General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need help with my big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Need help with my big brake kit

I'm finally back from the desert and just had my big brake kit from Precision Brakes installed. Ran into a problem though. Man, those rotors are thick and those calipers are HUGE. The calipers where rubbing against the rims. Anyways, the shop ended up putting in washers as a temporary fix. Problem is that they said the bolts are too short. They're hanging on by 3 or 4 threads. Yikes! Finding longer bolts seems easy, but ran into problems trying to find an exact match. I ended up finding some at AutoZone, and will be bringing them in tomorrow to replace. Question is...If they don't fit, what are my options? Is it safe to drive around like this? They didn't recommend it. But I'm lost on what to do if these bolts don't fit.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:01 AM
SLOW

Couple options...

1) You can find some that will work at an AutoZone type place. It will take some searching and most likely some conversion from english to metric to check that the knurl, shoulder, and length are good. I've been working on this for like 3 days now. I need really long ones, I need like an extra 12mm, possibly 13.

2) You can get Nismo studs which come in 50 and 60mm lengths. Stock is 42mm so you do the math, they will be plenty long, but they also cost $8 a piece and that's WITH the Maxima.org discount from Courtesy nissan. So you'll be dropping $80 on lug studs if you go this route. But those are your only options.

BTW what are you doing for spacers? My suggestion is to get a shop to cut the "hats" off your old rotors to the desired thickness with a plasma cutter and viola... predrilled spacers!
Old 06-06-2003, 01:18 AM
Former Sponsor

get an H&R Wheel spacer kit with hubcentric spacers and extended studs

thats what I had to do for one of my sets of rims and it really comes out nice
Old 06-06-2003, 01:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by carnal_c30
get an H&R Wheel spacer kit with hubcentric spacers and extended studs

thats what I had to do for one of my sets of rims and it really comes out nice
Thanks Guys. After a couple of hours with the search function, it looks like the H&R spacers from Options is the way to go. Course that will take a week or so to get here. Question: If these new studs I bought don't fit (sure hope they do), would it be crazy to be driving around with the initial install (like I said, hanging on 3 or 4 threads with the OEM studs)?
Also, I ran into a couple of threads saying that the 300ZX and Quest studs would fit but longer. Any experiences with this? I'm on a time crunch. Plan on taking a 2 week vacation starting tomorrow, or whenever I get this fixed. Little hesitant to drive around as is, don't want my wheels flying off.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by JoeJoe

Thanks Guys. After a couple of hours with the search function, it looks like the H&R spacers from Options is the way to go. Course that will take a week or so to get here. Question: If these new studs I bought don't fit (sure hope they do), would it be crazy to be driving around with the initial install (like I said, hanging on 3 or 4 threads with the OEM studs)?
Also, I ran into a couple of threads saying that the 300ZX and Quest studs would fit but longer. Any experiences with this? I'm on a time crunch. Plan on taking a 2 week vacation starting tomorrow, or whenever I get this fixed. Little hesitant to drive around as is, don't want my wheels flying off.
4-5 full turns is the minimum, the H&R studs work fine, thats what I'm running now, everything they make is of the highest quality- you'll be happy with them!!

good luck!
Old 06-06-2003, 01:14 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by Nealoc187

BTW what are you doing for spacers? My suggestion is to get a shop to cut the "hats" off your old rotors to the desired thickness with a plasma cutter and viola... predrilled spacers!
Are you serious here? I don't mean to sound sarcastic at all, but this seems like a very rudimentry way to get spacers. Do you think it would be safe?