General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Radar/Laser Scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 09:44 PM

Radar/Laser Scrambler

does anybody have and previous experiance with a Radar/Laser Scrambler or know anything about them. do they really work or is it a bunch of b/s
Old 06-07-2003, 11:45 PM

Radar scramblers do NOT work. None ever tested have. Total ripoff.

Some Laser scramblers do work to some extent, but only the active models mounted on licence plate frame area..

There are numerous sites on the Net to explain how radar /laser scrambles do not work.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Bgohan
Radar scramblers do NOT work. None ever tested have. Total ripoff.

Some Laser scramblers do work to some extent, but only the active models mounted on licence plate frame area..

There are numerous sites on the Net to explain how radar /laser scrambles do not work.

thanks man
Old 06-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

They work!

At pi$$ing me off! I hate slowing down until I figure out where that damn signal is coming from. I HATE MORONS with these. It screws with everyone else who uses a detector.

Save the money on a jammer and buy a V1. I'm RARELY under the speed limit and the V1 has saved my **** more than enough times to pay for itself a couple times. IF you learn how to defensively speed with a V1, your odds of getting a ticket are DRASTICALLY reduced.

I had my Max about a month when I got my first speeding ticket. The next day or so, I ordered a V1. It's now been more than 2yrs. and I've never even been pulled over, however I drive the SAME road even faster. I've even had the SAME cop pull his radar on me, but the V1 warned me in the nick of time.

I'll take V1 odds all day long.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:03 PM

Re: They work!

Originally posted by IceY2K1
At pi$$ing me off! I hate slowing down until I figure out where that damn signal is coming from. I HATE MORONS with these. It screws with everyone else who uses a detector.

Good Point! I hate those frikken things too. No cop in sight, but my detector flips out and I slam the brakes, only to find out it is a Rocky Mountain P.O.S.! Maybe cops sell them to screw those with real detectors up??
Old 06-09-2003, 02:27 PM

Re: Re: They work!

Originally posted by Bgohan

Good Point! I hate those frikken things too. No cop in sight, but my detector flips out and I slam the brakes, only to find out it is a Rocky Mountain P.O.S.! Maybe cops sell them to screw those with real detectors up??
That's my bet...I swear there are certain sections of roads where there is NOTHING around, yet the detector flips out.

I think they use decoys.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:55 PM

Re: They work!

Save the money on a jammer and buy a V1. I'm RARELY under the speed limit and the V1 has saved my **** more than enough times to pay for itself a couple times. IF you learn how to defensively speed with a V1, your odds of getting a ticket are DRASTICALLY reduced.

I had my Max about a month when I got my first speeding ticket. The next day or so, I ordered a V1. It's now been more than 2yrs. and I've never even been pulled over, however I drive the SAME road even faster. I've even had the SAME cop pull his radar on me, but the V1 warned me in the nick of time.

I'll take V1 odds all day long.

the v1 is that the valintine detector
Old 06-10-2003, 08:42 AM

Re: Re: They work!

Originally posted by David89Max

the v1 is that the valintine detector
Yes, don't bother getting anything else.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: They work!

Yes, don't bother getting anything else.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: They work!

Originally posted by deezo
I'm SERIOUS!
Old 06-10-2003, 11:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They work!

I'm SERIOUS!
I've had my Whistler for about 7 years now and its been perfect. It was ahead of it's time back then and its still doing a great job. Personally, I don't know why people really think V1's are all that much better than everything else.

I was going to a meet and there was a caravan I was leading down to NJ. One of the members asked me if I had a radar and I said yes. I told him it was a Whistler and then he went on babbling about how he would keep his on because he would pick traps up before I do.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They work!

I've had my Whistler for about 7 years now and its been perfect. It was ahead of it's time back then and its still doing a great job. Personally, I don't know why people really think V1's are all that much better than everything else.

I was going to a meet and there was a caravan I was leading down to NJ. One of the members asked me if I had a radar and I said yes. I told him it was a Whistler and then he went on babbling about how he would keep his on because he would pick traps up before I do.
7yrs. old? Man that's a dinosaur. You don't realize how much better the technology is nowadays. The range on current radars is sick. I've used several different detectors and it'll take something HUGE to change for me to consider something else.

The main difference of WHY I would never ever even consider something else is the directional arrows along with the bogey count and band type. Once I learned how to listen to the detector, I actually accelerate into the bogey, brake as I roll by, and then "resume" my cruise control.

Honestly, I don't know how I ever lived without it before. Luckily, I didn't own a car powerful enough to get me into the kind of trouble I regularly tread in now.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:21 PM

I'll read up more on the V1 but my Whistler has all of the bands: K, Ka, X, Laser and Safety (if the first detector to have the Safety radar and the readout screen). I paid $200 for it back then and it's save me much more than I spent on it.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:43 PM

I'll read up more on the V1 but my Whistler has all of the bands: K, Ka, X, Laser and Safety (if the first detector to have the Safety radar and the readout screen). I paid $200 for it back then and it's save me much more than I spent on it.

Still time to upgrade. The sensitivity of the newer detectors is MILES ahead of something that old.

You'll pick bogeys up WAY way sooner. I'm amazed at how far off I'll pick up a signal. At first when I got the V1, I thought it was a false signal, but I quickly learned it's not.

Pretty much any K or Ka bleep and I'll back off REGARDLESS of whether I think it's a false signal or not. After about 5mins. I'll resume my speed.

BTW, this is all HWY travel, I don't use it in the city.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:11 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Still time to upgrade. The sensitivity of the newer detectors is MILES ahead of something that old.

You'll pick bogeys up WAY way sooner. I'm amazed at how far off I'll pick up a signal. At first when I got the V1, I thought it was a false signal, but I quickly learned it's not.

Pretty much any K or Ka bleep and I'll back off REGARDLESS of whether I think it's a false signal or not. After about 5mins. I'll resume my speed.

You happen to have a link or site so I can do some comparison shopping? Thanks in advance...
Old 06-10-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They work!

The main difference of WHY I would never ever even consider something else is the directional arrows along with the bogey count and band type.
You act like the V1 is unique by having these features. I would have bought a V1, but I opted to save the $125 to get my Passport 8500. I didn't need the arrows, I have the same bands, and multiple radar bars. The V1 may be slightly better at distance on KA, but my Passport is also smaller and sits more flush with my passenger visor.

As far as laser jammers, the front mounted plate versions are very good, and they fit perfectly in the space in our bumper (97-99).
-hype
Old 06-10-2003, 01:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They work!

Originally posted by xHypex

You act like the V1 is unique by having these features. I would have bought a V1, but I opted to save the $125 to get my Passport 8500. I didn't need the arrows, I have the same bands, and multiple radar bars. The V1 may be slightly better at distance on KA, but my Passport is also smaller and sits more flush with my passenger visor.

As far as laser jammers, the front mounted plate versions are very good, and they fit perfectly in the space in our bumper (97-99).
-hype
The arrows are one of the BEST features IMO. I haven't seen another radar with as easy to read visuals or simple to learn warning tones. I'd EASILY spend more than $125 over the 8500 for the V1. No question.

Why would I care if it's smaller?
Old 06-10-2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

You happen to have a link or site so I can do some comparison shopping? Thanks in advance...
http://www.valentine1.com/

This one is good :
http://www.valentine1.com/lab/detectortests.asp
Old 06-10-2003, 01:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They work!

The arrows are one of the BEST features IMO. I haven't seen another radar with as easy to read visuals or simple to learn warning tones. I'd EASILY spend more than $125 over the 8500 for the V1. No question.

Why would I care if it's smaller?
I'm not trying to debate which is better, I just stated that I didn't have the extra money at the time nor did I feel it was totally justified. My next detector will probably be a V1 unless something better comes out before then.

BTW part of my criteria was a relatively small radar detector that fit on my visor. The V1 doesn't fit that description very well, and I don't need the arrows. Anyone who knows how to use a detector can go by the sound alone or with a remote cord. Finally, on your comparison I'm not surprised the V1 has 19 more points for sensativity. It falses considerably more especially with X band.
On my own detector I turn X off and leave it in Highway mode all the time.
-hype
Old 06-10-2003, 01:37 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

http://www.valentine1.com/

This one is good :
http://www.valentine1.com/lab/detectortests.asp
Thanks man!
Old 06-10-2003, 01:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They work!

Originally posted by xHypex

I'm not trying to debate which is better, I just stated that I didn't have the extra money at the time nor did I feel it was totally justified. My next detector will probably be a V1 unless something better comes out before then.

BTW part of my criteria was a relatively small radar detector that fit on my visor. The V1 doesn't fit that description very well, and I don't need the arrows. Anyone who knows how to use a detector can go by the sound alone or with a remote cord. Finally, on your comparison I'm not surprised the V1 has 19 more points for sensativity. It falses considerably more especially with X band.
On my own detector I turn X off and leave it in Highway mode all the time.
-hype
I hear ya. I just never considered putting it on the visor, so it didn't really matter how big/small it was to me. The V1 is DEFINITELY not small.

Until you learn to use the arrows, you won't know what you're missing. I use the arrows more than anything, because it tells you SOOOO MUCH information. You'll get MULTIPLE bogey signals from different directions and it will show you ALL of them, but then picks the strongest "threat" signal and flashes that one. It's hard to explain, but when you learn it, it's bad ****. More or less the arrows allow "eagle eyes" like me to spot the cruiser and judge whether or not to slow down faster. Most people just blindly drive along and then SLAM on the breaks when their detector goes off. I have to admit I do this too when I get "lit-up", but soooOOOO many people do that from some weak **** signal miles away still. I hate that.

Anyways, I pretty much ignore the X-band, because it's almost always a false signal(real signal, but not a cop). If I'm in a high X-band area, the V1 has 3-different discrimination modes to fix that. I always leave it in the FULL sensitivity mode and just press the mute button. Then if a new "threat" appears, the mute is turned off and I hear the warning.

When you get the money, buy a V1 and I SWEAR you'll love it as much as I do. Everyone I've let use it or told to get one has loved theirs.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:50 PM

Thanks man!
Old 06-10-2003, 01:55 PM

Thanks man!
Old 06-10-2003, 06:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They work!

I hear ya. I just never considered putting it on the visor, so it didn't really matter how big/small it was to me. The V1 is DEFINITELY not small.

Until you learn to use the arrows, you won't know what you're missing. I use the arrows more than anything, because it tells you SOOOO MUCH information. You'll get MULTIPLE bogey signals from different directions and it will show you ALL of them, but then picks the strongest "threat" signal and flashes that one. It's hard to explain, but when you learn it, it's bad ****. More or less the arrows allow "eagle eyes" like me to spot the cruiser and judge whether or not to slow down faster. Most people just blindly drive along and then SLAM on the breaks when their detector goes off. I have to admit I do this too when I get "lit-up", but soooOOOO many people do that from some weak **** signal miles away still. I hate that.

Anyways, I pretty much ignore the X-band, because it's almost always a false signal(real signal, but not a cop). If I'm in a high X-band area, the V1 has 3-different discrimination modes to fix that. I always leave it in the FULL sensitivity mode and just press the mute button. Then if a new "threat" appears, the mute is turned off and I hear the warning.

When you get the money, buy a V1 and I SWEAR you'll love it as much as I do. Everyone I've let use it or told to get one has loved theirs.
Man V1 should hire you as their spokes model. You actually convinced me that this it the only way too go, but 400 bucks is alot. But, one more ticket and im toast, no more driving for me. So I just might consider this.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:20 PM

now i know the v1 is the way to go but why dont you use yours in the city ????????
Old 06-11-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by David89Max

now i know the v1 is the way to go but why dont you use yours in the city ????????

Too afraid someone will STEAL it and I'll have to pay another $400. J/K...IF it ever got stolen, I'd order another one the next day, because HONESTLY I feel naked without it.

I used to use the V1 in town and it works great, ESPECIALLY the bogey counter, since cops around here know where all the false alarms are and they hide behind the gas station or next to the bank. Once you memorize the normal bogey count for each corner, you'll catch yourself wondering why there are 5 vs. 4 today and sure enough there's a cop hiding on the otherside of a propane fill up tank. Actually, I just never really needed it in town. I don't speed much over in town and I moved ~1.3-miles from work, so I just try and keep my foot out of the gas.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:20 AM

does any one know if the reflective (or platinum) tint effects the detector's performance?
Old 06-11-2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by slavik'sMAX
does any one know if the reflective (or platinum) tint effects the detector's performance?
I have the darkest metalic tint I could buy and the V1 seems to work fine. You may get increased sensitivity for the rear, but I don't seem to need more.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:05 PM

I also have a V1, and it also has saved me countless amounts of times on the highway. It works great, and the range is really long, even for rear radar it works good. I owned a Cobra unit before I had the V1 and I can honestly say the difference is huge. The arrows may not seem important- but once you compare the V1 to non-directional units, you would realize how useful they are.

PS: I think the V1 compliments my black dash perfectly.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Sports Button FTW

heard V1's were good but Escort Passport 8500 is probably best for the buck, saved me too many times and i think its fairly cheaper than V1