General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Drag Slicks @ the Track

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2001, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got a set of drag slicks when I bought my wheels, but I've never run them before. I really want to go to the track whether its for street tires, slicks, or both. I know that slicks are hard on the transmission, but I figure a few runs won't be too bad. So first of all:
Who has run slicks? What tire pressure did you run?
What tire pressure is reccomended for street tires (I'd rather not break stuff)
Any other concerns?
Thanks.
-hype
Old 02-08-2001, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
I got a set of drag slicks when I bought my wheels, but I've never run them before. I really want to go to the track whether its for street tires, slicks, or both. I know that slicks are hard on the transmission, but I figure a few runs won't be too bad. So first of all:
Any other concerns?
Thanks.
-hype
I can tell you that you do not need slicks, drag radials maybe. I asume that you run 235/40/18 555's ?? If your realy serious about going to the track save your $$ and get the drag radials from BF Goodrich(205/50/15) on some 15inch rims. Yes they are small but they work great.you are probabaly running 175ish to the wheels. The drags will hold that easy, Do not run the slicks you will probabaly run slower than with your 18s and your clutch will hate you. I have over 300 runs at the track and never used slicks..
Old 02-08-2001, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the reply 98Max. I guess I improperly use my terms when I say slicks because I mean radials My drag radials are on 16" SE wheels, and I usually call them slicks because they barely have enough tread on the sides to call them radials. They are Nitto NT555 Drag radials and I'm assuming they're in the neighborhood of 215/50/16 ( I could be wrong though they're in storage atm). BTW I dyno'ed at 164hp at the wheels, but that seemed a little lot to me at the time.
http://www.vanillaice.com/webmasters/hype/max/dyno1.jpg
Also what tire pressures do you run?
Thanks again.
-hype
Old 02-08-2001, 05:59 PM

Drag radials are good. I use 205/50/15 BFG's on stock rims. I leave my 225/50/16ZR Michelin Pilots on in back. Inflate your fronts to about 20-24 lbs. Inflate the backs to the highest working pressure your tire will tolerate, probably around 44 lbs. The lower pressure in front helps you hook up, and the higher pressure in back helps the rear tires roll more easily.

When you approach the starting line, do *not* drive through the water. Drive around it, and leave your tires dry. Do *not* attempt to do a burnout. This isn't good for the car, and will not do a thing to improve the traction of the drag radials. Spin your tires a little --one or two revolutions at most-- to knock the rocks and surface debris off of 'em.

Have fun, and drive safely.
Old 02-08-2001, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by bullseye
Drag radials are good. I use 205/50/15 BFG's on stock rims. I leave my 225/50/16ZR Michelin Pilots on in back. Inflate your fronts to about 20-24 lbs. Inflate the backs to the highest working pressure your tire will tolerate, probably around 44 lbs. The lower pressure in front helps you hook up, and the higher pressure in back helps the rear tires roll more easily.

When you approach the starting line, do *not* drive through the water. Drive around it, and leave your tires dry. Do *not* attempt to do a burnout. This isn't good for the car, and will not do a thing to improve the traction of the drag radials. Spin your tires a little --one or two revolutions at most-- to knock the rocks and surface debris off of 'em.

hm.....i have to disagree with you bulleye on few things, and here is "To get the most out of your drag radials, we recommend doing a mild burnout to properly heat the tires. The most important thing to remember is that the optimum operating temperature for the drag radial is 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The optimum inflation pressure varies per application. We recommend starting at 20 psi and then tuning it from there. Be sure to never drop below 15 psi, or exceed the maximum inflation pressure. "quote from http://www.nittotire.com.
Old 02-08-2001, 10:54 PM

Any other concerns?
Thanks.
-hype
don't tell me wic gave those to you... those were originally mine but i gave them to wic after drag wars cuz he let me borrow his rims to mount them on. they'll help if you do a mild burnout on them right before you run. only gave me an extra .3sec though.. if i remember, those drag radials are pretty worn down... probably only have a few runs left, becareful. it wouldn't be cool if you got a blow out going down the 1/4.
Old 02-08-2001, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by sx7r
Any other concerns?
Thanks.
-hype
don't tell me wic gave those to you... those were originally mine but i gave them to wic after drag wars cuz he let me borrow his rims to mount them on. they'll help if you do a mild burnout on them right before you run. only gave me an extra .3sec though.. if i remember, those drag radials are pretty worn down... probably only have a few runs left, becareful. it wouldn't be cool if you got a blow out going down the 1/4.
are they on your sig pic?? oh boy, thats a big burnout, heehee, i thought they said "heat it up to 100F" not "100C". lol
Old 02-10-2001, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by BrokenMotor

[img]http://www.nittotire.com/graphics/tires_nt555r.jpg

[/img]

hm.....i have to disagree with you bulleye on few things, and here is "To get the most out of your drag radials, we recommend doing a mild burnout to properly heat the tires. The most important thing to remember is that the optimum operating temperature for the drag radial is 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The optimum inflation pressure varies per application. We recommend starting at 20 psi and then tuning it from there. Be sure to never drop below 15 psi, or exceed the maximum inflation pressure. "quote from http://www.nittotire.com.
We don't disagree. It's a matter of defining terms. If one races in 80 degree ambient air temp, for example, the road surface is probably warmer to begin with: probably close to 100 degrees F. And so are the tires. In fact, since I drive my car to the track, my tires are pretty much pre-heated by the time I get there. As far as the need for a burnout on an 80 degree day, it doesn't take much to raise the temp of your tires to 100 degrees F. If one spins the tires enough to knock debris off of them, they've probably heated them to 100 degrees F. I wince to see guys drive street cars up to the line with a smokey burnout. It's just not necessary. But, hey! If a guy wants to throw smoke, more power to him.
Old 02-10-2001, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by BrokenMotor

[img]http://www.nittotire.com/graphics/tires_nt555r.jpg

[/img]

We don't disagree. It's a matter of defining terms. If one races in 80 degree ambient air temp, for example, the road surface is probably warmer to begin with: probably close to 100 degrees F. And so are the tires. In fact, since I drive my car to the track, my tires are pretty much pre-heated by the time I get there. As far as the need for a burnout on an 80 degree day, it doesn't take much to raise the temp of your tires to 100 degrees F. If one spins the tires enough to knock debris off of them, they've probably heated them to 100 degrees F. I wince to see guys drive street cars up to the line with a smokey burnout. It's just not necessary. But, hey! If a guy wants to throw smoke, more power to him.
Old 02-10-2001, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I went to the track last nite, but I didn't bring my drag radials because I didn't have time to get them out of storage. It was 20F outside, so I probably would have had to do a burnout I'll run slicks next time. Now that I have some track experience I have a better feel for the car when racing.
Thanks again.
-hype