General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nissan’s 3.0-liter Makes 2001 Ward's Ten Best Engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 06:27 AM

I guess the VQ engine will always be the BEST :-)

http://www.autoworld.com/news/full_story.asp?id=678
Old 02-05-2001, 08:04 AM

Yeah

It's pretty much a given that the VQ-series engines will make Top Ten every year. However, I think it's not because it is necessarily the best V6 engine, but rather it was the best in 1995, and the Wards editors have this preconceived notion that it is still the best. Don't get me wrong. The VQ is excellent,but if you drive the competition, especially Toyota, their V6 engines feel every bit as smooth and powerful as the VQ.

Still, it's great to drive a car with a world class engine.

Old 02-05-2001, 10:27 AM

"Ward’s evaluators singled out the VQ engine’s throttle response, smoothness and the way engineers handled reciprocating mass issues."

Great engine. Good specific output and middle range. And Nissan is supposed to up the engine to 240 HP next year. And the 3.5 VQ, is supposed to be around 260 HP. Nissan knows engines.
Old 02-05-2001, 10:49 AM

Ward's did mention that they looked at other variants of the VQ, stating that the VQ was "the basis of every near-term engine" or something to that effect.

They also said that they did evaluate the 3.5 and it was not as refined as the 3.0. They mentionned "gruffness" and wondered if the engine would be reworked when put into a sedan.

This was clearly a shot over Nissan's bow to get them to clean up the engine, which I am sure Nissan will do and certainly did not need the mention to do it.

The 3.5 will be the engine for the new Z and the 2002 Max, which has been posted elsewhere on the board (in the Philly car show) that the 3.5 will be available in all 2002 Maximas (Maximae?). The poster said nothing about the choice of trannys (y'all know I am pulling for the 6 speed stick) but the poster did say that there will be no bodywork redone. (kinda sounds like what I said 3 months ago).

The VQ rocks... Keep-em commin' Nissan!

Old 02-05-2001, 11:53 AM
The missing moderator

I suspect we won't see a 6 speed unless the maxima becomes rwd. a 6 speed gear box means the bell housing would have to be enlarged... I am not sure if there's enough room for that. BTW 6 speed doesn't really always mean faster. If yuo gear it wrong, you lose any potential for gain the in the time required to shift.

I just hope nissan will actually beef up the tranny next time around.

-Shing

Originally posted by bert
Ward's did mention that they looked at other variants of the VQ, stating that the VQ was "the basis of every near-term engine" or something to that effect.

They also said that they did evaluate the 3.5 and it was not as refined as the 3.0. They mentionned "gruffness" and wondered if the engine would be reworked when put into a sedan.

This was clearly a shot over Nissan's bow to get them to clean up the engine, which I am sure Nissan will do and certainly did not need the mention to do it.

The 3.5 will be the engine for the new Z and the 2002 Max, which has been posted elsewhere on the board (in the Philly car show) that the 3.5 will be available in all 2002 Maximas (Maximae?). The poster said nothing about the choice of trannys (y'all know I am pulling for the 6 speed stick) but the poster did say that there will be no bodywork redone. (kinda sounds like what I said 3 months ago).

Old 02-05-2001, 12:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well there is a company offering 6-sp trannies for the fwd VW crowd. But is costs like $6000!

Originally posted by Shingles
I suspect we won't see a 6 speed unless the maxima becomes rwd. a 6 speed gear box means the bell housing would have to be enlarged... I am not sure if there's enough room for that. BTW 6 speed doesn't really always mean faster. If yuo gear it wrong, you lose any potential for gain the in the time required to shift.

I just hope nissan will actually beef up the tranny next time around.

-Shing

Originally posted by bert