General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Quiet exhaust question...Magnaflow..

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 08:53 PM

Quiet exhaust question...Magnaflow..

I've read through all the posts I could find on this muffler. I like the looks of a polished muffler but don't want much noise. I'm guessing that most of you who have bought it have the 5x8 street series which has a 14 inch body length.

Has anyone tried the universal 5x8 which you can get with an 18 inch body length? Would it be any quieter?
Also, would changing the stock resonator to an aftermarket bigger one help? Anyone done this?
Thanks
Josh
Old 08-09-2003, 09:10 PM
V^___^V

street series are more quiet than race series.

i have the street series, it looks nice outside and it's not too loud with a y-pipe for now. but it'll get louder when i get the straight pipe, and maybe even the b-pipe in the future.

and yes, the more ur exhaust is well-resonated, it will be more quiet. for example, and resonated budget b-pipe vs. a non-resonated budget b-pipe makes a different sound. but i donno about channgin the stock resonator though

good luck, if u have enough $$ i suggest get a complete catback system.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I get lots of compliments on mine...even too quiet for some tastes I recall...

but I have pics on my website if you like...it is the 14827 IIRC..
Old 08-10-2003, 09:36 PM

What are you talking about? My magnaflow is more then loud enough for me, its too damn deep to be honest. I have soundclips in my sig.

Click Here to find some magnaflows.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE
What are you talking about? My magnaflow is more then loud enough for me, its too damn deep to be honest. I have soundclips in my sig.

Click Here to find some magnaflows.

when crusing at like 40 mph when the tranny is in 4th (automatic) the sound would vibrate stuff in the car since it's so deep.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:49 PM

Your car looks good...

I like your new wheels alot better than your old ones...
My car is an automatic and in other posts people have complained about a drone at 2500rpm. I want the looks of the exhaust and don't mind it being a little louder than stock....but if it's got an anoying drone no thanks. I'm hoping the larger one will be quieter..I'll be talking to the guy at the shop I'm having it done at but I was hoping someone here had firsthand experience.

Originally posted by WizzaMax
I get lots of compliments on mine...even too quiet for some tastes I recall...

but I have pics on my website if you like...it is the 14827 IIRC..
Old 08-10-2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan

when crusing at like 40 mph when the tranny is in 4th (automatic) the sound would vibrate stuff in the car since it's so deep.
You know what im talking about, in the clips in my sig the one at part throttle is actually me slowly accelerating from 30-45 thats were it get REALLLY deep. Ive said it be4 and ill say it again, the magnaflow hits the low notes better then some subs do, not as loud but definetly loud enough.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by HitManSE

You know what im talking about, in the clips in my sig the one at part throttle is actually me slowly accelerating from 30-45 thats were it get REALLLY deep. Ive said it be4 and ill say it again, the magnaflow hits the low notes better then some subs do, not as loud but definetly loud enough.
My flowmaster 40-series used to do that (not on the max) and im glad im not stuck with that miserable sound. Imagine the exhuast and subs hitting that low frequency at the same time?! Very annoying...

Eric
Old 08-11-2003, 11:13 AM

i have the dual-tipped street series. it was louder when i had the stock flywheel. now that the fidanza is in there, the engine does not need to work as hard so the overall sound coming out the back is not as harsh. but the muffler is very, well, very deep. and i like that. it sets off car alarms constantly. and i like that. i have a y-pipe, b-pipe, resonator, hi-flow cat. the setup is definitely different than stock. it is not ricey-loud by any means. it is a nice, tasteful attention-getting feature. if you do not like louder interior environments, then tread with caution as that cannot be avoided with it. especially with a y-pipe, as that will make the car louder no matter what. if you want performance with quiet, get the y-pipe and a stock 5th gen muffler.