General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New lighting option!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2001, 07:23 PM

Introducing the new Catz Zeta00 lighting system. It uses HID like ballasts to regulate your battery voltage at 15.78 volts resulting in 170% more light output! You can use these with any stock wattage bulbs to boost the perfomance of your headlights. Note, however that this is not a harness upgrade, so overwattage bulbs are out of the question. The kit sells for $219 for 9004, and $249 for H4's. Go to http://www.fet-usa.com/shownews.asp for more information.
Old 02-09-2001, 12:57 PM

What do you guys think?
Old 02-09-2001, 03:46 PM
Custommaxima.com

hmm

hey thanks for the info, i am gonna look into it

Old 02-09-2001, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by NightRider
Introducing the new Catz Zeta00 lighting system. It uses HID like ballasts to regulate your battery voltage at 15.78 volts resulting in 170% more light output! You can use these with any stock wattage bulbs to boost the perfomance of your headlights. Note, however that this is not a harness upgrade, so overwattage bulbs are out of the question. The kit sells for $219 for 9004, and $249 for H4's. Go to http://www.fet-usa.com/shownews.asp for more information.
I've had this system in my car for qutie some time, I remember posting about it and no one seemed to care. Whatever, anyway the system is great. When did they develop the 9004 system? When Catz sent me mine I had to custom fit it to the light socket. I'm currently running that with some PIAA Platnum bulbs to hold me until I get the Catz Galaxy White bulbs for my Skyline lights. If you guys want more info email me. I can post pictures if you'd like to see what the system looks like, the transformers are really nice machined aluminum, they look sweet. Only one thing to add to your quote, they make the lights brighter but do not really give an HID look to the bulbs so don't expect that, but it is worth it. My high beams cover the road like a football field lit up at night
1995 GXE 1st Place NOPI Nationals 2000
Old 02-09-2001, 04:09 PM

coudl you post pictures up?
Old 02-10-2001, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Maxstilln
I've had this system in my car for qutie some time, I remember posting about it and no one seemed to care. Whatever, anyway the system is great. When did they develop the 9004 system? When Catz sent me mine I had to custom fit it to the light socket. I'm currently running that with some PIAA Platnum bulbs to hold me until I get the Catz Galaxy White bulbs for my Skyline lights. If you guys want more info email me. I can post pictures if you'd like to see what the system looks like, the transformers are really nice machined aluminum, they look sweet. Only one thing to add to your quote, they make the lights brighter but do not really give an HID look to the bulbs so don't expect that, but it is worth it. My high beams cover the road like a football field lit up at night
1995 GXE 1st Place NOPI Nationals 2000
Actually I just got the ATO fuse type connector. It doesn't even touch my headlamps! I love it.
Old 02-11-2001, 08:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't see how this could be done on stock bulbs without dramatically shortening the lives of the bulbs. If you run higher voltage through a 12v bulb, they're going to burn out a lot quicker. Conversely, if you run lower voltage, they last longer. (This is why it's smart to buy 130v light bulbs in your house -- they last up to 4 times longer on 115v circuits)

/aac
Old 02-11-2001, 08:31 AM

Is there a pic of these in action on a max, compared with stock?
Old 02-11-2001, 09:41 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by acitrano
I don't see how this could be done on stock bulbs without dramatically shortening the lives of the bulbs. If you run higher voltage through a 12v bulb, they're going to burn out a lot quicker. Conversely, if you run lower voltage, they last longer. (This is why it's smart to buy 130v light bulbs in your house -- they last up to 4 times longer on 115v circuits)

/aac
Yeah, this would be the down side of such a system. And it's intersting.. it costs a lot too. I think a better option would be to get upgraded harness... that right there would up the voltage slightly because the power is drawn directly from the battery...

If you will upgrade then to higher wattage bulbs.... this combo should only cost about $75.

-Shing
Old 02-11-2001, 01:56 PM

I'll see if I can get some pics as soon as I can borrow my uncle's camera. Shing, I have taken that into consideration. The voltage is not that high compared to the stock 14.4v or 12v, the main thing that it does is regulate the voltage so that It doesn't drop. That gives you the same light all the time, even when the car is off. The good thing is that you can mate it with stock bulbs, at $4.00 a piece and get the same light output as a much more expensive bulb.
Old 02-11-2001, 05:32 PM

Does anyone know if this can help the piaa plasma's. My plasma's just dont put out enough light. The money spent on the catz equipment could go towards philips hid. Someone let me know if it works, and how much of an improvement is actually noticed.
Old 02-11-2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by edadams
Does anyone know if this can help the piaa plasma's. My plasma's just dont put out enough light. The money spent on the catz equipment could go towards philips hid. Someone let me know if it works, and how much of an improvement is actually noticed.
The Plasmas are putting out plenty of juice, it's just that the human eye doesn't detect the blue spectrum as efficiently so that's why you can't see much at night with those bulbs. If you want to see at night, go with the Super Whites, not the Plasmas.
Old 02-14-2001, 03:55 PM

I did make my Platinum Superwhites much clearer and sharper than before. I can actually see a cut off point that was not noticable before.