General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Neon light install ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 02:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know Skymax has posted his instructions ... but I'd like 2 know how I can hardwire the lights so that they will go on & off with the rest of the lites inside my car ... i.e. whenever I open my door ...

tkx all
Old 02-03-2001, 03:24 PM

If you want the neons to turn on when you open the door all you need to do is locate a wire from the dome light or from the corner light in the door. If you want the neons to turn on with your dash lights you need to find a wire going to either the dash lights or the dimmer switch. Check it for 12volts with a voltmeter. Tap off of that wire and bring it into a relay for the trigger. Than wire the relay using the output to the neons. It is very important that you use a relay, if not you can short out your dashboard lights, much safer this way. I wouldn't wire them that way, I have neons in my car and have them on a swtich, they can be distracting or annoying after a while, just my thoughts..
1995 GXE 1st Place NOPI Nationals 2000

[Edited by Maxstilln on 02-03-2001 at 05:33 PM]
Old 02-03-2001, 04:03 PM

whoa ....

can u write that in english?

I need an engineering degree or sumthin 2 figure that all out ..

n e wayz ... first off .. how do I identify which wire does what? from a manual? or just digging around down there?

theblue has this switch that was installed on his dash ... 2 manually turn it on & off ... sheitz .. need 2 know how it was done ....

Originally posted by Maxstilln
If you want the neons to turn on when you open the door all you need to do is locate a wire from the dome light or from the corner light in the door. If you want the neons to turn on with your dash lights you need to find a wire going to either the dash lights or the dimmer switch. Check it for 12volts with a voltmeter. Tap off of that wire and bring it into a relay for the trigger. Than wire the relay using the output to the neons. It is very important that you use a relay, if not you can short out your dashboard lights, much safer this way. I wouldn't wire them that way, I have neons in my car and have them on a swtich, they can be distracting or annoying after a while, just my thoughts..

[Edited by Maxstilln on 02-03-2001 at 05:33 PM]
Old 02-04-2001, 08:25 AM

I have black lights in my car and I just wired them into my fuse box inside the car. I ran the ground to a grounded bolt under the steering column (to the left of the clutch) and ran the + wires to an unused fuse. There are 3 types of fuses here:
1) Batt (meaning lights will always be on unless you turn them off and will drain your battery)
2) Acc (Lights will be on whenever your key is in the acc position) *this is how my lights are wired.
3) Ign (lights will only be on when your ignition is on)
I put my + wires into the acc fuse where labeled for a telephone. It's a 10A fuse so it's plenty for the lights, and I doubt I'll be getting a hands free kit soon so I wont need the fuse.
Originally it was wired so my lights were on all the time, but I wanted to be able to turn them off. I went to Pep Boys and bought a 3 dollar switch. I then put then spliced the + wires and put the wire between the light and the fuse:
Black Light------+Switch+-------Fuse
I stuck the switch inside the fuse box so it won't be noticed. Everything works great
Just to wonder what have you guys used to mount your lights? Right now my lights are zip tied, and I'm using a combo doubleback sticky/carpet tape to hold the lights to the paneling. It still comes off sometimes, though.
Note: I thought about neons, but decided on black lights. The light is still blue, but is softer on the eyes. It also looks cool when you have white socks or other interesting clothing BTW I'm getting pics developed today.
-hype

[Edited by xHypex on 02-04-2001 at 11:35 AM]
Old 02-04-2001, 11:22 AM

wow, after looking at all these instructions, I'm glad I just paid to have mine installed... I have them on all the time except when driving in dark areas (outside of the city) for extended periods of time because they make my eyes get tired: here is a pic:
Old 02-04-2001, 11:43 AM

theblue: Some things are definately worth paying for, but the mod is really pretty simple. The hardest part for me is just getting them to stay in a good place Besides its a pretty cheap mod because I got
2 black lights (with plastic covers over the bulbs so they wont break) - $10 each
1 switch - $3
I thought about getting gauges a while back, and then I saw yours. They look great, but I can't consitute getting rid of my tray. I thought about a pillar gauges, but I'll wait till I get a SC or nos for gauges. More money to be spent on other mods.
-hype
Old 02-04-2001, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
I thought about getting gauges a while back, and then I saw yours. They look great, but I can't consitute getting rid of my tray. I thought about a pillar gauges, but I'll wait till I get a SC or nos for gauges. More money to be spent on other mods.
-hype [/I]
I still have the stock try (not the extra one that people get the they put a single DIN radio in)

[Edited by theblue on 02-04-2001 at 01:56 PM]
Old 02-04-2001, 03:06 PM

Step by Step how to....kinda long

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ohboiya
[I]can u write that in english?

I need an engineering degree or sumthin 2 figure that all out ..

n e wayz ... first off .. how do I identify which wire does what? from a manual? or just digging around down there?

theblue has this switch that was installed on his dash ... 2 manually turn it on & off ... sheitz .. need 2 know how it was done ....

Sorry, I can get carried away sometimes. If you get a copy of a Chiltons book, or a service manual they will have a wire diagram which will show you what color wires do what. If you want to have them on a switch its simple, thats what I did and I think its better that way so you can turn them off. First go to the store and get some wire 16 gauge will be fine, and a 12volt relay. You'll also need a pair of stripers (wire stripers, I know what you were all thinking, they wouldn't be half bad though to watch) some crimps, a pair of crimpers and a screwdriver or two. Next mount the neon tubes where ever you want, I used zip ties it was the easiest thing to do and you don't have to make any screw holes. Next solder or crimp the wire + and - on the end of the tubes and run them all so they meet near the switch location. Take all of the + wires and put them into a single crimp onto a spade plug, take all of the - wires and crimp them to an o-ring to be grounded. Find a good spot to ground the - wires, to the chassy hidden under the dash is a good spot, use a self tapping metal screw and torque it in there with a power screwdriver. Next do want the lights to work any time or just when the parking/head lamps are on? If all the time, tap a wire off of the cigarett lighter and run that up to the switch. If you want it to work with the lights use the manual to find the correct wire and tap that and run it over to the switch. Bring the wire into the switch, take the output of the switch to the relay, wire the relay using the diagram included with it. Or follow my instructions below, I am an MECP certified mobile installer so you can trust me.
12volt trigger-wire from switch goes to the tab numbered 86.
Ground- run this wire to ground with the other - wires tab85
12volt+ this wire should come from a 12volt sources, ie fuse box tap or from the batter tab30
Output this wire goes to the + wires you ran from the neon tubes tab 87, not 87a but 87!
It is better to solder the wires together and use crimps onto the relay if in does not come with a harness. If your not sure ask a friend to help or have it installed professionaly. If you live in the Maryland area I would give you a hand, I do most of the work in my car myself.
Check out some pics http://www.photopoint.com listed under Maxstilln@hotmail.com maxima photos.
Old 02-04-2001, 04:31 PM

holy ****...

what the hell do you use all of that gum for?
Old 02-04-2001, 07:02 PM

Re: holy ****...

Originally posted by Cincy94Max
haha and its double mint, that tastes good for about a min before losing flavor. i suggest u switch over to Extra Polor Ice, thats the best gum i ever had...im addicted to it now.

[Edited by SkyMax Jr. on 02-04-2001 at 09:07 PM]
Old 02-04-2001, 08:28 PM

Re: holy ****...

Originally posted by Cincy94Max
It's not for me; it's for the girls!
Old 02-04-2001, 10:17 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Re: holy ****...

SkyMax Jr,
Are those blue neons distracting when you drive? Like during really dark deserted roads. I have the 15" Street Glow black lights and I think they aren't bright enough? Those blue neon looks good, but seems pretty bright. How are they look from outside of the car. I don't want it so bright that people would stare at me at stoplights.
Originally posted by SkyMax Jr.
haha and its double mint, that tastes good for about a min before losing flavor. i suggest u switch over to Extra Polor Ice, thats the best gum i ever had...im addicted to it now.

[Edited by SkyMax Jr. on 02-04-2001 at 09:07 PM] [/I]
Old 02-05-2001, 06:09 AM

Maxstilln, I'm just curious as to why you'd need the relay if the u have control over the switch could be spliced in between the powersource and the + wire of the light, just like how xHypex has his wired? Because you could choose your own powersource whether it be hot with certain instrument on or hot always and still have the ability to cut off the signal with the provided switch. Just curious if they both methods give the same result...the ability to turn on/off at will. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Enduro
Maxstilln, I'm just curious as to why you'd need the relay if the u have control over the switch could be spliced in between the powersource and the + wire of the light, just like how xHypex has his wired? Because you could choose your own powersource whether it be hot with certain instrument on or hot always and still have the ability to cut off the signal with the provided switch. Just curious if they both methods give the same result...the ability to turn on/off at will. Thanks!
Relays offer a safe fuseable link, a very good way to protect the car. If something went wrong the worst that would happen would be a blown fuse or blown relay $10 to replace at the most. With out that it could be most more costly to repair damages with out a fuse, ie replace the dash lights or the dash.
Skyline conversion...its coming....
Old 02-06-2001, 02:58 AM

skyline?

did you say skyline conversion? what do you mean? like tail lights and stuff? how much do you think that is gonna cost you? i ask to many dam questions i know.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Maxstilln
Relays offer a safe fuseable link, a very good way to protect the car. If something went wrong the worst that would happen would be a blown fuse or blown relay $10 to replace at the most. With out that it could be most more costly to repair damages with out a fuse, ie replace the dash lights or the dash.
Skyline conversion...its coming....
Thanks Maxstilln...never thought about the fusible link function of the relay. Would it still work with hooking a direct switch between power source and + of lamp but this time include the appropriate inline fuse close to the power source? This would provide the same safety function if something short or a spike occur right?
Old 02-06-2001, 06:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: holy ****...

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
SkyMax Jr,
Are those blue neons distracting when you drive? Like during really dark deserted roads. I have the 15" Street Glow black lights and I think they aren't bright enough? Those blue neon looks good, but seems pretty bright. How are they look from outside of the car. I don't want it so bright that people would stare at me at stoplights.
sorry, i missed this post before.

its not distracting at all. its actually easy to see from the outside especially if your looking straight onto the front. put it this way, they are bright but they arent enough to hurt someones eyes. definetly brighter than blacklights. the camera i took the pic with is really sensitive to light thats y it seems too bright.
but people do notice them when im at a stop light when their car is right next to me though.