General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is the B&M STS really a Short Throw Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is the B&M STS really a Short Throw Shifter?

If you make the portion of the shift rod above the pivot point shorter (like a cut stock shifter) you reduce the distance you move the shifter but this tecnically does not make it a short throw shifter.

To shorten the shifter throw you must legthen the portion of the shift rod below the pivot point. If you lengthen the portion of the shift rod below the pivot point it will hit the cat heat shield unless it is modified or removed. I see no way around this.

Several people who have installed the B&M shifter claim that it is not necessary to modify the Cat heat shield. Is the B&M just a lower shifter and NOT a Short Throw Shifter? Or has B&M found some way around this?
Old 06-16-2003, 08:25 AM

The shifts are much shorter. I would say less than half of the stock throw
Old 06-16-2003, 08:43 AM

Since it's adjustable you can move the pivot point lower without hitting the heatshield assuming you don't move the point too much. I don't remember how much clearance there is, but there is some room to play with. Your next option if you want to lower even further is to bang out the heatshield or remove it completely. I removed my heatshield because I wanted the shifter pretty low.
-hype
Old 06-16-2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
Since it's adjustable you can move the pivot point lower without hitting the heatshield assuming you don't move the point too much. I don't remember how much clearance there is, but there is some room to play with. Your next option if you want to lower even further is to bang out the heatshield or remove it completely. I removed my heatshield because I wanted the shifter pretty low.
-hype
You might be thinking of the Pacesetter. The B&M is not adjustable. It did not seem like there was a lot of room to play with between the shifter and heat shield when I installed my STS. I had my pacesetter adjusted pretty conseviativly and I still had to bang out the heatshield.

Does anyone have an uninstalled B&M shifter they can compare to the stock shifter?

If you shorten the part of the shifter above the pivot point it will reduce the distance you have to move the shifter but it will not increase the amount of movement on the transmission linkage. If you check my very high quality drawing below, the shifter on the left is simply shorter (above the pivot point), the distance you move the shifter is less if you compare line A to line B, but it is not really a short throw shifter. You can get this effect by cutting the stock shifter and/or using a shift **** that sits lower.

The shifter on the right shows if you lengthen the portion below the pivot point, the linkage will move more (line B) therefore shortening the throw.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:57 AM

Well i have it and it is so much different from stock. I dont know exactly how they engineer the shifter but i would imagine it would have to do with the amount of the shifter above the pivot point compared to the amount below. This would change the leverage and a smaller movement above would result in a larger change below therefore poping it in gear without a long throw.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SOmeone posted pics of the stock shifter with the B&M side-by-side and it looked like the B&M was longer (below the pivot) by about 1 cm. While not seemingly a huge amt, it definitely makes a big difference. I think realistically, a 30% throw reduction is the maximum before notchiness becomes a huge problem.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:57 PM

I have the B&M and I must say the throws are definitely a lot shorter. Takes hardly any effort to throw it into the next gear. It's so short that when I'm in 4thgear it looks like I was in "N"
Old 06-16-2003, 09:36 PM

i have the B&M too...the throws are defly short
Old 06-17-2003, 04:58 AM

I have an e-bay shifter and it replaced the stock directly. The B&M looks like it has a piece that actually moves the pivot point higher(the little purple cup). That would allow a longer portion under the pivot without interfering with the heat. At least that's my thoery.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:16 AM

all this talk about the B&M shifter, I really want one. Where did everyone get there's from?
Old 06-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mitch33x
all this talk about the B&M shifter, I really want one. Where did everyone get there's from?
I got mine from Tokio, great prices and fast shipping. Definitley recommend him and the B&M STS. This guy called me in Florida from San Fransisco to give me my tracking number, so I could get it sooner. I was amazed.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by 00MAXIST

I got mine from Tokio, great prices and fast shipping. Definitley recommend him and the B&M STS. This guy called me in Florida from San Fransisco to give me my tracking number, so I could get it sooner. I was amazed.
i got mine from tokio too
the STS came pretty much on time
Old 06-19-2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Maxx Knight
I have an e-bay shifter and it replaced the stock directly. The B&M looks like it has a piece that actually moves the pivot point higher(the little purple cup). That would allow a longer portion under the pivot without interfering with the heat. At least that's my thoery.
Moving where the pivot point mounts higher in the car is the only way I see to make the part below the pivot point longer and not hit the heat shield. Looking at where the shifter mounts in the car I don't see how this is possible though, if this is what B&M did it is an excellent design.