General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Insurance for Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 08:14 PM

Insurance for Modifications

I was looking at the Maxima of the Month and it just made me wonder if it is possible to insure the modifications that are added to your car. I had a friend who just after putting like 3k of work into his millenia (tv's in the headrest and system and what not)he totalled his car and basically lost a lot of money because a majority of the money went into labor. So, when I look at these cars that have like 10k put into them and want to do the same myself for my cars I feel a little apprehensive when i think about the amount of money I'd lose. Does anyone know if insurance company's cover this type of stuff? Has anyone thought about serious modifications and decided not to because of the possible lost of investment due to theft or accident? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:40 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

I read a big article on just that subject not too long ago. Basically, it said that you will likely have to negotiate with your carrier on any of your modifications being added to your insurance. There are a couple of carriers (State Farm comes to mind) that have separate policies for insuring any aftermarket items and modifications. I think you just need to make sure you can have documentation to support the cost incurred by some of these mods. And I'm sure that'll jack up your premium, but in your friend's case, it would have been worth it.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Conecarver

Great post. I've been calling around looking for the same and haven't gotten any real results. Most ins co's ask if the mods could have been bought through the dealer and then they can cover. Something also about a 10%-20% limit to upgrades over the purchase price of the car.

Gee $23K buy + $12K upgrades...not quite what they wanted
Old 07-10-2003, 07:06 AM

Be sure to tell them about your turbo, supercharger, exhaust, JWT ECU, MEVI, and other mods as well. Also, tell them that you take your car to the local dragstrip.

P.S. Lets not forget about the NOS

Just playing devil's advocate.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:19 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

IIRC most basic mods are covered...suspension, exhaust, bodykit, wheels, etc.

In my last accident there was a chance that the suspension (front drivers strut specifically) got bent. The insurance company was prepared to buy me a new Koni and sprint spring.

I also had aftermarket wheels, two of which were trashed. They replaced them without hesitation.

ICE stuff may be different though.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Insurance for Modifications

Originally posted by nissanman7
I was looking at the Maxima of the Month and it just made me wonder if it is possible to insure the modifications that are added to your car. I had a friend who just after putting like 3k of work into his millenia (tv's in the headrest and system and what not)he totalled his car and basically lost a lot of money because a majority of the money went into labor. So, when I look at these cars that have like 10k put into them and want to do the same myself for my cars I feel a little apprehensive when i think about the amount of money I'd lose. Does anyone know if insurance company's cover this type of stuff? Has anyone thought about serious modifications and decided not to because of the possible lost of investment due to theft or accident? Thanks.

I remember one of the reps from Liberty Mutual (my insurance co), trying to sell me on some bulk insurance policy that covered all your mods! I know that alot of insurance companies will insure aftermarket stuff but they raise the price for each individual mod..... system, side skirts, rims, sc or turbo and etc. This is supposed to cover all of your mods for one flat rate on top of your regular rate....Didnt check the price though...I've always considered calling back about it though.

Deac
Old 07-10-2003, 08:22 AM
rilla dope

With State Farm its all covered if it's installed on/in the car, only loose pieces aren't covered. I told them I may have up to 6 grand or so in parts and they said that's fine as long as I have the proof, receipts, credit card statements, pictures, etc.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:53 AM
Conecarver

Originally posted by releasedtruth
With State Farm its all covered if it's installed on/in the car, only loose pieces aren't covered. I told them I may have up to 6 grand or so in parts and they said that's fine as long as I have the proof, receipts, credit card statements, pictures, etc.
Interesting. That's not the case with other carriers.
IIRC State Farm isn't taking on any new business right now either
Old 07-11-2003, 09:08 AM

My insurance (esurance.com) offers the additional coverage for the mods/upgrades......but to me it seems to much of the surcharge..........another thing u have to take in consideration is the price of the Nissan OE parts......after being quoted $340 to replace 2 rear speakers, $600 to change a couple of tie rods and $400 to replace the original muffler by the dealership, I feel pretty confident that in the event of the accident the quote from the dealer should be sufficient to cover most of my mods