General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How many of you are honestly planning a Cobra rotor upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

How many of you are honestly planning a Cobra rotor upgrade

If so I'm able to furnish the hub-centric rings to center the rotor on the hub. The rings were fabricated on a 3rd gen hub but I'm sure it will fit other gens. Without saying the rings will be sold as a set, so how does $47 a set sound, how about $42 or even $32 a set. All these prices include shipping. There's more to these prices but I'll wait untill Monday to explain. I have plenty of pics to show, but since most of our NE members are without electricity I'll wait until Monday (or after the power outage) to post pics and all related info.

FYI: I'm in South Florida (Palm Beach County) and if there's a 4th, 5th or 6th gen willing to stop by for a test fit on these rings I'll be more than willing to work out something.

I realize you guys may not know me from jack, but I'll leave that up to you. This is for real.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:08 PM
I'm needing a caw

Remember, there is NO standard ring that will work so custom was needed. Mike was very on the ball to have these made. Here is nealoc's thread for reference.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=221546

These center the ROTOR to the hub. Not the wheel. And remember you still have to deal with wheel clearance issues if you want to run the 300z calipers.

You CAN use the stock calipers and still get the benefits of a 13" rotor. But you still need a custom caliper bracket made to accomodate the larger rotor size. I believe Mike is in process of doing that also.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am wondering, what is the difference between using the machined hub-centric ring vs. using Jeffs copper pipe idea? Is it just a quality and strength thing?

Thanks
-Shawn
Old 08-16-2003, 07:55 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by MrGone I am wondering, what is the difference between using the machined hub-centric ring vs. using Jeffs copper pipe idea? Is it just a quality and strength thing?
Thanks -Shawn
None I can think of, just as long as they both center the rotor. Being DIY's as most of us are we tend to try any and all alternative before committing to buying someone else's mod especially if we can come up with something similiar. Well here it is, I've taken the guess work out of centering the rotor and I'm offering it to whom ever may be interested. When you see the ring it's a quality made product and bolts (or pushes on) on with no cutting or drilling as it should The prices I listed above are based on a group deal purchase. But if someone desires to have a set of rings now that also can happen for $62 to your door. To be honest I need to check with my machinist to make sure $62 is the correct price on a single purchase so don't quote me on that. But the prices I listed above ($47 $42 $32) are correct once all the info is given. When I initially went to my machinist I told/ask him about the tubing over the wheel studs and the ring idea. He choose to go the ring route, I guess he likes a challenge

Originally posted by Jeff92se You CAN use the stock calipers and still get the benefits of a 13" rotor. But you still need a custom caliper bracket made to accomodate the larger rotor size. I believe Mike is in process of doing that also.
Just want to clarify, I don't think a loaded stock Max caliper will fit over a Cobra rotor. It's not wide enough to accommodate the thickness of the Cobra rotor, even with a custom bracket. But maybe Jeff knows something I don't. The bracket Jeff is refering to that I'm in the process of creating is the bracket needed to mount the Z32 caliper onto our knuckle and over the Cobra rotor. Just making sure we're all on the same page

Something else just came to mind. For those who are using the Z32 caliper/rotors and had to get the rotors milled. Do you think if a custom bracket was made there wouldn't have been any need to mill the rotors? Also, the minor amount that was milled do you think it would be beneficial if the rotors were not milled? If there's a market for Z32 calipers and non-milled rotors that's something I can look into. So you're soon to have two options.
Option I Z32 caliper with Cobra rotors. You furnish the caliper and rotor and I'll offer the ring and bracket (bracket soon to come because that's the route I'm currently going)
Option II Z32 caliper and non-milled rotors. You furnish the caliper and rotor and I'll furnish the bracket. (that's if there's a benifit with going non-milled rotors)

So with that let's be honest with each other. Time and time over again we always see when someone has the hook-up on something and he post to find the interest. He may get all types of replies from "I'm down, cut my in, let me know, looks good, etc" but when push comes to shove the deal sometimes falls thru for what ever reason. Knowing that I honestly feel sometimes you should create your unique mod for yourself. But being the enthusiates I am I can't help but to offer this to others, even if not a single ring or bracket is sold because at the end I'll have mine and that's what matter to me. Just trying to help

Comments, questions, suggestion.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:48 AM
SLOW

For everyones info, using stock calipers and cobra rotors can be done but you have to grind the hell out of the stock calipers. You are looking at literally a few hours of simply grinding and test fitting and grinding some more.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by Nealoc187 For everyones info, using stock calipers and cobra rotors can be done but you have to grind the hell out of the stock calipers. You are looking at literally a few hours of simply grinding and test fitting and grinding some more.
What you don't know you/I don't know. I guess it could work but just the thought alone.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Jedi Knight

I'm definately interested in this ring, that will center the rotor...what is your ETA on the bracket for the zx caliper? I would also be interested in that. You're a good man
Old 08-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by nupe500 I'm definately interested in this ring, that will center the rotor...what is your ETA on the bracket for the zx caliper? I would also be interested in that. You're a good man
No ETA on the brackets, but it would be nice to do a group deal on both the rings and bracket. Please keep in mind when I do have the brackets made they will me made using a 3rd gen knuckle. Now I can only assume the 4th and 5th gen knuckles are the same size, but that's only an assupmtion. I'm hoping I can find a 4th and 5th gen member in my area who will be willing to do some test fitting.

On another note, I just came across some interesting info. As we know the Z32 calipers come in two different sizes, 26mm and 30mm (depending on year/model) Now I "believe" the Cobra rotors are 28mm thick. If so this will create a minor problem for those with 26mm Z32 calipers. I'm one of them with a 26mm Z32 caliper. A minor problem like this can be solved by turning 2mm off the Cobra rotors but I was hoping to create this mod as a true bolt on, so your avg DIY can order all his parts and complete the job without any machine work. Where my Cobra rotors happen to be I will not be able to get to them until Monday morning, at that time I can mic the rotor to see it's exact thickness.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:34 PM
SLOW

turning 2mm off a rotor is ALOT to turn off. that would take forever. I am sure you can use a 28mm cobra rotor in a 26mm Z caliper... as i am using a 28mm cobra rotor in a 22mm Maxima caliper
Old 08-16-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

I measured my calipers. The casting "slot" that the rotor would ride in measures out to about 34mm. With new pads in and the pistons all the way retracted, the dist to pad to pad was about 32mm. The Cobra rotor measured out to be about 28mm.

It would be MUCH better just to get the 30mm alumin calipers from the get go.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:46 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Neal I got a favor to ask

I need someone with a 4th gen to test fit these rings, and since you were the first (that I'm aware of) to roll with Cobra rotors will you be willing to try one ring if I mail it to you? Once you get it give me/us your honest opinion on fitment and quality. You wouldn't happen to know a local 5th gen owner would you? Kill two birds with one stone. If this is cool with you just drop me your mailing address and I'll get it out on Monday.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:37 PM
SLOW

Yeah I could test fit them. I do know a local guy from the org with a 5th gen (2002) that lives in my apartment complex I'll see if he wants to test them out too.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:26 AM

I'm down for a set.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:49 AM

Good work on the hardware Now if we can find a reliable source for Z32 calipers people might actually go for a "kit".

When I was at Courtesy yesterday I actually found out that R32 calipers are cheaper to buy from Nissan than Z32 calipers because there is no core charge for R32 calipers. R32s came out to ~650 or something while Z32s came out to ~900.
-hype
Old 08-17-2003, 05:25 PM

Well, this place seems to be rather reliable on getting Z32 calipers as far as I know: www.heavythrottle.com . That's where I got mine and it's where alot of my friends got there SR20DET stuff from.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:38 PM

I am in jupiter, just north of wpb if u would like someone closer to testfit......
Old 08-18-2003, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by CandiMan

Something else just came to mind. For those who are using the Z32 caliper/rotors and had to get the rotors milled. Do you think if a custom bracket was made there wouldn't have been any need to mill the rotors? Also, the minor amount that was milled do you think it would be beneficial if the rotors were not milled? If there's a market for Z32 calipers and non-milled rotors that's something I can look into.
Mike, The Z32 caliper only has to move 3mm (or so) out to fit the standard Z32 rotor, so there's really no way to fabricate a braket to fit. You could machine the actual mounting holes of the stock caliper mount, but that's about it.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by Lordrandall Mike, The Z32 caliper only has to move 3mm (or so) out to fit the standard Z32 rotor, so there's really no way to fabricate a braket to fit. You could machine the actual mounting holes of the stock caliper mount, but that's about it.
So no need to fab a bracket for non-milled Z32 rotors. Scrub that idea. Thanks for the info.

MIKE

EDIT
Cancel Option II
Old 08-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by Nealoc187 Yeah I could test fit them. I do know a local guy from the org with a 5th gen (2002) that lives in my apartment complex I'll see if he wants to test them out too.
I was able to mail a ring today, hopefully you will get it by the end of the week. Thanks

MIKE
Old 08-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by laserloser2 I am in jupiter, just north of wpb if u would like someone closer to testfit......
That would be cool, I'll take you up on that offer. I personally would like to see how it fits a 4th gen. I sent you a pm or email (I cant remember) explaining my schedule for this week. I also asked in the SE forum hoping there may be someone else incase your schedule doesn't work with mine.

MIKE
Old 08-28-2003, 01:21 AM

I dont' want to ***** up the other thread that you just made so I'm posting here.

With hub-centric rings for the Cobra rotors will they fit without having to mill down the rotors? Or is the only benefit to the hub-centric rings and cobra rotors is that these rotors are cheap and are 13"?

Also, what year Cobra rotors are they? And where to get them at?
Old 08-28-2003, 05:16 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nealoc187
For everyones info, using stock calipers and cobra rotors can be done but you have to grind the hell out of the stock calipers. You are looking at literally a few hours of simply grinding and test fitting and grinding some more.
Neal,

Are you grinding the outside of the caliper for wheel clearence, or the inside of the caliper to allow room for the rotors thickness?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:05 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by ejj

Neal,

Are you grinding the outside of the caliper for wheel clearence, or the inside of the caliper to allow room for the rotors thickness?
The inside of the stock caliper BRACKET is what needs to be ground down to get it wide enough for the rotor to be inside it. The actual caliper itself doesn't need to be touched.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:08 AM
ejj

The inside of the stock caliper BRACKET is what needs to be ground down to get it wide enough for the rotor to be inside it. The actual caliper itself doesn't need to be touched.
Where it bolts to the hub I assume?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:19 AM
SLOW

No, the middle of the caliper brakcet where the rotor is supposed to be free to turn is not wide enough. You have to hog out the caliper bracket to get the space large enough for a 28mm thick rotor to fit inside it. It's probably only wide enough for a 24mm rotor before you start grinding on it.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:24 AM
ejj

No, the middle of the caliper brakcet where the rotor is supposed to be free to turn is not wide enough. You have to hog out the caliper bracket to get the space large enough for a 28mm thick rotor to fit inside it. It's probably only wide enough for a 24mm rotor before you start grinding on it.
Ah, gottcha. Thanks.

So this grinding would have no effect on the stock brake caliper working with stock rotors.

What size wheel would you think is needed for Cobra rotors and stock calipers? Would they fit in 17's? Is offset an issue? I wouldn't think they'd stick out further than stock, correct?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:29 AM

Sorry for the dumb question, but is this abetter setup then the 300zx setup or is it just the 13" that everyone is trying to get?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:38 AM

so lemme see if i got this straight
Z setup is cool cuz it's got more clamping force
Cobra setup is cool cuz u got more surface are

So in this thread's setup, u get the best of both worlds, am I correct?

I'm outta the BBK arena till I get another set of rims. I called Stillen to get a template of their bbk...I don't clear by 1/4". Not good. 18x7.5 45mm sucks.

Jae
Old 08-28-2003, 10:39 AM
SLOW

Stock calipers with cobra rotors will require a 17" wheel without a doubt. I've got about 2mm of clearance with my old Koseis. Offset is no issue they only stick out about 8-10mm further than if you were using the stock mounting location. So unless your wheels have like a +55 offset or a really weird spoke you will be fine. With OEM calipers and 13" rotors I had about 15mm of clearance to the spokes of my Kosei K1s which are 7.5" and +45 offset. You are correct grinding on the caliper in this manner has nothing to do with the operation of the caliper and you can revert to stock rotors at will. I'm running stock rotors right now.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:43 AM
ejj

Stock calipers with cobra rotors will require a 17" wheel without a doubt. I've got about 2mm of clearance with my old Koseis. Offset is no issue they only stick out about 8-10mm further than if you were using the stock mounting location. So unless your wheels have like a +55 offset or a really weird spoke you will be fine. With OEM calipers and 13" rotors I had about 15mm of clearance to the spokes of my Kosei K1s which are 7.5" and +45 offset. You are correct grinding on the caliper in this manner has nothing to do with the operation of the caliper and you can revert to stock rotors at will. I'm running stock rotors right now.
Hmm...interesting...

Is the stock caliper/cobra rotor a huge improvement over the stock sized rotor?

If so, I may do this as a summer brake setup, and swap in stock rotors for the winter...
Old 08-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Jedi Knight

BINGO ejj...hit it on the HEAD, this option gives one the ability to swap, although thinking about it...I'll prolly stay with the cobra rotors, as stopping in the winter is just as if not more important than stopping in the summer

Ola
Old 08-28-2003, 11:09 AM
ejj

Originally posted by nupe500
BINGO ejj...hit it on the HEAD, this option gives one the ability to swap, although thinking about it...I'll prolly stay with the cobra rotors, as stopping in the winter is just as if not more important than stopping in the summer

Ola
Agreed, but my winter wheels wouldn't clear the brake setup...and I'm not going to drive around on 17's in the snow.

I've considered doing this with the Z32 brake upgrade, but wasn't in love with the idea of swapping calipers twice a year. However, if the stock caliper could be used, it would make the swap really easy.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Jedi Knight

I will be running stock mustang 17s so, I figure if they can run them year round...I might as well do the same, or at least give it a shot...ya know? Best thing about this upgrade is one can run the stock calipers until you find/buy the z32 calipers.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:05 PM

You are referring to your 17" Kosei K1's, correct? So I can assume that my 16" Kosei K1's will not fit with the 13" Cobra rotors?
Old 08-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Redlinemax Owner

yes is the stopping distance that significant?
Old 10-06-2003, 03:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

Note. I tried to fit my stock 3-gen caliper to the cobra rotor. Not good IMHO
1) The cobra rotor is alot thicker. No big deal
2) The mounting ears would have to be ground quite a bit.
3) There might be more grinding to do but I never got past 2).

If you go back to stock with your ground up stock calipers, I don't know if they would fit anymore. So for the 3-gen guys, I don't consider using the stock calipers with the cobra rotor an option.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

The mock up piece for the caliper brackets are at the fabricators today. Should be about a week for the 1st two. The 1st two are gonna cost a bit of change($60-$80) but he said he will make a template so future copies are easier(and hopefully cheaper) to make.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Jedi Knight

are they going to work for all Gens Jeff?

O
Old 10-09-2003, 06:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

It "should" is all I'm prepared to say. Just because I haven't personally tried it yet. Hell I gotta see if the 1st run fits my OWN car. hahaha.

Originally Posted by nupe500
are they going to work for all Gens Jeff?

O
Old 10-09-2003, 10:59 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Note. I tried to fit my stock 3-gen caliper to the cobra rotor. Not good IMHO
1) The cobra rotor is alot thicker. No big deal
2) The mounting ears would have to be ground quite a bit.
3) There might be more grinding to do but I never got past 2).

If you go back to stock with your ground up stock calipers, I don't know if they would fit anymore. So for the 3-gen guys, I don't consider using the stock calipers with the cobra rotor an option.
By mounting ears do you mean the portion of the caliper bracket where the bolts go through to bolt the bracket to the spindle? If so, I ground the **** out of those. I spent about 4 hours grinding, testfitting, and grinding again before I finally got them to fit and not rub. Now they fit fine. I am currently running stock rotors so I can run my slicks at the track this weekend. going from cobra rotor back to stock rotor takes about 15 minutes.

Teejnut-yes I was talking about my 17" koseis, but now I have 17" SSRs, there's no change in clearance really.

Quick Reply: How many of you are honestly planning a Cobra rotor upgrade