General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Matthel's Maxima Chop Shop #2

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Matthel's Maxima Chop Shop #2

Hey everyone

well its been awhile since SSF PD visited my chop shop so i guess they decided to come by this morning at 7am. uhh, i kinda wrote it like a story...oh well

Friday July 18th, 7am
Matthel dreaming of oatmeal suddenly hears the doorbell ring and knockknock. still sleepy and tired he decides to ignore the ring, 2 min pass and doorbell rings again and knockknock. His roomate Dom thinks its UPS delivering a stolen
part for our chop shop so he rushes to the door and finds SSF PD officer. So he calls Matthel down and he greets the officer. The officer asks questions about parts lying around and asks about the 3rd gen we're working on. He then runs the
plate on the 3rd gen to see if its stolen and gets info on the owner of the car. Then he asks Matthel if he can look in the garage, having nothing to hide Matthel agrees. The officer goes into the
garage and asks about items in the garage and then runs the plates on both Dom's and Matthel's Motorcycles. After that the officer runs the plate on TurtleMax. He explains a few things yadayada and then leaves. Matthel goes back upstairs to try
and sleep before he has to go to work. Within 2 min doorbell rings again. The officer is back and says the plate doesnt come up in the DMV system,so he goes back in the garage to compare the registration to the VIN number on TurtleMax. Nothing comes up because everything in our chop
shop is legit. SSF PD leaves and Life goes on...

PS. Is there an appropriate forum i should post this in? OT? feel free to move it...
Old 07-19-2003, 05:50 PM
¿Hablas Español?

That blows man. How many times have they been out to your place? No chance in heII you'd find me agreeing to allow them to search my garage or house without a warrant. You got neighbors that are reporting you or what?
Old 07-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Administrator

no no.. this is good stuff leae it here
Old 07-19-2003, 07:11 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Matthel, my recommendation is to start video taping all of this. If they ask, tell them it's for a friend at a local newstation...
Old 07-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

f that...bring on the search warrant...
Old 07-19-2003, 07:43 PM

heheh, this is great, made the officer feel like a complete idiot :P, even though he was doing his job.....just feels kinda good being above the system
Old 07-20-2003, 01:44 AM

my neighbor went through something simlar with cops harassing him about his Limos. he recommended me go to the Police station talk to the Lieutnant to get more info/talk bout things and if its someone who always calling the cops we can arrange a meeting at the police station to try and resolve things...
Old 07-20-2003, 03:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

open up the real shop you've been planning to open up already!
Old 07-20-2003, 05:06 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

If I were you.. I would go to the police station and talk to the Head **** in charge.

This is now harassment and your being WAY to nice.

SOMEONE has to be calling them with info.

I would suggest talking to ALL of your neighbors and teh talking to the cops.

Next time they come... Leave them on the front steps and call a news station
Old 07-20-2003, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by Chris91SE
f that...bring on the search warrant...
Exactly. I would tell him my rights and tell him to come back with a search warrant if he owuld like to investigate.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:33 AM

Look at it this way. If you're being legit and they are "investigating" allegations, they'll soon get bored when they can't find anything after so many tries. That is when they become complacent, and you'll be able to open a "real" chop shop under their noses without suspicion. Best place to hide something is sometimes out in the open.
Seriously though. They may be getting complaints of other activities and are using the "chop shop" angle to gain entry (aka "Knock and Talks"). K and T's are very useful. Basically, they say they are investigating a complaint, and ask for consent (keyword is consent) to walk through your house. This is with the premise of looking for certain things in the complaint (stolen car parts). But in actuality, they are looking for other things, like roaches in ashtrays, small baggies, scales, etc... (anything that may be illegal) that is in plain sight (key words are plain sight). Then they can make an arrest, and search the entire property for more evidence SITA (Search Incidental to Arrest). This is basically how a K & T works. Extremely useful tool, and you'd be surprised how many people will let you in their house while there are blunts in the ashtray, rocks on a tray, and powder on scales in the living room. A lot of times there is no complaint from neighbors or anyone else (even though you may be told there is). It is because you got the suspicion of an officer aroused (flashy car, clothes, gang affiliation, etc...), and he wants to check you out.
Simply, if it was me, I would not let anyone in my house without a warrant. Period (and I definitely don't have anything to hide, it's just principle). However, if it is in your yard, it is in "plain sight." They can check things there and around your house where people can lawfully be without your explicit consent.
You can start making complaints to the chief, but that may not go very far. Chiefs generally back their officers. Media is a powerful tool in situations like this, but it depends on public perception (do you live in a drug neighborhood, gang land, etc...). A lawyer could give you legal advise. But, as long as the officers aren't doing anything illegal, there's not much you can do. It's not harassment if they articulate a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been, is being, or will be committed. They are just doing their job. But if they are denied entry a few times, they'll get the idea and back off for a while (and without probable cause, no warrant can be issued). However, make sure you are clean in every aspect, because you can still be pulled over for traffic violations, etc... and vehicle "patted down" (plain sight, not "searched") without your consent.
These are just my experienced views. Others may differ.

Dave
Old 07-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

damn Matthel...

I wasnt there this time eheheeh thats just gay dude SSFPD needs to find the real people stealing those cars... how many months has it been? would they really thinkyou are doing it when they check up on you ALL the time??? you dont hide anything... i just think they're being gay...

I remember all those gay retarded questions/accusations they made against me... *** monkey ball licking *****...
Old 07-20-2003, 11:13 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

They should have known you do not hide all the stolen parts in your garage... they are in the BACKYARD!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Turbo95Max,
You helped me with my car awhile back. If you need help let me know.
y
Old 07-20-2003, 10:03 PM
lcf

Originally posted by Dave Holmes
Look at it this way. If you're being legit and they are "investigating" allegations, they'll soon get bored when they can't find anything after so many tries. That is when they become complacent, and you'll be able to open a "real" chop shop under their noses without suspicion. Best place to hide something is sometimes out in the open.
Seriously though. They may be getting complaints of other activities and are using the "chop shop" angle to gain entry aka "Knock and Talks&quot. K and T's are very useful. Basically, they say they are investigating a complaint, and ask for consent (keyword is consent) to walk through your house. This is with the premise of looking for certain things in the complaint (stolen car parts). But in actuality, they are looking for other things, like roaches in ashtrays, small baggies, scales, etc... (anything that may be illegal) that is in plain sight (key words are plain sight). Then they can make an arrest, and search the entire property for more evidence SITA (Search Incidental to Arrest). This is basically how a K & T works. Extremely useful tool, and you'd be surprised how many people will let you in their house while there are blunts in the ashtray, rocks on a tray, and powder on scales in the living room. A lot of times there is no complaint from neighbors or anyone else (even though you may be told there is). It is because you got the suspicion of an officer aroused (flashy car, clothes, gang affiliation, etc...), and he wants to check you out.
Simply, if it was me, I would not let anyone in my house without a warrant. Period (and I definitely don't have anything to hide, it's just principle). However, if it is in your yard, it is in "plain sight." They can check things there and around your house where people can lawfully be without your explicit consent.
You can start making complaints to the chief, but that may not go very far. Chiefs generally back their officers. Media is a powerful tool in situations like this, but it depends on public perception (do you live in a drug neighborhood, gang land, etc...). A lawyer could give you legal advise. But, as long as the officers aren't doing anything illegal, there's not much you can do. It's not harassment if they articulate a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been, is being, or will be committed. They are just doing their job. But if they are denied entry a few times, they'll get the idea and back off for a while (and without probable cause, no warrant can be issued). However, make sure you are clean in every aspect, because you can still be pulled over for traffic violations, etc... and vehicle "patted down" plain sight, not "searched&quot without your consent.
These are just my experienced views. Others may differ.

Dave

OMG, well ******* said. Said everything I would've said... except I would've spelled "advice" properly!

Turbo95Max, PLEASE DO NOT GIVE CONSENT TO ALLOW THEM TO COME INTO YOUR GARAGE OR INTO YOUR HOME ANYMORE. It does NOT matter if you are innocent, or not. Heh. Your civil rights are being violated, my friend!! I'd be sooo pist if this were happening to me.

BTW, the reason they're coming around without a warrant is because they don't have enough evidence to get a Judge or magistrate to sign one.

Next time they come around all you have to say is, "Officer [insert name here], I've consulted an attorney about what's been going on these past few months and I've been told that my civil rights are being violated. I'm not doing anything illegal and have nothing to hide but this is bordering harrassment. Please don't come back unless you have a warrant."

I hope you have the ***** to say this... I've said something similar to an officer who tried to search my vehicle once. I think one of my eyes teared.

I also hope you have a journal of dates and times of all of these visits. If you don't, whip one up really quick before too much time passes and you forget. If you're really serious about this I would draft a very professional letter and carbon copy it, then mail it out to all of your local news stations, police chief, mayor, governor, and both state senators.

Plz don't **** with me. Gl hf.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:08 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

i reported u in, matt!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:54 PM

yea i wish i knew a lawyer....could use some good advice.