General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What mods do you regret buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

What mods do you regret buying

Over the past 5 years of ownership, I've learned a lot about my Maxima. I've installed all my mods and I've removed quite a few because I grew tired of them or didn't like the way they performed. So, here's my list:

1) HKS bolt-on muffler. Sounded damn nice until I added a y-pipe and resonated Courtesy B-pipe. Way too much drown and attention than a nice looking 4-door sedan needs. Sold after 1 year.

2) Courtesy B-pipe. Great build quality, but it's only really made to fit the 97-99s unless you use their restrictive OEM (97-99 piece) extension that goes between the cat and B-pipe. I made my own straight extension, but I constantly had the B-pipe banging parts of the car and causing leaks. It also hung too low. Gains seemed pretty good and my ETs dropped an average .1 and I gained 1 mph. Sold after 1.5 years.

3) Suspension Techniques springs 1.5" drop. Too harsh. Sold after 1 year.

4) Pacesetter STS. Reduced the throws nicely and was adjustable. I just couldn't get past the vibration of the shifter, the notchiness, and how far the shifter sat away from the seat. Sold after 1 year.

5) Intrax springs. Harsh and too low for the Maxima's suspension. They handled great and looked damn good, but the 4th gen suspension needs all the wheel travel it can get and these springs took away too much travel. Sold after 1.5 years and one set of blown GR2s in 6 months.

6) Stillen nonresonated B-pipe. I figured since I was running the stock 4th gen muffler, the nonresonated B-pipe would be much better than the Courtesy plus it fit like OEM. Nope. Biggest compliants here that the piping is thin and lots of noise comes thru. The nonresonated B-pipe also allows the VQ to emit a sound where you'd SWEAR to the Almighty that your muffler baffles have become loose. Well, they were't and I confirmed it by buying Mardigras 99 4th gen muffler and installing it. Same freaking sound came through!!!!!!! I read posts about people describing the same exact sounds with their exhausts and stock mufflers and they won't listen to me about my experience. Oh well. B-pipe sold in less than a year.

7) HKS intake (w/mid pipe...sometimes). I've used this thing on and off for the past 5 years. I experiment a ton with my intakes and I've learned that simply modifying the stock intake seems to perform more consistently than the HKS. I even dynoed with the HKS intake and then the Poorman's CAI (K&N panel, 2.5" vac hose tapped into the hole in the stock snorkel sent under the bumper). To my amazement, the power curves were exactly the same as were the peak numbers. The only difference was the HKS's power didn't fall off as quickly after the 5400rpm peak (3-4 fwhp). The HKS is currently sitting in my garage.

8) B&M shifter. What a HUGE disappoint. You'd think my dumbass would have learned the first time after having the Pacesetter. Turns out the B&M was a great looking shifter, but it was useless to me. Throws were so short (like the Pacesetter on the lowest setting) that I could barely tell if I was in gear. The notchiness was pretty bad and I didn't feel good slamming the gears. I had a 60% chance of nailing the 2-3 shift instead of a 95% chances like I have with the cut stock shifter. The B&M also made some nasty sounds as the cat heated up and made the shifter warm. The shifter sat 3.5" above the cat, but the shifter heatsoaked like an SOB in hot weather. Thank God I bought the shifter from Summit Racing because they took it back no questions asked. Removed within 6 hours of install.

You live and you learn I guess. My wallet sure felt it too

Dave
Old 08-07-2003, 06:10 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

The 5spd swap. Definatally wish I were still Automatic. The torquier acceleration is scary.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:13 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Rims, Tires, Stereo, Springs, Shocks, CAI, and ANYTHING that was either not needed or replaced by BOOST
Old 08-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oh man, I don't know where to start. I feel you on the Stillen B-pipe. I tried different mufflers and even adding a resonator it still sounded like crizzap. I live in north Florida and I bought a PR/CAI and it has rained damn near every freakin day this summer. My Eibachs handle well but ride a little too rough for me and don't drop the car enough. The biggest regret of all, the infamous Random Technology Catalytic Converter. That piece of shizzle fell apart after a year and costs way too much. I needed this thread I been feeling a need to vent about the ol Max.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can have my auto!!

Originally posted by Craig Mack
The 5spd swap. Definatally wish I were still Automatic. The torquier acceleration is scary.
I'll take that 5-speed tranny off your hands in a heartbeat!!!!

I regret 2 sets of heavy -a$$ rims, all the stuff that looks good but does nothing but add weight, Apexi N1 muffler, $1500 stereo system that was crushed 2 weeks later when a tree fell on my trunk, cheap E-Bay cone intake, Eibachs, Sprints, Tokicos, ......etc. etc.

At first I wanted my car to represent it's performance on the outside even when sitting still, now I like it more when they don't see it coming. Wish I had all the money I wasted on look good stuff.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:34 PM
SLOW

All the stereo stuff I wasted my money on since I was 17. I have only a CD player in there now.

Megan Racing exhaust. Too damn loud.

Cheap wheels. Buy the wheels you really want the first time around.

Cheap tires. All tires are not created equal.

MEVI/JWT ECU combo. Joking.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

your kidding, right?

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Old 08-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Handsome

I was a little hasty on buying my first set of wheels. The second set were larger, lighter, way better looking and the same amount.

My 2 homemade midpipes (about 20.00 ) The resonator is there for a reason, not only to decrease noise but also increase performance. Other than that I am happy with all my other mods.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Sports Button FTW

My first set of rims (18" Vault Jade V301 w/ Falken tires). This was before i knew of maxima.org. I paid 1950 for them. 2000 dollars for 18" chrome rims!!! do u know what i can do with 2,000 dollars?! that was more than half way to a turbo. That was lighter rims. You just make mistakes...looked good but i definitely regret

OBX pedals. They just dont stay on...maybe its the way i installed but i'm not happy with them and they are sitting in my glove compartment with missing screws...

underbody kit. I broke my entire kit cause my car is dropped so low. I really wanted a strobe kit but received a quote from a friend that he paid 500+ dollars for his not realizing he has like kazillion bulbs. I would have been happy with just 4 and the kit was only 50 dollars more than my underbody kit. I love the look of the kit but the way i had to take care of it was a PIA since i was dropped 2"
Old 08-07-2003, 07:19 PM
Ramius83

1. Stupid Generic "brushed aluminum" dash kit from eBay.
2. B&G Springs since they sag in the rear
3. JWT Stage II Clutch (blew out for some reason within a month).
4. Paying less for a front end paint job and it looking like @$$.
5. I am broke, so the whole car lol.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Confused
your kidding, right?

Old 08-07-2003, 07:35 PM

The only mod I regret is the Bomz CAI. I had the midpipe section installed. It caused the MAP/Baro Solenoid Valve code to come on. The Nissan technicians couldn't figure it out themselves so they re-routed the hoses to trick the ECU.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:54 PM

(1) Hanabi HIDs. Have had problems with them: mismatched bulbs, busted starter. Would definitely get a more established make. Plus the damn beam pattern!

(2) Pacesetter STS. Have the Stillen now and it is much better owing to the longer shifter rod.

(3) Altima 02 rims. I actually like the pseudo factory look but would rather have a much lighter set of Kosei rims... wider too, like 7.5".
Old 08-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Shiver me timbers.

The worst mod I ever did was Maxima.org. I used to be happy with my car, now I want to change everything. I have a wife and 2 kids, I don't have the money to keep up with you bastards.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:22 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Ramius83
Oh yes the $275 dash kit. First thing I ever bought for the max. Forgot about that.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:57 PM

Well, I'm sure most of you know my story. SC...rims...SC again...rims again...carbon fiber hood(fitment was crap)...97-99 trunk lid(too much of a hassle to get it). Those are just the major items. To be honest, I think I kind of regret ever modding at all. I could have save all the money that I spent and use it for something better. Maybe I should have just did a few cosmetic mods and leave everything else stock(like performance). Sometimes I want to just bang my head against the wall or get someone to give me a good hard slap in the face. WTF was I thinking? I'm glad that now I'm sure I finally realize it's not worth it.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Well, I'm sure most of you know my story. SC...rims...SC again...rims again...carbon fiber hood(fitment was crap)...97-99 trunk lid(too much of a hassle to get it). Those are just the major items. To be honest, I think I kind of regret ever modding at all. I could have save all the money that I spent and use it for something better. Maybe I should have just did a few cosmetic mods and leave everything else stock(like performance). Sometimes I want to just bang my head against the wall or get someone to give me a good hard slap in the face. WTF was I thinking? I'm glad that now I'm sure I finally realize it's not worth it.
Mike there isn't enough storage capacity on the site for you to tell your full story.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:25 PM

My VG, I wish I had let insurance take my car and kept searching for a VE five speed
Old 08-07-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

RANDOM TECHNOLOGY CAT!!!!!!! That thing sucks ****!!!! The sts shifter too. Throws are too far forward and it made the shifter buzzzz.

But everything else has been good:
Eibach/Tokicos
ST front bar / ADDCO rear bar
Mustang rims fit great. The 98 Cobra ones are perfect looking and have the perfect design for clearance.
JWT intake has been great. My CAI mid-pipe actually feels better than my stock accordian thing.
Y pipe has been decent but it keeps blowing flex sections.
2000 maxima muffler. My god I love that thing!
Ball joint connections for all exhaust connections. All exhausts should be connected this way.
JWT ecu. whaaaaaaaaaa! Best mod yet!
UDP whenever I get a chance to install the damn thing.
13" Cobra rotors/300z 4 piston calipers. I'll let you know
Old 08-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Just my heavy rims. It sucks to run mid 14's at the track and 15's on the street.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:23 PM

I am with meccanoble on the OBX peddles. I have an Auto and all that is on there now is the darn brake peddle, the gas peddle would not stay on for the life of me. My nitrous system is a yeas nad no sorta deal. Yes I enjoy the heck out of it, but when I get back it will go bye bye to be replaced by a nice lil hairdryer. As far as everthing else ive purchased, well I bought most of it while im here in the desert and havent been able to enjoy it yet. But im sure the Ceifero headlights and HID kit will be nice, the roof wing, well we will see. But the cross drilled brembros were a must. Just gonna hate it when I do my big brake upgrade. And now I know not to get either the pacesetter or the B&M short shifter, oh what to do what to do when i get that conversion
Old 08-08-2003, 01:07 AM

Well...I just cruise with mine so until this point, nothing. The damn muffler is too deep sometimes but I like it more then I hate it so I guess that doesnt count I cant really think of anything else.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:22 AM
ejj

MEVI
Old 08-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Tokico struts.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:26 AM

on my 97, i liked everything except trying to be a ricer and wasted money on cheap headlight bulbs that melted my wiring and also strobe kits.

well and also buying rsb/exhaust/cat conv/short shifter/ypipe in july of 2001, then 2 months later removing all my mods and selling them and putting my car up forsale.

then 1 yr after selling it, I go and buy another maxima and starting hte process all over again
Old 08-08-2003, 06:37 AM

Re: What mods do you regret buying

Originally posted by Dave B

6) Stillen nonresonated B-pipe. I figured since I was running the stock 4th gen muffler, the nonresonated B-pipe would be much better than the Courtesy plus it fit like OEM. Nope. Biggest compliants here that the piping is thin and lots of noise comes thru. The nonresonated B-pipe also allows the VQ to emit a sound where you'd SWEAR to the Almighty that your muffler baffles have become loose. Well, they were't and I confirmed it by buying Mardigras 99 4th gen muffler and installing it. Same freaking sound came through!!!!!!! I read posts about people describing the same exact sounds with their exhausts and stock mufflers and they won't listen to me about my experience. Oh well. B-pipe sold in less than a year.
Well this certainly caught my attention, because my HKS muffler made that loose baffle sound at 1800 rpm, 2600 rpm, 3400 rpm, 4200 rpm and so on.

But I had a resonator added to the B-pipe, and I still got the noise. When I got fed up with it and put the stock 4G muffler back on the noise went away.

So I don't know what to think. Unfortunately I threw the HKS away, otherwise I'd put it back on with the stock b-pipe and see what happened.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:48 AM
V^___^V

back before i knew about maxima.org and anythin about cars....

1. APC "superwhite" bulbs: they weren't superwhite at all.
2. APC cone filter: wtf? i thought i had an intake but i didn't.
3. a'pexi N1 muffler: it was way too loud for me, sold it to my civic friend who liked it very much
Old 08-08-2003, 06:50 AM
V^___^V

Originally posted by MaxPerformanceSE
The only mod I regret is the Bomz CAI. I had the midpipe section installed. It caused the MAP/Baro Solenoid Valve code to come on. The Nissan technicians couldn't figure it out themselves so they re-routed the hoses to trick the ECU.
never had any problem with BOMz CAI.

Originally posted by Ramius83
i thought those brushed aluminum dash kit looked okay, got them for $98.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:00 AM
I am Roid Rage

1) I regret buying my 18" Tantrums. They look good but every ricer has a knock-off version of them. Plus, they are way too heavy.

2) RVM UDP, need I say more?

3) Anything from Stillen.

4) I just got a really ill-fitting cat-back from Warpspeed. I wrote them this morning though so hopefully they'll straighten it out and it won't become a regret.

5) And last but not least. I kind of regret buying the Max in general. Great car, but I should have gotten a RSX-S like I wanted. I'm 25 with no kids, why do I drive a four-door mid-size car?
Old 08-08-2003, 07:11 AM

the maxima......big regret.......
Old 08-08-2003, 07:14 AM
KDLMax

Originally posted by Bluebird

why do I drive a four-door mid-size car? [/B]
The space for the ladies!

Old 08-08-2003, 07:37 AM
www.autotalk.com

So far nothing that I can call a waste. Since I spend so much time thinking of what to buy, everything has been perfect knock knock!
Old 08-08-2003, 07:42 AM
KDLMax

Originally posted by Max4Speed
So far nothing that I can call a waste. Since I spend so much time thinking of what to buy, everything has been perfect knock knock!

Old 08-08-2003, 08:07 AM

I must say most of the stuff I bought I am happy with. Surprised so many don't like the B&M, I have no problems with mine. (except heat from sunlight on the ****.) I do somewhat have some regrets though.

OBX Pedals
(they are nice, but the tab mounting sucks. Should have spent the coinage on the AE set-up)

Stillen Body Kit
(still sitting in my basement, deciding if I like the look and if I want to bastardize my car to get it to stay on.)
Old 08-08-2003, 08:11 AM
Blu
the tits

Some stupid clip on pedals, RVM UDP got a refund - shipping( I want too take a big **** on that company). Basically everything else I like but I wish I never started or I would have a killer downpayment on my home for next year.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:52 AM

Sorta kinda....Kinda Sorta (still debating).....7" microvision Screen. Good product, just may not be for me and my current life style. I haven't used the thing in about the last 3 weeks or so. It's just........there

The radio I had to get to run with the screen is a plus, but I don't really care much for sound system enhancements. The factory HU was just fine.

-capitone-
Old 08-08-2003, 10:27 AM

regret living in Canada... shipping & customs cost too much on mods

1. the price I paid for AGX shipped here... for another 50-60 I could have got illuminas
2. stillen intake, hated that thing, all noise no low end
3. starting the car w/ a GLE I'd be much happier with SE rims.
4. the polished metal pedals from south west auto... never liked them and they always get stuck w/ my shoes
Old 08-08-2003, 11:17 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

1. push button starter --never installed
2. test pipe from ebay
3. stupid MATRIX headlight bulbs that blew after a few days being in the car .. shiet im still ****ed about that . from ebay also
4. getting rid of my eibachs
Old 08-08-2003, 11:30 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by slammed95

Are you kidding? Tantrums are knockoffs. Everybody has them too, they're way played out.

Check out the Advans on Turbo95max's car, those are the real thing.
Thanks for talking down to me and making me regret that purchase even more
Old 08-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Shiver me timbers.

Yeah, why don't you just bang his mom while you're at it. I did, you won't regret it.

Quick Reply: What mods do you regret buying