General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tint Removal....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:37 PM

Tint Removal....

Once I tint BLACK can i go BACK is the question. Can i remove the tints without damaging the windows for life????

Josh
Old 08-14-2003, 03:18 AM

yeah, tint can be removed but it's not easy. tint shops will even do it for you.........for a price.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DIYS the amonia in windex breaks down theglue/structure of the tints and you just scrape it off with a razor blade. Kind of a tedious process so it will take you some time!
Old 08-14-2003, 11:17 AM

Its not that bad, just hurts your arm after a while. You peel off the tint and then just scrub with goof off. Took me about 1 hour to get the front ones off.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Custom User Title...

how do people do the rear ones without ruining the defrost?
Old 08-15-2003, 04:04 PM

haha good question this is a good post for learning how to remove a ****ty job... by someone
Old 08-15-2003, 05:20 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by Jepht20
how do people do the rear ones without ruining the defrost?
http://www.tintdude.com/

My personal experience when I got my limo tint done was it was a pain. My old tint has been on the car for atleast 10 years from the previous owners. So it was baked on, faded with a purple tint to it with bubbles. Pretty ugly. So I had to get rid of it. I stripped all my windows myself with just a spray bottle of soapy water solution and NICE sharp razors blades. It was very easy. If the tint isn't that old, then you can probably pull it off by hand after you get it started with a blade.

As for my back window, I let a professional do it with a steamer. Since my tint was SO old, he had to take a razor blade to it. It wouldn't peel off. It damaged most of my defogger lines, but that's the price you pay when you live in 115 degree summer Vegas heat. That heat for over 10 years really baked that tint on. Well, now my car looks a BILLION times better with new 5% tint.

The average humidity in Vegas is about 6%. Not nearly enough to fog up windows. When I lived in NC for a year with my Maxima, I used my defogger a lot in the winter.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:14 PM

Aaron, you dont seem one bit upset that the guy screwed up your defogger lines, I'm assuming that you figured that no one would be able to do it i guess. I think when it comes down to it, i'd rather spend the 40 dollars and have a professional shop do it for me, I tried doing it for my friends 2 door saturn, the fronts werent to bad, but the rears, forget about it.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
Aaron, you dont seem one bit upset that the guy screwed up your defogger lines, I'm assuming that you figured that no one would be able to do it i guess. I think when it comes down to it, i'd rather spend the 40 dollars and have a professional shop do it for me, I tried doing it for my friends 2 door saturn, the fronts werent to bad, but the rears, forget about it.
Yeap, you're right. The rears... forget about it. WAY too hard. And since I didn't want to sacrifice my defogger lines, I'd atleast try and let a pro have a try at it. But I KNEW they were gone. I was 99.9% sure there was nothing saving them. Also, I'm not upset at all. Cause I faced reality about my 11 year old car a long time prior to the tint guy getting ahold of my car. He charged me $20 to do the rear window. Then, full limo tint all around baby. On a white car, you can't beat it. Check out the photo link in my sig. You'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:06 PM

your right, limo tint on white looks awesome. Cant wait till i get my g35, i ordered it white on black. I dont think i'm gonna get limo tint though, maybe 35%. How did you fix the defogger lines, just used a conductor pen and redrew them back in?
Old 08-17-2003, 11:33 AM

i did it myself on my previous car. i had 5%.. all i needed was a windex, razor blade, and paper towel. spray the windex and let it settle for few mins. then you use the razor blade to get it off. it'll be gooey stuff comming off..

good luck.. you can do it!` it's EAST@!
Old 08-17-2003, 05:19 PM
NWP Engineering.com

your right, limo tint on white looks awesome. Cant wait till i get my g35, i ordered it white on black. I dont think i'm gonna get limo tint though, maybe 35%. How did you fix the defogger lines, just used a conductor pen and redrew them back in?
I haven't fixed my defogger lines. I don't think I will ever be able to. If you look real close at my lines, you'll see that they are broken in some spots. I haven't tried my defogger yet since I got limo tint. Cause in Vegas, the usual is 5% humidity. I have no need to ever use them unless I move somewhere else.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:47 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Very tedious job. Take your time doing it.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:39 PM

Re: Tint Removal....

Originally posted by JoshNYC128
Once I tint BLACK can i go BACK is the question. Can i remove the tints without damaging the windows for life????

Josh
first get a black garbage bag that will cover the entire window, then spray the window with windex and the bag too, then cover the window completely with the windex covered bag and then let it sit in the sun for about an hour...then when you take the bag off the tint should stick on the bag...try that
Old 08-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Tint Removal....

Originally posted by maxima2k2

first get a black garbage bag that will cover the entire window, then spray the window with windex and the bag too, then cover the window completely with the windex covered bag and then let it sit in the sun for about an hour...then when you take the bag off the tint should stick on the bag...try that
how many times have u tried this method?

I removed the tint on my front doors today (fix it ticket). 30sec to pull the film off. Another hr using simple green and #0000 steel wool.

2nd door was quicker. 30sec to pull it off. Then, instead of simple green, used Stoner Window Cleaner (says it's tint safe) and #0000 steel wool. Took 30min. The Stoner Window Cleaner's insanely quick at disolving the glue.

I tried windex on another car and it didn't do jack. WD40 didn't help either.

Jae
Old 08-18-2003, 11:04 PM

OK, before I start my own thread and make more clutter I want to see if I can get an answer in this one since my question is also about tint.

I don't need to remove my tint but I need to know how to get a sticker off of my tint without harming it. Anybody know how to do this? I just moved back up to school for my junior year and while we were moving my stuff into my apt. my mom decided to put the parking sticker on the back window which is on my tint film. I was going to try to do something to put it on the outside instead. I'm afraid of messing up my tint by taking this off and I just got it done. Please help.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tint Removal....

Originally posted by ThurzNite

how many times have u tried this method?

I removed the tint on my front doors today (fix it ticket). 30sec to pull the film off. Another hr using simple green and #0000 steel wool.

2nd door was quicker. 30sec to pull it off. Then, instead of simple green, used Stoner Window Cleaner (says it's tint safe) and #0000 steel wool. Took 30min. The Stoner Window Cleaner's insanely quick at disolving the glue.

I tried windex on another car and it didn't do jack. WD40 didn't help either.

Jae
yes this method works, first you have to leave the bag with windex on the spot for a couple hrs in the sun, then just take the bag off and peel off slowly, the adhesive just comes off with it too. anyone familiar about the parking stickers you have to put on your window when you goto college? well those stickers are very hard to take off, and i used the bag method on that too, and the after it just peeled off like it was nothing...just try it and you'll see
Old 08-19-2003, 04:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tint Removal....

yes this method works, first you have to leave the bag with windex on the spot for a couple hrs in the sun, then just take the bag off and peel off slowly, the adhesive just comes off with it too. anyone familiar about the parking stickers you have to put on your window when you goto college? well those stickers are very hard to take off, and i used the bag method on that too, and the after it just peeled off like it was nothing...just try it and you'll see
OK, now what if the sticker is on the tint and you only want to remove the sticker?
Old 08-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cant wait till i get my g35, i ordered it white on black. I dont think i'm gonna get limo tint though, maybe 35%.
You ordered a g35? Please tell me you went for the coupe... if not, the sedan is still a sweet car, just not as nice looking.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tint Removal....

Originally posted by Sorgasm

OK, now what if the sticker is on the tint and you only want to remove the sticker?
i dont know i never had that happen to me before, sorry. why dont you just leave the sticker on?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tint Removal....

i dont know i never had that happen to me before, sorry. why dont you just leave the sticker on?
I can do that but I'm gonna have to take it off in a year anyway. I figure it might be easier to take it off now if possible and try to rig it on the outside of the window.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Maxima-2
DIYS the amonia in windex breaks down theglue/structure of the tints and you just scrape it off with a razor blade. Kind of a tedious process so it will take you some time!
Don't do the back window like this though if you have a window defogger.

Recommend way is to use a green scotch pad and baby powder mixed in warm water with a spray gun. Spray it on the back window, and scrap it off. It will come off but it will take some time. Or have a mister on the back window for a while inside the car, it will also loosen up the glue.