easy it would be for me to mod this car upwards of 300+ since im already sitting on 250hp bone stock? Don't misunderstand me, im not racing vipers but this car is much much faster than i get the feeling ur understanding, especially faster than any jetta/passat out there stock to stock...do some research if ur bored.....you'll see!
Well, congrats on your S4. I am not ******* you at all man. The S4 is a very SWEET car. I just cant see paying that much for a CAR. But if you have the cashflo you are the Man. I do relize how easy it will be for you to get 300+ with that car, and I do relize how fast the car is. It is a sleeper to people who dont know about it. So stock to stock you can beet any Jetta/passat, yes I will give you that BUT for less than 20grand(including the car) my friend has a Jetta that is running low 13s @ almost 108mph do you know how fast that is? S4 98-99mph vs. 108mph that is top end pull witch once the wieght catches up with the S4 is not very fast anymore. But stock to stock you are deffinatly right about that. And I would buy a S4 over a cl-S any day.

[Edited by 98MAX on 01-28-2001 at 10:54 AM]
Old 01-28-2001, 01:50 PM

okay, i see what your saying now, its more a money thing and yes, it is an expensive car. from what i thought you were saying is that it basically was a sedan killer, and i thought that was a bit off. Your totally right about passats/jettas, they too are easily moded. Right now im looking at getting the car broken in and then chipping it, that will put me exactly where i want to be(315hp low to mid 13's). See ya around man, don't forget, i too still own my maxima and love it!!!!
Old 01-28-2001, 01:55 PM
Zam

Let me jump in on this.

The S4 is sweet. It beat out the M3 in C&Ds comparo. It is AWD and is beautiful in and out. I'd love to get one too, but this is probably going to be the last model year for that body style.

As far as the CL-S, why is everyone ******* it out? It too is beautiful in and out and probably will beat out most Maximas.. Just because there are d!ckhead Honda drivers, doesn't mean the whole line of cars are crap.

I'd take the Acura over the S4 because of
1)price
2)first year of body style
3)260hp engine
4)Honda/Acura high resale value

On the other hand, the S4 is better because..
1)AWD
2)Cool yellow color
3)two tone seats
4)Should be able to squeeze a close to invoice price
5)4 doors

It depends on what you want, but both cars are great values.
Old 01-28-2001, 03:30 PM

are they changin the body style? this is only the second year they have imported it from what i understand? i knew they were doing some changes to the s4 but i thought they were gonna leave the s4quattro alone? where can i find that info? thanks for ur help man
Old 01-28-2001, 07:30 PM

are they changin the body style? this is only the second year they have imported it from what i understand? i knew they were doing some changes to the s4 but i thought they were gonna leave the s4quattro alone? where can i find that info? thanks for ur help man
New model is coming out in 2003. It will probably be based on the new A4 body style (which I don't like as much). The latest rumor is that is will have the 4.2 V8 with 360HP (same motor as the S8 I guess). Sounds like it might be too heavy.

Rob
Old 01-28-2001, 10:03 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: dave, hehe your funny

Naaa, I wasn't saying I NEEDED more power, but I sure could have handled more power. If you own a Mustang or F-Body and you're not in the 12s, then you aren't near fast enough to compete with much on the track. That's the truth. Owning a musclecar makes you want more and more power. When you've got a sleeper, all you need is the element of surprise and to catch your opponet off guard. You might not win, but you will give them a scare. That's what I enjoy. It's also fun to smoke all those riceboys out there.

I got rid of the Z28 because I wanted/needed something more roomy and "fun" to drive. The Max fit my lifestyle perfectly.

Dave
Old 01-29-2001, 11:47 AM

i hosed an s4 on the freeway the other day
then again im a far cry from stock

hell i might sell my car for a specv-se-r sentra. who knows, its no the power you havem its the feeling of it that dies off because you grown used to the car so damn much. its annoying sometimes, then you go insearch of more hp. more money spent. more broken parts. so on and so forth

0-60 for my gsx is in the range of 4.7-4.0 depends on boost level and gas type

s4 is not bad out of the hole, just the fact being awd sucks on top end
has to drive 4 wheels, not two

ok i go
Old 01-29-2001, 09:12 PM

respectfully, i disagree, i also own a max and can't even think about 145, it was done in a heartbeat in the s4!!! So i beg to differ, also you must have had alot of mods to HOSE an s4, or he wasn't paying attention! Lets be honest, you would have to have s/c or something equivalent like huge shots of nos, oh btw, i still had more at 145, which suprised me cause i thought they were limited to 143 in U.S.--------)euro versions top out at 158!! either way, all things are relative(i.e., did he know u were racing?, driver skill/ability, traffic,etc etc) you can't really compare the cars!
Old 01-29-2001, 09:34 PM

bryan, i humbly apologize, didn't see your sig and that you had a gsx, thought you were maxin in a max, thats why the hella mods and thats why i said i had one too. If you truly are pushing 400+hp then yea, i beleive it! Funny thing is the cost for me is relatively low to get to 400+hp too! from what i've gathered around 2-3k. an easy 600-700 and im looking at 315! I need to break the car in first thought, arrggg, its tought when they are new!!!! See ya around man
Old 01-29-2001, 09:36 PM

well i guess i can look on the bright side, if ur at 400hp and im only stock at 250hp, our difference in 0-60 is just under a sec, that aint too bad huh? Oh yea, what's ur top end look like?
Old 01-29-2001, 10:14 PM

i say everyone just calm down and call it a day.
who cares? the more moeny you spend on a new car, the more of car you get, then the more moeny you spend to trick it out, the faster it gets. you think modded S4 is cool with low 13's, can you smoke a viper? nope, but the renntech benz can. see the point? you are never gonna have the fastest car, so just be happy with what you have.
Old 01-30-2001, 06:24 AM
JimW

Take your time with it-->

bryan, i humbly apologize, didn't see your sig and that you had a gsx, thought you were maxin in a max, thats why the hella mods and thats why i said i had one too. If you truly are pushing 400+hp then yea, i beleive it! Funny thing is the cost for me is relatively low to get to 400+hp too! from what i've gathered around 2-3k. an easy 600-700 and im looking at 315! I need to break the car in first thought, arrggg, its tought when they are new!!!! See ya around man
Learn how to drive it well in stock form, before you chip it. You can pull some very respectable numbers from it in stock form without beating on it. I would think that 14.0 flat is possible with a good driver behind the wheel. I personally ran 14.4's in my 2.7T 6 spd, and as you know, it weighs about 350lbs more than the S4 (I weighed in at 4040lbs that night)
Also beware of strange oil consumption until the first oil change. Just check it every week. Follow your owners manual for break in procedure, and you'll be fine.
It does cost a lot to modify the 2.7T (other than a chip) but that just means that you'll have to be creative. I won't spent $1100 for the exhaust for my car, I'll have one custom-made, which will probably cost half as much.
I'll also recommend a drop in K&N filter. Cost about $35, but I did notice a difference in throttle response, so in my book, it's well worth it.
Now that my car is broken in (just under 16k), I'll run it at the track again to see how much quicker it's gotten. It feels noticeably stronger than it did with half as many miles on it.
Good luck and enjoy. Just use your head to stay out of trouble. AWD and that power can quickly turn sour if exercised carelessly.