General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Broken front Stillen Body piece

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 07:13 AM

Can anyone tell me how I go about getting a new front valence? Mine WAS cracked and now about a 1.5 ft. section broke off this morning...YEA!

Am I going to need my receipt?

Thanx-n-advance

Old 01-31-2001, 07:28 AM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

receipt definitely

if you want to see if stillens warranty will cover you, was the kit bought new? if it was, how long ago? it may still be under warranty from stillen. fill us in... i'm sure someone can fill you in from the board better than i can at least, i've never dealt with a broken bodykit part (so far...)
Old 01-31-2001, 07:59 AM

Re: receipt definitely

Originally posted by SINYMaxSE
if you want to see if stillens warranty will cover you, was the kit bought new? if it was, how long ago? it may still be under warranty from stillen. fill us in... i'm sure someone can fill you in from the board better than i can at least, i've never dealt with a broken bodykit part (so far...)

I bought the from piece new from a group deal about a year ago. I can't remember who set it up, but I thought these things had a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-31-2001, 09:12 AM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

as long as you have proof of purchase...

i think you will be covered, just contact stillen. what i meant was that these warranties are funny because they say lifetime but they will get you on the part of, "as long as used normally and that damage was not due to normal wear and tear." contact them and see what they say.

Come on guys help him out, i'm sure some of you have dealt with this!
Old 01-31-2001, 09:40 AM

Re: as long as you have proof of purchase...

Originally posted by SINYMaxSE
i think you will be covered, just contact stillen. what i meant was that these warranties are funny because they say lifetime but they will get you on the part of, "as long as used normally and that damage was not due to normal wear and tear." contact them and see what they say.

Come on guys help him out, i'm sure some of you have dealt with this!

Yeah, being in MN...it's colder than #$&%...I barely scraped it on the lip of my friends driveway and it got a 3 inch crack in it. That was a week ago. Today, on the way to work I heard a scraping noise which I figured was snow or ice in the wheel well. After a couple of miles it didn't go away (and I smelled burning plastic) so I pulled over and lo and behold I was dragging almost half of it under the car. Looks like total **** now.

I don't mind paying for repainting and installation...(about $80 from local Nissan), but I don't want to have to pay for the new piece.

I'm just wondering if there's a certain phone number I need to call or person I need to talk to?

Thanx for the help.

Old 01-31-2001, 10:26 AM

I think someone said that you have to call the place you ordered from. If you didn't buy directly from Stillen, they won't do it, they tell you to go through the shop you purchased it from. If you were in the group deal, then it might have been through Autogear, that's the group deal I got mine on. I cracked mine a couple of weeks ago (got too low with the ground controls) and I'm calling Autogear right now. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 01-31-2001, 10:33 AM

Bad news

Just talked to Autogear, and from what I was told, if there are any scrape marks on the spoiler, Stillen won't warranty it. They'll only warranty it if the cracking was due to extreme cold or heat, and that's hard to prove. He basically told me that I would ship it to him, he'd send it to Stillen and then they would make a warranty determination. The guy at Autogear also said that Stillen warranties very few of them, most are denied. That if there are any scrapes on the spoiler from ground contact, the warranty is no longer good. I thought people were saying that they would warranty it even for curb damage and such. Oh well, time for a new kit I guess.
Old 01-31-2001, 10:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Bad news

To get the Stillen warranty you will need your receipt from either Stillen or the company you bought it from. If through a dealer, you will need to work the warranty through the dealer. It is the dealers responsibility to handle the claim for you.

Regards

Originally posted by Shadow
Just talked to Autogear, and from what I was told, if there are any scrape marks on the spoiler, Stillen won't warranty it. They'll only warranty it if the cracking was due to extreme cold or heat, and that's hard to prove. He basically told me that I would ship it to him, he'd send it to Stillen and then they would make a warranty determination. The guy at Autogear also said that Stillen warranties very few of them, most are denied. That if there are any scrapes on the spoiler from ground contact, the warranty is no longer good. I thought people were saying that they would warranty it even for curb damage and such. Oh well, time for a new kit I guess.
Old 01-31-2001, 10:44 AM

I got my Stillen front lip through autogear. I cracked my front lip because I didn't know how to drive when I first got it. I tried to get it replaced but it was such a pain in the ***. So I just brought the whole body kit. Stillen won't replace it unless it was there fault. If you hit a driveway then its your fault. You have to send them pictures and show them a reciept and a whole bunch of crap.
Old 01-31-2001, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by krazydutch44
I got my Stillen front lip through autogear. I cracked my front lip because I didn't know how to drive when I first got it. I tried to get it replaced but it was such a pain in the ***. So I just brought the whole body kit. Stillen won't replace it unless it was there fault. If you hit a driveway then its your fault. You have to send them pictures and show them a reciept and a whole bunch of crap.
Damn...oh well, thanx for the info. guys... Guess it's time to spend more money at $tillen...

Old 01-31-2001, 11:55 AM
BlkCat

Now that I'm about to join the ranks of fellow Max owners with the Stillen body kit its bothering me that I'll end up cracking the front lip eventually.

Has anyone thought of setting up some sort of device similar to those wire curb feelers on the lip so that you'll hear it touch something first before the lip does? I'd like to hear everyones thoughts!

Old 01-31-2001, 03:45 PM

I've had a lot of experience with thsi

Stillen has become pretty strict about warrantying their front lips. They used to replace it if you cracked it by hitting a driveway or curb, but now they'll only replace it through "normal use" which means they can deny your claim whenever they want.

If you tore aff a big chunk, you gotta buy a new one, which would seem reasonable anyway.
Old 02-01-2001, 12:32 AM

Funny,

Originally posted by Vandanno
Now that I'm about to join the ranks of fellow Max owners with the Stillen body kit its bothering me that I'll end up cracking the front lip eventually.

Has anyone thought of setting up some sort of device similar to those wire curb feelers on the lip so that you'll hear it touch something first before the lip does? I'd like to hear everyones thoughts!
i was thinking about this too as my girlfriend almost took my front lip off parking( mind you i just put on my kit about two weeks ago). they have those things that attach to your license plate that emit a beam of some sort that goes off if you are too close to a wall, maybe a miniature one, i don't know...looks like the oogly curb feelers are your best bet for a warning system. just be careful.
Old 02-14-2001, 08:58 AM

Re: Bad news

Originally posted by Shadow
Well that sucks. Makes me wonder if it's even worth getting in the first place anymore.
Old 02-14-2001, 10:52 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Why should any company be responsible for damages inflicted by the buyer?

Dave