General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Opinions/Advice on using lowering springs (Progess springs) on stock shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 AM

Opinions/Advice on using lowering springs (Progess springs) on stock shocks.

Is it advicable to use lowering springs on stock shocks. I'm looking at Progess springs, since they are the most *compliant* while still offering a nice heigt and good handling improvement.

The car doesn't get driven too much since (around 10k km a year) so I dbout the shocks would blow. i will eventually buy the adjustable AGX shocks, but I don't mind settling for lowering springs for now, as they offer more gain than shocks alone.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:47 AM

;]

this is the same idea that i am going to follow. im just waiting to get everything in the shop[rims and tires]. the guy at the shop told me the drop would be more noticeable than h&r springs and that i would be able to drive around on stick shocks for about a year. i will however, probably replace them in less then that time if it is uncomfortable. i can tell you how it goes since most likely i iwll get it installed this week. just contact me through the options below in my information.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:26 PM

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! I was stupid and only replaced my springs and did not replace my shocks and I have the worse ride you could imagine. Seriously it is terrible. My car bounces like a lowrider with hydraulics on it. It doesn't even ride smooth on fairly smooth roads like highways. I hit my head on the sealing a lot when I hit any imperfections in the road, and my car sounds like its going to fall apart as well when I hit any sort of small bumps. Also one of my rims is bent after only 2 months and my tire was recked as well and I think this was because the shocks do nothing and did not absorb the pothole I hit. Honestly if you do this you will seriously regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:35 PM
V^___^V

Originally posted by DR0832
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! I was stupid and only replaced my springs and did not replace my shocks and I have the worse ride you could imagine. Seriously it is terrible. My car bounces like a lowrider with hydraulics on it. It doesn't even ride smooth on fairly smooth roads like highways. I hit my head on the sealing a lot when I hit any imperfections in the road, and my car sounds like its going to fall apart as well when I hit any sort of small bumps. Also one of my rims is bent after only 2 months and my tire was recked as well and I think this was because the shocks do nothing and did not absorb the pothole I hit. Honestly if you do this you will seriously regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tat's because u have GXE shocks.

anywayZ SE shocks can handle aftermarket anythin under 1.5" drop. they are stronger than GXE/GLE. it'll last for awhile. i talked/asked couple people who are runnin aftermarket springs + stock SE shocks. most of them with eibach, H&R, maxspeed didn't have too much problem.

but of course, eventually change it to AGX later if u can...
Old 08-13-2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by happyricefob

anywayZ SE shocks can handle aftermarket anythin under 1.5" drop. they are stronger than GXE/GLE. it'll last for awhile. i talked/asked couple people who are runnin aftermarket springs + stock SE shocks. most of them with eibach, H&R, maxspeed didn't have too much problem.

I have a GLE.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

how many miles on the car?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:04 PM
V^___^V

Originally posted by happyricefob

i was actually refering to DR0832, not u.

GLE and GXE shocks... same thing... bottom line is don't run aftermarket springs on stock shocks.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do NOT lower your car on stock shocks, especially if you have a GXE/GLE. I would still not consider SE OEM Tokikos an option. Don't be fooled, the shocks massively change the handling characteristic of the car. This "springs do more than shocks" attitude is retarded. You only believe that because you want to get the look of a lowered car. Read the FAQs people.