General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

insurance question

I was in an accident 2 weeks ago. I was going straight on a main road, when out of nowhere a Jeep came out of a private driveway making a left and took out from the front quarter panel behind the front wheelwell to the back quarter panel, including part of the wheel. The car is still driveable. The police report shows that he clearly hit me as I was traveling south. I took it to several body shops so far, the last one I took it to said that I might be liable for a small amount of the accident because I was hit in the side of the car towards the front. Is this so? Im in Jersey, so I already know the stupid laws are fuked up, but how can this be? Or, is this guy not for real, should I get my work done by him?
Also, he was saying that I shouldnt get 'new' OEM doors because they dont come 'sound proofed' or with any handles/rivits in them already. He recommended that I get used doors, since it was already 'soundproofed'. Is this guy a fraud trying to get me to use used parts so he keeps the difference in the insurance money?

thanks for any comments
Old 06-11-2003, 10:40 PM

hrmm - sound dampening.. its possible, but i dont know - they still sell new doors??? i'd figure by now its all used/rebuilt parts
Old 06-11-2003, 10:50 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

if you have a police report that says that the other driver was the cause of the accident, you are 100% ok. Did you get the insurance information from the other guy? Just call their agent and tell them everything. Go to a bodyshop, get your estimate, fax it to the other guy's insurance agent, and see if they will have to send an inspector out to your car to see how bad the damage really is. After that, car gets fixed, you are on your way.

As for the door.. there are 2 things that bodyshop will do. If the side-impact bar is ok, they will just replace the outter skin of the door. If the side-impact bar has been breached, then they will replace the door shell. All the inside parts would be transferred to the plain shell of the door. There aren't any insulation or any of that... at least none that I am aware of.

FIND ANOTHER BODYSHOP... get brand new OEM parts. what did they estimate?
Old 06-12-2003, 05:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your in Jersey?
Come see us!!

Proline Body and Chassis
545 River Drive
Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
201-398-1512
Old 06-12-2003, 06:32 AM
It's chrome alright...

something is fishy... follow nadir's advice... and it wouldn't hurt to swing by njmaxseltd and see what he's all about
Old 06-12-2003, 09:12 AM

nadir_s - I've already been in contact with the other guys insurance, and have a claim number. She said that they will send an adjuster out. I have a few estimates, but no-one I really know their work. I went to this guy who seemed the way to go, cuz a guy I work with suggested it. All except for when he was saying I could be at possible fault cuz he hit me in the side towards the front. So the insurance broker (his) said to fax over the estimate I wanted to go with to send the adjuster to that shop. The bar brace is damaged, they said that they will replace the skin, but will used a used one. I want a new one, OEM of course. I dont know if he is just lazy to transfer all of the stuff from my door to the new door, or he is right to get a used skin already done. The estimates so far are ranging from 3k to 4k...thanks for your help...o and njmaxseltd, I'll be calling you today!
Old 06-12-2003, 09:19 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by tzmanles
nadir_s - I've already been in contact with the other guys insurance, and have a claim number. She said that they will send an adjuster out. I have a few estimates, but no-one I really know their work. I went to this guy who seemed the way to go, cuz a guy I work with suggested it. All except for when he was saying I could be at possible fault cuz he hit me in the side towards the front. So the insurance broker (his) said to fax over the estimate I wanted to go with to send the adjuster to that shop. The bar brace is damaged, they said that they will replace the skin, but will used a used one. I want a new one, OEM of course. I dont know if he is just lazy to transfer all of the stuff from my door to the new door, or he is right to get a used skin already done. The estimates so far are ranging from 3k to 4k...thanks for your help...o and njmaxseltd, I'll be calling you today!
Hmm.. i don't know, that sounds sorta shadey that they're going to be using a used one. I totally would not suggest it... what about painting? Either way, i would definately recommend going to see njmaxseltd's bodyshop. He definately knows what he's talkin about... very experienced... and plus, hookup! Get the BEST WORK done for your car, and settle for nothing less.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: insurance question

Originally posted by tzmanles
Also, he was saying that I shouldnt get 'new' OEM doors because they dont come 'sound proofed' or with any handles/rivits in them already. He recommended that I get used doors, since it was already 'soundproofed'. Is this guy a fraud trying to get me to use used parts so he keeps the difference in the insurance money?

thanks for any comments
Umm, go look elsewhere for work to be done. Unless you have some attachment to this guy. Sounds like he is a bit shady. Go check out nj and see what his "thoughts" are.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:35 AM

thanks guys, I will be at Tom's place in the morning...you orger's are alright lol
Old 06-12-2003, 11:47 AM

get tom to get it looking all good