General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

do you let full serve check your oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 05:58 PM

do you let full serve check your oil?

In Jersey everything is full serve--today the dude says "check oil please?" I said no. imho that is a thing of the past because cars are not supposed to be low on oil between changes.

After the fill-up I think the dude cursed me--I dunno if he was looking for a tip for cleaning the glass or what, very strange. But I don't speak his language so I don't know what he said. He just mimicked me by saying thank you after I said it and then he seemed to be cursing and angry. How bizarre that's the 2nd time that same dude did it. Dang that Jersey gas went up 14 cents since 2 weeks ago, unleaded here in PA is very close to the historical high again. The most I've ever seen regular is 1.679--not much by world standards but an arm and a leg compared to what we're accustomed to.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:07 PM

Not very many places in SF do full service (that I know of), but if I went to one, I don't think I'd let them check my oil. The closest thing to full service I've experienced is the gas station attendant pumping the gas for me.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

no checking oil at a gas station (well right after a ling drive) could lead to inaccurate levels. Suposedly after a few minutes it should be fine, but I check my oil when the car is cold.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:42 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Full Service, there isnt any full service stations in my area for at least 60 miles or more, if any .. man you got it good dont ya ! lol
Old 08-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Granny Driven

HELL NO! I dont even trust anyone who changes my oil, never mind a gas station guy.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:17 AM
VQ Wizard

I have been through Joisey a few times. The full service thing was culture shock to me. I don't even want a stranger to put gas in my car much less touch anything under my hood.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:53 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Agree. I change my own oil and I sure don't let some gas station guy check my oil.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:34 PM

I used to love driving through Jersey, the gas was cheaper than CT and they have a law against self service.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by gmc74
I used to love driving through Jersey, the gas was cheaper than CT and they have a law against self service.
Why is there a law against self service? Is it because the government doesn't trust people to pump their own gas? Makes a whole lot of sense. I can see the law makers saying, "we'll let everyone drive these 3000+ lb bullets, but they can't be trusted to put fluids in them. So we'll make it mandatory for people with questionable skills/education levels do it for them". Are there that many people dying from pumping their own gas? I'm curious about that because full service stations are very hard to find in Louisiana (where a lot of people probably don't have the mental skills to pump their own gas, but they drive anyways). I don't have anything against full service, just real curious as to why it's mandatory.
As to the original post, I'd let someone check if they wanted, but wouldn't let them add any. Reason is they would most likely get a false low reading after the car was driven because the oil hasn't made it back to the pan yet. And I'd double check that they put my dipstick back in place.
Just my thoughts. They could be wrong.

Dave
Old 08-19-2003, 02:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In Oregon they dont allow you to pump your own gas, I still try though, mainly because I forget that they have that law.

I believe its to help employeement more or less than not trusting people to pump their own gas.

touch under the hood, hell no. I have a hard enough time letting them touch my gas door and making sure they dont drip gas on the paint.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In Houston I haven't seen a full serve station for years. But, NO, would not let any filling station person check anything under the hood. Chance of dripping oil on engine cover, paint, etc., not a chance.

Mike
Old 08-19-2003, 04:40 PM
† ErV †

i don't let anyone open the hood, let alone touch anything under it.

Old 08-19-2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

Why is there a law against self service? Is it because the government doesn't trust people to pump their own gas? Makes a whole lot of sense. I can see the law makers saying, "we'll let everyone drive these 3000+ lb bullets, but they can't be trusted to put fluids in them. So we'll make it mandatory for people with questionable skills/education levels do it for them".
Dave
Actually they do it because it helps the economy and provides THOUSANDS of jobs across the state
Old 08-20-2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRider

Actually they do it because it helps the economy and provides THOUSANDS of jobs across the state
IMHO, that is a poor way to help the economy (if it worked, why isn't it more widespread throughout the country?). What it effectively does is increase the cost of the product (gas) to all consumers so the stations can recoup the cost of the "extra" employees. The one full service station I know of in my area charges over $0.25/gallon more for the service (but they do clean the windshield. Nice touch). Don't get me wrong, I'm not against full service. But, it is my car the gas is going in, therefore it should be my choice of who puts it in. This gets back to people of questionable skill/education level performing a service for me that I am 1) fully capable of doing myself, and 2) paying for (the general consensus in this thread is that the attendants wouldn't be trusted to check people's oil, so shouldn't the same apply to actually putting stuff in the gas tank?). Sounds like government ascerting its authority just because the people allow it.
Like I said in my previous post, I'd let an attendant check my oil, but not add any. I would also be supervising this so I can see the reading and come to my own conclusion about my oil level (and also to make sure he's not wiping my dipstick with the dirty rag he just picked up off the ground).

Dave
Old 08-20-2003, 01:13 PM

Re: do you let full serve check your oil?

I spent one summer in high school working at a Mobil gas station. We were instructed to always pop the hood and check the oil and also check the air filter. That way you increase oil and air filter sales. You show the driver the black oil on the dipstick or the filthy air filter and make them feel guilty about mistreating their poor beast of burden. That was back in the day when car hoods were all openable from the outside. That was also back in the day when there was no self-service and we sold gas for $0.22 a gallon. I suddenly feel old. Where's my cane?
Old 08-20-2003, 04:56 PM
I'm so hood

Are they like, paranoid about freak static electricity fires or something? sheesh

yeah, I wouldn't want them checking things, and like someone else said, you're likely to get a misread if the engine is just shut off - and nobody wants to wait at the gas station for 5-10 minutes.