General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need immediate advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 10:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Took my 95 into the dealer for repairs and 75k tuneup.

Just got a call:
I had some noises coming from the rear brakes. Turns out I had a bunch of stuff wrong.

I need:

new starter $475
rear 02 sensor $280
rear CV $250
rear rotors $200
rear brake cable $160
rear calipers
rear brakes $475

It pretty much comes out to another $2000 on top of the $2000 body repairs. So is there anything on there that I could not tell them to do and just take it to another shop?

What could I put off in order to save some money?
Old 02-01-2001, 11:09 AM

Looks like they saw you coming.

Lets do this step by step....

1. A tuneup can only consist of sparkplugs, fuel filter, airfilter and PCV. These parts should cost about $30-40 total, do your own labor.

2. New starter? why? car not starting? You can buy the starter yourself for about $120, install should take about an hour.

3. rear O2? Why? Miles? Buy it for $102, and install yourself in about 30 minutes.

4. Rear CV....sad to say, but there aren't any CV's in the rear.

5. rotors? replace or refinish? I would buy NEW ones for less than that, and also install myself. Takes about as long as it does to change a tire.

6. Rear Brake cable? does your Ebrake not work? what cable?

7. Rear calipers? rear Brakes? You've listed this 3 times. I'm not sure what you mean; rotors, calipers, but why did you say brakes? you mean pads? you can rebuild capliers (new seals) for about $20 per side if you do it yourself.

I'd get a second opinion.

You could do ALL of this for about $500-600, if you did the labor yourself, and bought your parts thru Courtesy Nissan.
Old 02-01-2001, 11:14 AM

Run, don't walk away from the dealer

Hey I have no idea whether you need those repairs or not but the only thing I can offer is I priced an O2 sensor recently cause I was thinking about replacing them and here's what I found: O2 Sensors, Need VIN to verify numbers
Prices range from $65 - $110; this is from jason@nissanofkeene.com; I would take it somewhere else and get a definite second opinion; in my experience dealers are know for suggesting work which is not required, if your service engine light is not on you probably do not need the sensor/s and as far as the other stuff goes, if you can't figure it out yourself, go somewhere else fast.

Old 02-01-2001, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Took my 95 into the dealer for repairs and 75k tuneup.

Just got a call:
I had some noises coming from the rear brakes. Turns out I had a bunch of stuff wrong.

I need:

new starter $475
rear 02 sensor $280
rear CV $250
rear rotors $200
rear brake cable $160
rear calipers
rear brakes $475

It pretty much comes out to another $2000 on top of the $2000 body repairs. So is there anything on there that I could not tell them to do and just take it to another shop?

What could I put off in order to save some money?
The dealer smells blood and he's circling you. CV joints are only in the front... he's trying to take you for a sucker. Find another dealer ASAP.
Old 02-01-2001, 12:14 PM

Holy cow they want to charge you up the booty. The only potential problem I see is that the dealer must have run a diagnotic to find the bad O2 sensor in the rear. They usually charge a minimum time at a mechanical rate for this service. Reputable dealers will waive the diagnositc charge if you have the work performed at their place. Otherwise they will charge you for it (usually around $100+). Outside of that, the brake work is really fairly simple unless you seriously neglected them. As far as the starter-why did they check it. If the car starts then it'sobvious they are just looking for things to fix. Every used car "needs" new or rebuilt parts. "Needs" is subjective in that you could always replace it with a better/newer part. BUT if the part continues to function properly and is not a safety item-leave it be. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2001, 07:16 PM

Well...

after talking it over with my dad, he decided to forgo the body repair (I mean, I've been driving the car like that for about four months now, no problems) and let the dealer rape us silly.

He did, however, decide not to get the starter put in by the dealer (after much convincing on my part). We're gonna either find someone else to do it or I'm gonna buy it myself and try to put it in.

Hopefully, the next time something major in my car breaks, I'll be working and have enough money to pay for my own repairs.

But for now... my dad wants the dealer to fix up the car... and he's paying, so it's pretty much his decision.