General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Gotta Repaint a door... 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 07:56 AM

Well I got a little extra tax return $$ to spend, i'm going to tint my car and want to repaint one of my doors because it got acid on it and got a few spots. My question is if I take it to a place to get repainted, will the door still match the rest of the car or what? The rest of the car's paint it like perfect so It still looks new IMO. I just dont wanna have one of my doors lighter/darker than the rest of the car.
Old 02-04-2001, 09:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Me too

I as well am bringing my 2k1 Max (Black on Black) in to have the door repainted (somebody broke into my car and messed up the door). Number one advise, look at the cars that have been painted at the shop you are going to. Try to find a freshly painted car in a dark color,it shows more flaws. Ask what was been done and where it was painted. Look for orange peel (the paint looking like the skin of an orange), also look for fish eyes (little holes in the paint from bubbles poping and leaving a little hole in the paint. Ofcourse make sure the paint matches, you should not be able to tell where they painted the car (most people would not be able to tell but the people with an eye for it). Look around and see how they treat there customers cars, are they backed up into the bushes in there small paking lot or does it seem like they respect the customers cars.

If you want good work it will not be the cheapest work, but in my opinion bodywork and paint has to be perfect. I know you know what I mean, with your concern for a mismatch in color. With a good shop you should not see a diffrence in color or shade on your door as to the rest of the car. They should actually repaint the door and fade it into the front fender and rear door, you will have most of the side of the car repainted if it is done right.

Mark
Old 02-04-2001, 09:37 AM

same boat

I've been wanting to get a ding repaired, and since it's on a corner it can't be fixed by the dent man. From what I've found asking around everyone says you'll be able to see where a repair has been made when the car is clean. Nobody else will notice but the owner will. When the car is clean the body is almost like a mirror--even tiny dings can be seen. If it's just paint it'll probably be one of those double-takes--you don't notice the first time but if you look twice you do. Repair is much worse, whenever there's bondo you will see it no matter what when you look really close. Looks like super-fine scratches.

But what's the alternative? I've seen lots of 4th gens with minor dents and scrapes and you can understand the owners just aren't that particular.
Old 02-04-2001, 10:10 AM

Call your dealer. If they do not have an in-house body shop, they will reccomend you to the place they use. Any respectable dealer will use a good shop. This is what I did and it worked well for me.
Old 02-04-2001, 11:07 AM

If you plan on trading your car in a couple of years, my advice would be not to repaint the car. Any paint work would hit the car resale value more than a few acid stains.

Old 02-04-2001, 01:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 96 VQ 30
If you plan on trading your car in a couple of years, my advice would be not to repaint the car. Any paint work would hit the car resale value more than a few acid stains.
I Agree!

Mark