General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima is not a good first car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 06:04 PM

What do you think of this $0.02? A maxima is too much car for new drivers. If I had $20 for every crash I read about here I could turbo.

I was reading yesterday about some 17 year old kid getting busted racing, and it got me thinking, most new drivers don't have the experience or savy to be handling this kinda power.

Remember those crash films from driver's ed, that s%$T is real, driving on streets is real, respect and driver smarter. Plus sinse insurance rates are partially determined by accident probability charts, we are all paying for it.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:15 PM

Oh stop. All testosterone challenged, new drivers do stupid things. Their screw-ups are just more spectacular with a quick car. No matter what kind of car you give an "old lady", she's going to drive it like an "old lady". By the same token, no matter what kind of car you put a jerk into, they're going to be jerk.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:20 PM

thats a good point, but amax ... i was talking to a kid who was either thinking of a 3rd gen max or an Eclipse AWD turbo ..or it was a DSM , or talon or something....
the point is, is that he might get the Turbo'd car because its cheaper and faster than the maxima.

I think it has to do more with the drivers. Some cars that are cheap can be even more cheaply made faster and more dangerous.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:26 PM

Your saying when you first started driving, you were a perfect driver.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:32 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Hmmm........

I think its more the drivers than the car! for example my boy got a '95 Eclipse GST for $8k last year, 210hp turbo and faster than stock Maxes according to specs(other than maybe the 5th gen)......in other words pretty damn quick, yet he has no tickets.....but then again there is my other boy who has a old a$$ Geo Storm slushbox and is on the verge of a 30 day suspension for speeding tickets........
Old 02-06-2001, 06:44 PM

I would have to agree -- to a point. The Maxima is my fist car and when I was buying it, my parents were hesitant to let me get it for this very reason. Hey, even the salesman said that maybe I should start off with something a little less powerfull like an Altima. Early on, I found that the car "got away" from me in first gear a few times, and god knows there are kids getting much faster cars than the Maxima.

What it comes down to is maturity, control, and responsiblity. If you can drive the car properly there is not problem. I fit into this category. Then there are others who should be condemmed to a Hyundai Accent until they learn the care it takes to drive on the road. Yes, you can drive like an idiot in any car, but power has alot to do with your attitude and demenor behind the wheel. Do you think anyone would race/play with a Maxima (hey, even a Civic Si!) on the road in a Accent? No...

Old 02-06-2001, 06:52 PM

Is this somehow related to me? LOL You still planning on boosting this summer? =)
Old 02-06-2001, 07:03 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

ive had my max since may and ive had no probs. before that, i was sharing the i30 with my mom. no accidents yet.. ::knock on wood:: like others say, it's not necessarily bad as a first car, but rather how maturely the driver uses it.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my 0.02

my first car and now my second car are both maximas. and i am a 17 year old kid. how many accidents? none. how many close calls? well thats a different story. but they are great first cars, good looking, great transportation for all your friends, quick, and plain fun to drive. like everyone else has been saying it doesn't matter what car you put a stupid driver in, they're still gonna drive stupid.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:06 PM

Re: my 0.02

Its not how many accidents someones been in that makes them a bad driver.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:13 PM

lol

Originally posted by Maximamike
Is this somehow related to me? LOL You still planning on boosting this summer? =)
you are in class all by yourself! maybe boost, but once I get started, prolly end up with a blueprint buildout *big $$$*. maybe just catback and ECU.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:16 PM

on the other hand

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Your saying when you first started driving, you were a perfect driver.
no I was a crash waiting to happen, and it did. respect the powah!
Old 02-06-2001, 07:27 PM

Re: lol

Originally posted by amax935
maybe boost, but once I get started, prolly end up with a blueprint buildout *big $$$*.
So, whats the big deal in that? LOL
Old 02-06-2001, 07:33 PM

I agree to the extent that the Maxima is not a good car for beginning drivers. In my opinion, a person's first car should be an underpowered, unreliable, piece of junk. Then, you will learn to appreciate the car for what it is...a form of transportation.

My first car was my family's 1983 VW Quantum wagon. Drove it in 1996-97 through the last years of high school. It had 74hp (1.7 I-4), weighed like 4000 lbs, leaked coolant, and had bad CV joints. But I loved that car. It got me through thick and thin, and I never felt deprived in any way when my peers were driving new Civics and Preludes. When I graduated, I bought my Maxima with my own money.

Old 02-06-2001, 07:52 PM

man thats nuts i paid my dues on some cars but not that bad ...

86' delta88 - car was a beast drove it till it literally stopped moving....

91' Mercury Sable Wagon - Currently at 150K miles still running like a champ .. only problem is Tranny thinkin torque converter.... oh well its my dads car .. might work on it this summer
Old 02-06-2001, 07:54 PM

You guys are all bitter

Maxima was my first car. I had it for couple of months. I know I don't have the experience, but I trust myself and so do my parents as well as others who are in my car when I drive. I think that is good enough.

I would like to take one of those courses that you can drive a HiPo car and learn how to control a car. It looks very neat.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:58 PM

I agree...

with Eric L. totally. My first car was a 1991 toyota previa (minivan), it was my dads catering car so it smelt like oil but it was a great car. I was always the driver between my friends. you have to appreciate it to deserve it. I think that the maxima would be a great first car except the the power issue. its a great, reliable car that has decent gas milage. Its also not too aggressive looking like a prelude, eclipse, stang or camaro. So, the chances of trying to be raced against wont be so high like other cars unless ur opponent knows what he/she is looking for. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2001, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
I agree to the extent that the Maxima is not a good car for beginning drivers. In my opinion, a person's first car should be an underpowered, unreliable, piece of junk. Then, you will learn to appreciate the car for what it is...a form of transportation.
As the mother of the 16 yr old son who just flipped my '93 5 hours after getting his official license....I've thought that many times over the last week. Until he sees that a vehicle is for getting him from point A to point B, and how very important that is to one's way of life, he will continue to test its limit every chance he gets. Its now my responsible as his "mommy" to see that he doesn't get too many chances. :-)

Just last night, he wanted to turn the 2001 Altima rental around in the driveway. INsurance does NOT cover him one RED CENT in this car..and he knows it. I agreed to this. When I walked outside..the car was NOWHERE to be seen. By the time, he pulled up slowly from being hidden in a parking lot catty corner from me, I was livid. My neighbors got an earful when he pulled up, rolled down his window and said "you looking for me????". Not only does he NOT realize the impact of him wrecking my car, he doesn't realize I DON'T have $20K+ to **** away if he were the wreck the rental. My fault for giving him the keys to turn it around but that was the last straw. I'm leaving for Atlant today and he and his sister are going to their Dad's tomorrow. He will not be coming back for awhile unless its a weekend visit. He doesn't drive at his dad, they have a camaro which his stepmother would literally kill him if he so much as touched the car, and his Dad has a Toyota manual 4x4 which is not easy for a beginner to drive. "When" will they get "it"? I asked him last night...20? 25? Graduated license goes into effect in TN in July, I'm all for it!
Old 02-08-2001, 05:37 AM

I would agree, let them get their first crash, everybody had one, out of the way. Then get a max.
Old 02-08-2001, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Stillnmax
thats a good point, but amax ... i was talking to a kid who was either thinking of a 3rd gen max or an Eclipse AWD turbo ..or it was a DSM , or talon or something....
the point is, is that he might get the Turbo'd car because its cheaper and faster than the maxima.

I think it has to do more with the drivers. Some cars that are cheap can be even more cheaply made faster and more dangerous.
LOL That's a great sig.