General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

An update on how my car is running (01 5spd Turbo Max)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

An update on how my car is running (01 5spd Turbo Max)

Just a little friendly update on how my car is running since I got to read some of that nasty long thread that dixit started (18 pages in 2 days, and thats not even including the posts that were cut out by the mod's!!! )... Anyways to get to the point. I would like to let all of you know how my car is doing, I've had it back for about 4 months now. I'm still working on some of the problems that I've had since day one but are not fixed because its my own damn fault. And these would be:

1. Small oil leak from bad gasket going from bottom of turbo to oil return line.

2. Small exhaust/boost leak which has escalated into a bad exhaust/boost leak, which I will be getting fixed this weekend.

3. Small exhaust leak from bad weld on back muffler.

That is all.... Those are the only current pending problems with my car, so those of you that are scared that the turbo kits are crappy, I can assure you, I've had relatively minor problems with my kit... As a matter of fact the only major problem I've had is my oil feed line to my turbo was sitting on the driveshaft from day one and finally rubbed through, which was a mistake on the part of the installer (Anthony, whom Hal hired to do the work). Other than that, the car has run fine, and trust me, I've worked it in. Some of you may laugh at this but, I use my car to deliver pizza in as my 2nd job, so I do residential driving in it (which is worse than city driving), where I stop every 100 yards or so on average driving through subdivisions. And guess what... I live in Louisiana where its 80-95 degree's down here right now during the day, and I haven't seen my temperature gauge move past the middle yet, EVER since I've owned the car. NO OVERHEATING ISSUES AT ALL, NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. If any of you have any questions or anything else regarding these statements please feel free to ask or comment. And on a side note, Hal has not refused service to me yet to date and has returned all of my phone calls and has been and still is very willing to help with my problems.

Bryan
Old 06-12-2003, 11:37 PM

I rode in Bryan's car at our giantic 3 Maximas meet. Even though at the time, it had some problems and he didn't push it real hard, I could feel right away it was stronger than my SC auto when I had it. Plus, the BOV sounded very sweet. However, Bryan, your car is loud as heck. I don't know if I could stand that on a daily basis.

Btw, did you ever get new tires for your stock 15s?
Old 06-13-2003, 03:17 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

well your lucky on the overheating issue... I honestly do not know how your not overheating..

But yeah you got the same great install I did.

And hal has stopped responding to me, but oh well.

Well I am glad your working it out.

How is your reverse y-pipe done?
Old 06-13-2003, 03:59 AM
Former Sponsor

sweet good to know its running well!!

overheating... if anyone would overheat it'd be you!! you're crazy for delivering Pizzas! haha

we ran Hals car in a closed area on a 90 degree plus day for abut an hour just letting it sit there, and we never had the temp needle move

OEM radiators kick ***.... replacements blow *****- my sisters car had that deal, replaced the original radiator and it never stayed cool again
Old 06-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Ramius83

Originally posted by carnal_c30

OEM radiators kick ***.... replacements blow *****- my sisters car had that deal, replaced the original radiator and it never stayed cool again
You mean the radiator fans right?????

Old 06-13-2003, 06:54 AM

Anyone have times yet for their turbos? 1/4?
Old 06-13-2003, 06:55 AM

Id say what I want to say but I wont otherwise certain people might start there bishing.

All Im going to say that each kit is different in design and build quality. That means just cause it dont overheat in one, dont mean it wont overheat in another. My reverse Y that makes a turn and heads for the turbo, that pipe is only 1/2" away from the radiator itself. So im sure that is contributing to the overheating issue.

But glad your car is working. But im with Kirk on this one, Hal aint returned my calls or emails anymore either, and honestly dont care anymore, he can do what he wants.

Dixit
Old 06-13-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Ramius83

You mean the radiator fans right?????

No, he meant radiator. Bags has an aftermarket radiator probably because of a front end collision where the stock one was damaged.

Bryan
Old 06-13-2003, 08:43 AM

Cumalot: The car is loud as heck for 2 reasons, 1) it has 2 exhaust leaks, and 2) the ricey *** muffler it has which I dislike. And yes I got new tires.

Bags: It could be that my exhaust piping from my Y to the turbo goes nowhere near the radiator, I think what Hal did with my design worked much better, even though he had to do that weird U bend going from the turbo to the IC. The U bend had to be done because the exhaust piping is rather short and goes directly from the Y right up next to the engine to the turbo. And yes I got the same install you did from Anthony, whom likes to do his install in a 24 hour period and does a half-assed job on the welds, which is why Hal doesn't use him anymore. If you want my opinion I think Anthony did a good job on my car other than the welds (2 of which are failing right now). The overall design is good and has been reliable, cept for the bad gasket from the turbo to oil return line, and the nobrainer stupidity incident with running the oil feed line over the driveshaft. And as far as my reverse Y-Pipe, I don't know what a reverse Y-Pipe is, so explain that one to me and I'll let ya know.

ILoveMyMax: I haven't run my car at the track yet, but last time I checked Hal was running mid 12's with his car, and I'm sure he's faster than that now.

Dixit: Your design is probably different mostly because of the automatic transmission. And that sucks that you and Hal are having such a hard time, I wish you the best of luck with it.

Bryan
Old 06-13-2003, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Old 06-13-2003, 01:00 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by h2kFrosty
Bags: It could be that my exhaust piping from my Y to the turbo goes nowhere near the radiator, I think what Hal did with my design worked much better, even though he had to do that weird U bend going from the turbo to the IC. The U bend had to be done because the exhaust piping is rather short and goes directly from the Y right up next to the engine to the turbo. And yes I got the same install you did from Anthony, whom likes to do his install in a 24 hour period and does a half-assed job on the welds, which is why Hal doesn't use him anymore. If you want my opinion I think Anthony did a good job on my car other than the welds (2 of which are failing right now). The overall design is good and has been reliable, cept for the bad gasket from the turbo to oil return line, and the nobrainer stupidity incident with running the oil feed line over the driveshaft. And as far as my reverse Y-Pipe, I don't know what a reverse Y-Pipe is, so explain that one to me and I'll let ya know.

I call the pipe that feeds the turbo exhaust gas a reverse y-pipe.

I do not know what else to call it. If there is a technical name please share..lol

On anthony and hal... I won't talk about.. I will get mad and you have done nothing for me to get mad about. So I'll stop there

On my radiator, no front end accident, just bought a replacement... Not oem from what I found out, however, running the reverse y-pie 1 inch from it and not applying header wrap or anything IS why my car overheats.

The reason I ask about the y-pipe is I wonder how your pipes from the exhaust manifold look?

My front one came straight down into the y-pipe.. not good btw.

I had it redone and I now boost a little earlier. I am having a new y-pipe made and ceramic coated. Just takes time and $$$

Also is your FMIC attached to anything? Or are the pipes coming in from the side supporting it?

I am glad your working your problems out. I HATE the muffler as well. drone and loud.. but IMHO if your making lots of power.. and to me anything over 100 HP from stock is alot of power... a loud muffler is ok

Old 06-13-2003, 06:03 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

BTW here is a pic of my y-pipe, radiator, and Intercooler pipe..

what do you think about how close it is to the radiator

Old 06-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Ramius83

Hey Bags, I have an OEM radiator sitting in the trunk of my car. Want to take it for a spin?

Old 06-13-2003, 10:04 PM

good to know that everything is working fairly smoothly - got any pics of your setup?? some time slips would be very nice
Old 06-16-2003, 12:05 AM

Bags: I don't think there is a technical name for a reverse Y-Pipe I just didn't know what you were refering to. I will take pics of my IC and reverse Y tomorrow and upload them to here for you to see. Also my Max is going to get the boost/exhaust leak fixed tomorrow, I can't wait... I'll let you know how 7-9psi feels incase you don't know. Also I think your exhaust pipe being that close to the radiator is

95emeraldgxe: I'll let you know when I go to the track, and as far as uploaded pictures of my car, there are two on hal's website, I'll get some more hosted soon. But the two pics on hal's site are...

Frosty's Turbo Pic #1
Frosty's Turbo Pic #2
Old 06-16-2003, 12:38 AM

Yeah sleeper is the word for you my friend. You got lucky in not having many problems.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by bags533
BTW here is a pic of my y-pipe, radiator, and Intercooler pipe..

what do you think about how close it is to the radiator

header wrap, OEM radiator (or Koyo ) and good luck
Old 06-16-2003, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by bags533
But yeah you got the same great install I did.

And hal has stopped responding to me, but oh well.
Maybe his car is overheating too
Old 06-17-2003, 06:26 AM

yeah lots of header wrap and get the one with the aluminum heat shielding on the outside, and put some heat expelling tap on the bottom radiator tank. with the wrap on it doesn't get too hot.