General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got burned on a Maxima purchase and I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Got burned on a Maxima purchase and I need some advice

Well I don’t know if this belongs in the general forums but here goes.

Yesterday I went to go pick up a used 96 Maxima which I bought off another Org member in Connecticut. The car looks and drives great and at 6400 dollars I figured it was an ok deal, because he has already installed about 3~4 grand worth of mods in it.

Anyways me and a friend drove down there to go pick the car up from him. Everything looked ok at first but on the way home stuff started happening, the car started to lose electrical stuff one thing at a time till it finally died on the side of the road. I called AAA and had it towed to the nearest repair shop, everyone including me suspects it has a bad alternator and I am not about to pay for the repair. I’ve called the guy numerous times and I have not gotten a single response from him yet (it’s like he has disappeared). Because of his lack of response, today I went to my bank (it’s open on a Sunday ) and issued a stop payment on the bank check.

I would also like to note he signed off all the paperwork and title to me stating that I am now the owner of the car. The bank has issued me a refund on my money and I have his title and plates. Legally where do I stand with this car? Since I’ve taken back my money and I have all the paperwork for his car. I assume he’s going to call me tomorrow when he tries to cash this check and it bounces. Me personally right now im so mad I don’t want to give him anything, but I’m guessing he can call the cops and said that I stole it; what do you guys think?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:24 AM

I figured it would be sold AS IS, but wait for his call and see what happens. IF you have your money, and he doesnt im not sure where it stands.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally posted by SEguy182
I figured it would be sold AS IS, but wait for his call and see what happens. IF you have your money, and he doesnt im not sure where it stands.
No Here in Massachusetts you cannot sell a car for over 800 dollars "as is". We have a law known as the "lemon law" where the previous owner has to fix the car if it doesn't pass inspection or breaks down like this one did. Even if the car is purchased out of state Massachusetts residents are still protected under the law.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:47 AM
SLOW

I'm sure the fact that you stopped the check will cause him to call you. That's shady that he tried to swindle you. He probably could have just let you know about the prob and you guys could have made the deal a little lower so that you can get the alternator repaired yourself. BTW was this a well known org member or just some random 3 post user.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:50 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

This is great. What an idiot. Payback is the best feeling in the world. Tell him to come pick up his POS... and go find another car.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I'm sure the fact that you stopped the check will cause him to call you. That's shady that he tried to swindle you. He probably could have just let you know about the prob and you guys could have made the deal a little lower so that you can get the alternator repaired yourself. BTW was this a well known org member or just some random 3 post user.
I dont think he knew about the problem, he seemed pretty cool and reliable. He said he knew Deezo, AndyXXL, DaboxSE, and several other old school NE members. Hes been on the board since 2001 but to keep people from flaming him im not gonna give his name out. And it might not even be the alternator, that was just an educated guess that we made.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally posted by amixam98
This is great. What an idiot. Payback is the best feeling in the world. Tell him to come pick up his POS... and go find another car.
Ha Id rather have him fix all that is wrong with this car, Ive been looking for a car like this for like 2 years now. Ehhh I dont know this should be interesting to see what happens, maybe I should just tow it to Nissan and have them try to fix everything and send him the bill.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Got burned on a Maxima purchase and I need some advice

Right now, it is your word against his when it comes to the electrical problems. That proves nothing. What can be proven is that he sold you a car and you stopped payment on the check. That is stealing.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:17 AM

If you suspect the alternator, did the charge lamp come on while you were driving back? If it did, then the car was fine when you bought it, you were just SOL and it crapped out at the most unfortunate time. If the alternator charge lamp was on the minute you started the car, I am sure you would not have driven it home. Right? If it crapped out 2 days later, would you insit for the seller to repair the car?

My opinion on this; a used car is a used car and you assume risks with every used car purchase. If at the time of sale, the car was fine, that is the key. Anything that breaks down after that is your responsibility. That is why car inspections are done.

It sucks ... but you also have to put yourself in the seller's shoes. He is selling a used car. The engine could crap out on you tomorrow, would you ask the seller to repair the engine too? The seller cannot predict when stuff will crap out and neither can you. Things will just quit. That, my friend, is a used car.

I know you're mad ... but sit down and think it out for a while. If the car was fine when you bought it, then it is just your bad luck.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally posted by pocketrocket
If you suspect the alternator, did the charge lamp come on while you were driving back? If it did, then the car was fine when you bought it, you were just SOL and it crapped out at the most unfortunate time. If the alternator charge lamp was on the minute you started the car, I am sure you would not have driven it home. Right? If it crapped out 2 days later, would you insit for the seller to repair the car?

My opinion on this; a used car is a used car and you assume risks with every used car purchase. If at the time of sale, the car was fine, that is the key. Anything that breaks down after that is your responsibility. That is why car inspections are done.

It sucks ... but you also have to put yourself in the seller's shoes. He is selling a used car. The engine could crap out on you tomorrow, would you ask the seller to repair the engine too? The seller cannot predict when stuff will crap out and neither can you. Things will just quit. That, my friend, is a used car.

I know you're mad ... but sit down and think it out for a while. If the car was fine when you bought it, then it is just your bad luck.
There was no charge lamp on when I got it, my friend was just driving it and it crapped out.
No I did not expect this to happen to me, however because of the law in Mass I can have him repair the car at his own expense or buy the car back from me. Right now I Dont know what im gonna do with it, I must just give it back to him
Old 07-20-2003, 11:31 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

tell us anyway who it was.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:52 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Drop the pooer-helpless-victim attitude and sack up. So you had an unexpected mechanical/electrical failure - not like that's never happened to a car before. Did you do your due diligence before completing the deal? Did you take the car to a shop? Did you manually check for codes in the ECU? Did you look for any evidence of recent repairs or shoddy cover-up work for known problems?

For something like an alternator going bad, you sure took some pretty severe action. And let's see here...On a Sunday morning you wrote that you picked up the car yesterday and haven't been able to get a call returned. Ever consider that it's the weekend and might have gone out of town, be banging his g/f at her place, hanging at a buddy's place, out for a ballgame all day? It can't have been 24 hours between your attempt to first contact him regarding your knowledge of the problem and your stopping payment on the check. That's pretty ridiculous on your part.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:12 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

The repair shop that it was towed to, I assumed they're not open on Sundays. Have they looked at the car? For arguement purpose let's say it was the "alternator" that crap out while you were driving home. Alternators can and will go out without any signs of trouble. You drive to work in the morning every thing is fine, 8hrs later you start the car up the the battery light is on. Especially since you stated there was no battery light on when you were test driving the car. I understand your frustration for stopping the check due to not being able to get in touch with the seller. But keep in mind the sale was made on a Saturday, some folks might party on Sat night hense the reason you can't get in touch with them. As the other member stated you're in possesion of a stolen property. Honestly I would have the car looked and repaired, keep all paper work. When you're able to get in touch with the seller nicely explain the situation to him and hopefully you two can come to an agreement. If you're unable to come to an agreement. I DONT see how your state law can be in your favor if it was the "aternator"

Now it it's not the "alternator" and it's a problem that only comes up after the car been driven for a few hours then you might have your state law in your favor because there's a good possibility that the seller knew about the problem.

More than likely he probably wasn't going to deposit the check until Monday so hopefully you'll get in touch with him by then and you can explain the situation.

Good luck
Old 07-20-2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by 98SEBlackMax

No Here in Massachusetts you cannot sell a car for over 800 dollars "as is". We have a law known as the "lemon law" where the previous owner has to fix the car if it doesn't pass inspection or breaks down like this one did. Even if the car is purchased out of state Massachusetts residents are still protected under the law.
ah ok, down here...totally different, as is, IS as is.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I cannot believe that if you buy my car in Florida that your protected by the state of Mass. Thats BS. The lemmon law is national and I think it applies to new cars. (I think) If an alternator went out on the way home thats just crappy luck on your part. The guy may be gone for the weekend and you should have given him the chance to reply. Here in Florida you pull that stop payment crap without legal backing you can be liable for three times the amount stopped. To me you sound like a baby whiner. There is no way to know if an electrical part is gonna fail. Asd lond as it's just the alt...fix it and shut up and bring the guy cash and apologize.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:39 PM

Don't worry about the people saying that technically you are stealing the car. You can't get in trouble for that, worst case scenario he tries to pull some **** and files a charge, then you just give the car back. He can't press charges for stealing AND get the car back. If you give it back all charges are dropped. Anyways, i've been in a situation where I made a deposit on a lemon maxima, but never paid the full price before I realized it had been totaled/rebuilt, long story. Anyways he didn't answer phone calls, and if he did he would say its not his problem and he's keeping the deposit. So, I called the local police, who contacted him, threatened to press charges etc. on him and he was real scared because he had a previous record of smuggling car parts from overseas. You should call your local police and tell them your story. They will direct you in the right path. Most likely they will ask for his address/information and go to his house to ask his side of the story. He'll be home eventually. If the car really is a lemon, the police knocking at his door will most likely scare him enough into giving you your money back and taking the car back.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:16 PM

Maybe this will help???

Mass.The Used Vehicle Warranty Law

Lemon Aid Law (Mass)

Private Party Sales:
In addition to the Lemon Aid Law requirements, a private party who sells a consumer a used vehicle must tell the buyer about any known use or safety defects. If the buyer discovers a defect which impairs the safety or substantially impairs the use of the vehicle, and can prove the seller knew about it, then the buyer can return the vehicle within 30 days of purchase. Private parties are bound by this law, regardless of the age or selling price of the vehicle.(From Web site listed above)
Old 07-20-2003, 02:27 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by Dipes2000SE
Maybe this will help???

Lemon Aid Law (Mass)

Private Party Sales:
In addition to the Lemon Aid Law requirements, a private party who sells a consumer a used vehicle must tell the buyer about any known use or safety defects. If the buyer discovers a defect which impairs the safety or substantially impairs the use of the vehicle, and can prove the seller knew about it, then the buyer can return the vehicle within 30 days of purchase. Private parties are bound by this law, regardless of the age or selling price of the vehicle.(From Web site listed above)
Yeah, that's all well and good but I still fail to see how this law would apply to a sale in another state.

As for not being in trouble if you give the car back - think again. If it's considered theft you do get your car back and you can press charges, at least here in AZ. In fact, the officer taking my report asked me that very question. Will you press charges if we find the thiefs and recover your vehicle. Theft is theft. Part of punitive damages will be return of what's stolen but it doesn't get you off the hook for criminal activity, which is how I personally would classify buying a vehicle and then stopping payment.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:32 PM

Can you stop payment on a cashiers check? Or if he accepted a personal check then he's a greater fool for sure. Because can you imagine, say it's not a car, but a house, you have the house AND your downpayment of maybe $150,000? If I were him, I would not take the car back and if you refuse to pay I'd take you to court--for that amount it is worth it.

If you cannot sell a car is MA "as is" then that is a bizarre state. I got burned on my 2nd car where I totally got ripped-off, live and learn I guess. The car had a head gasket about to go and I bought it without knowing that. Took the **** to court and lost--that was New York State where they are very liberal as far as protecting consumers, yet they still preach caveat emptor.

Morally, you have every right to be upset and that dude may be a sc***** if he knew the car wouldn't even make it to your house. But legally, I think you are in the wrong. You cannot simply cancel the deal and give the car back when you signed a bill of sale and have physical possession of the vehicle. Good luck in straightening this mess out, because I'm sure all you really wanted was a nice 4th gen to drive, not this headache.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:34 PM

I'm not sure on the exact law either, i just posted it thinking it might help.

I live in NY and laws are totally different.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:40 PM

well, about not pressing charges, I guess technically you can, but it would be pretty stupid. In my case, if I pressed charges the guy would go to jail and therefore if he was in jail he would not have the money to pay me back. I opted to get my money back than see in suffer in jail. I would have loved to watch him get tortured but not for 2000 dollars.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally posted by Dipes2000SE
Maybe this will help???

Lemon Aid Law (Mass)

Private Party Sales:
Yes that was my main claim for doing what I did, but I dont know if he knew about the problem ahead of time or not. The burdon of proof is on me to prove that. Another thing I failed to mention earlier is that there were fuses blown on the fuse panel, but some of the fuses were higher value than what the book recomended and they blew up just before this happened (the dash gauges went dead right before the car died). So I know he put in bigger values, but that might not mean anything. I checked the fuses when it was dead on the side of the road to see if I that was the problem, thats when I noticed wrong values in there. And no I didnt check the fuses before I bought the car, thats normally something I would not have considered but i will now.

So if it isnt the alternator it has some other electrical problem, that he failed to mention to me. Because why would he put higher values in there and they were still blowing up?

On another note the Law also says if the car fails to pass inspection for any safety or emissons issue and the cost of repairs is 10% or greater than the car sale the owner has to buy the car back or pay for the repairs. It wont pass emissons testing if it wont start and it sure wont pass safety tests with none of the gauges or lights working.

So no im not "hiding" behind some imaginary law that I made up nor I am trying to weasel my way out of this. I will either pay him the money for the car or give him the car back and Yes I admit I did over-react with putting the check on hold, but so would alot of people if they were in this situation.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Getting back to his roots

Um, if the owner of the car is from CT, then the MA lemon law doesn't apply...its only for sales that occur in MA, I know because I have bought cars from NH before and tried to apply the Lemon Law unsuccessfully.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by joaquink

Yeah, that's all well and good but I still fail to see how this law would apply to a sale in another state.

As for not being in trouble if you give the car back - think again. If it's considered theft you do get your car back and you can press charges, at least here in AZ. In fact, the officer taking my report asked me that very question. Will you press charges if we find the thiefs and recover your vehicle. Theft is theft. Part of punitive damages will be return of what's stolen but it doesn't get you off the hook for criminal activity, which is how I personally would classify buying a vehicle and then stopping payment.
I agree--even the way it's phrased is if you can "prove" that the seller had knowledge. That means court, that means $$$. Unless the seller is in the biz of selling vehicles, he simply states "no knowledge."

Look at a real estate contract--the seller must disclose pets, roofing, termites, flooding, etc. It is very difficult to back out of a purchase and claim they had knowledge of something that they didn't disclose. Somebody earlier mentioned "due diligence," and suggested taking the car beforehand to a repair shop. There's a good chance they'd miss the problem too--how many times have we brought our cars to Nissan only to have them say a problem is normal or they couldn't duplicate it, esp. under warranty?????

Anyway, I'm still surprised that stop-pymt can be issued on a cashiers check, because I don't think it can. And it is a very big deal to get one replaced from what I have heard. Just like a car dealer will not accept payment on a car by credit card for the simple reason that you can dispute the transaction. Sometimes it's better to pay a little more and get a certified used car because problems can be rectified. CAn you imagine if this were a 2002 M3 private party sale with a blown motor, which is a known problem? So now you're gonna say the seller had knowledge that late 2001/early 2002 M3's could have motor problems, he has to take the car back? Nah, caveat emptor, it's one of life's basic lessons.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:38 PM

You have to follow the lemon laws in the state that you bought the car in. Unfortunately CT website on the topic is very brief and does not give that much info on the topic.

CT Lemon Law Policy

Just trying to give info that might help resolve the conflict.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:40 PM
lcf

Firstly, we all know that alternator's die eventually and they don't cost very much to replace ($100-200?). The alternator in my girlfriend's '92 Corsica died at a really sh!tty time. She was on a major interstate at 10pm. And just her luck, the next exit was 25 miles away.

Unfortunately, I was born without the gift of prophecy, so I was not know that the damned thing would go when it did. I'm assuming that very few of us have this gift and I'm pretty sure that the seller in this transaction doesn't have this gift either. It was just bad luck that the alternator died right after you had bought it.

Stopping payment? This could be seen as fraud by many, many people...
Old 07-20-2003, 03:43 PM

Not to knock the buyer of this car but when you buy a used car its your car. That's like me buying a car and in one week the alternator goes out and then I try and get my money back, in VA they would laugh at you. You bought a used car and I am sure they guy didn't intentionally sell you the car not knowing it had an alternator problem. Its part of owning a used car and you should have to fix it, you making a stop payment on a Sunday, that is kind of a weak move on your part, since you do have the title to the car and all.

I would call him and try to work it out, but I figure your gonna do what your gonna do. I think you should give the guy the money, get a new alternator and move on. Also on the law working if you were to buy a car here in VA and something happen, if you think the law would hold here, our courts would tell you to take a hike.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Before we start bashing the buyer

Let me ask you this. "Suppose" it's NOT the alternator but a more severe problem that doesn't act up until the car has been driven for a few hours? "Suppose" the seller knew about this problem and that's why higher amp rating fuses were put in. Let's just suppose, then what?
Old 07-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Re: Before we start bashing the buyer

Originally posted by CandiMan
Let me ask you this. "Suppose" it's NOT the alternator but a more severe problem that doesn't act up until the car has been driven for a few hours? "Suppose" the seller knew about this problem and that's why higher amp rating fuses were put in. Let's just suppose, then what?
Well I know it could be something else, but I read the CT state law on car sales and there is no lemon law for a used car being sold that is protected like it is in Massachusetts. I didnt know that until I read deeply into the Mass and CT laws. However there are plently of laws about fraud and theft so yeah im screwed, not to mention this is over state lines so this could become a federal case. So basically im screwed, its my car and now its my problem. Im gonna phone the guy in a few minutes leave a message about how I screwed up and get him a new bank check tomorrow. Hopefully he wont get ****ed about it and maybe now he can tell me what happened to the car, because now he legally doenst have any obligation to pay for the repairs or buy the car back from me.

So yeah feel free to laugh at me and say I told you so or whatever.

oh and BTW im not too worried if its a electrical problem as long as I can get it home and I can work on it. Ive fixed electrical problems on other cars in the past so its not to difficult for me. Anyone in Mass have a tow truck that I can borrow?
Old 07-20-2003, 05:17 PM

Good Luck with the situation. Keep us informed on what happens.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:31 PM

Re: Re: Before we start bashing the buyer

Well I know it could be something else, but I read the CT state law on car sales and there is no lemon law for a used car being sold that is protected like it is in Massachusetts. I didnt know that until I read deeply into the Mass and CT laws. However there are plently of laws about fraud and theft so yeah im screwed, not to mention this is over state lines so this could become a federal case. So basically im screwed, its my car and now its my problem. Im gonna phone the guy in a few minutes leave a message about how I screwed up and get him a new bank check tomorrow. Hopefully he wont get ****ed about it and maybe now he can tell me what happened to the car, because now he legally doenst have any obligation to pay for the repairs or buy the car back from me.

oh and BTW im not too worried if its a electrical problem as long as I can get it home and I can work on it. Ive fixed electrical problems on other cars in the past so its not to difficult for me. Anyone in Mass have a tow truck that I can borrow?
What you need is AAA Plus--that'll give you 100 miles on a flatbed.

Hey, chances are you're not a bad person nor is the seller. The car is an emotional thing, it's unlikely that after spending thousands the car wouldn't even make it home. But it happened. So you reacted. Hopefully all will be well by say, Tue. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:51 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

That seller is gonna be real ****ed at you - I ope you at least left hima voicemail telling him you cancelled the check.

You need to talk to a lawayer, because you can get in some serious trouble - if he needed that $6400 for another deal and that deal falls through because he doesn't have the 6400 you stopped, then you could be civilly liable for any losses he incurs due to the failure of the deal. etc

You need to figure out what is wrong with the car NOW. If it's an alternator etc that is less than 10% of the value of the car then you are responsible for that repair unless you can prove he knew about it. Bigger fuses isn't gonna cut it.

Thready lighty. The ice here is very thin.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:01 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally posted by Scruit
That seller is gonna be real ****ed at you - I ope you at least left hima voicemail telling him you cancelled the check.

You need to talk to a lawayer, because you can get in some serious trouble - if he needed that $6400 for another deal and that deal falls through because he doesn't have the 6400 you stopped, then you could be civilly liable for any losses he incurs due to the failure of the deal. etc

You need to figure out what is wrong with the car NOW. If it's an alternator etc that is less than 10% of the value of the car then you are responsible for that repair unless you can prove he knew about it. Bigger fuses isn't gonna cut it.

Thready lighty. The ice here is very thin.
I did leave him a voice mail explaining everything. I hope he doesnt get ****ed and yes I know legally any liablilities I owe him. But the thing is the check hasnt been cashed yet and tomorrow afternoon he will have the second check in his hands. The car is gonna be towed to my house via AAA plus service, the car is 90 miles away at a garage in south western Mass. The only thing is how am I gonna prove that I delivered the second check to him? If i just leave it in his mailbox with his old license plates how can I prove he cashed it and got his money ?
Old 07-20-2003, 06:01 PM

Re: Re: Before we start bashing the buyer

Well, I'm gonna chime in by saying that I was the driver for the vehicle in question, and up until things started getting sketchy, the car was in good condition. I remember driving down the road, and all of a sudden, the CD player died, then everything got dim. When I pulled over, the car just up and died. IMO however, it could have been taken care of better, but I know Joe will baby the thing. Dude, it sucks that things didn't go your way, but I guess thats the way life goes. Good luck, if you need me to help with anything (and I'm available), call my celly...
Old 07-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Re: Re: Re: Before we start bashing the buyer

Originally posted by TheSoundSoldier

Dude, it sucks that things didn't go your way, but I guess thats the way life goes. Good luck, if you need me to help with anything (and I'm available), call my celly...
OMG this guy is a saint... I just got off the phone with him and he was sorry that the car was broken down. I told him what happened with the check and he said it was ok and just to get another check for $6400. Hes even gonna goto the shop with me tomorrow to check out the car and see if he can fix it. All else fails he said he might even recondsider the price and give me some of his cash to fix the car. Holy crap I got lucky today...
Old 07-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Decal Specialist

Re: Re: Re: Re: Before we start bashing the buyer

OMG this guy is a saint... I just got off the phone with him and he was sorry that the car was broken down. I told him what happened with the check and he said it was ok and just to get another check for $6400. Hes even gonna goto the shop with me tomorrow to check out the car and see if he can fix it. All else fails he said he might even recondsider the price and give me some of his cash to fix the car. Holy crap I got lucky today...
Nice to here the good news. Sorry to here the bad news, but at least he is going to try to work with you. If it makes you feel any better, I bought a T-bird SC a few years back. Had it 10 days and the motor just died as i was turning into a buddy's driveway. "as-is" left me with a $3k repair bill on my new car.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:21 PM
lcf

Originally posted by Sqard
well, about not pressing charges, I guess technically you can, but it would be pretty stupid. In my case, if I pressed charges the guy would go to jail and therefore if he was in jail he would not have the money to pay me back. I opted to get my money back than see in suffer in jail. I would have loved to watch him get tortured but not for 2000 dollars.
Bud, going to jail is going to jail. Paying a debt is paying a debt. Going to jail because you tried to defraud your way out of a debt does not mean you no longer owe that debt. I wish I could go to jail for a few months to get rid of my debt. Heh.

Anyway... 98SEBlackMax, seems like everything is okay. Cool beans.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:27 PM

Depending on what type of repairs need to be made, if it is just an alternator, then just pay for the car in full and suck up te cost of repair. It is normal for a 7 yr old car to need some minor work done to it. If anything more than alternator needs to be done- take the car back. if the former owner is being a biotch about it, then stop the damn check. He can not do anything about getting his money back, it is too costly to hire a lawyer, and your repair bill is evidence that car had probs he knew about.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Before we start bashing the buyer

Nice freakin' deal man! I'm glad things are looking up, and now you have a car that you want, congrats bro!

So when can I drive it again???
Old 07-20-2003, 08:36 PM

I almost forgot... make absolutely sure that you get everything outta the way, including that weird knocking sound coming from the motor. Now that I think of it, is this the original tranny with the car? Just fine-tooth comb the car completely inside and out and make sure it can be driven back to your house (or if your going the tow route still, thats cool as well)...

Quick Reply: Got burned on a Maxima purchase and I need some advice