General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hear ye hear ye, all those who desire hub-centric rings for Cobra rotors (pics/info)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 03:33 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Hear ye hear ye, all those who desire hub-centric rings for Cobra rotors (pics/info)

As I have posted before I have a machinist who can fab the rings to center the Cobra rotors onto our hubs. For the time being only the rings will be available from myself. The bracket needed to mount the Z32 calipers will soon be available. How soon, I'm not exactly sure it depends on his and my schedules. Again my machinist is willing to do a group deal and all the prices includes shiping to your door. For those who will be paying with PayPal there will be a minimum charge added because it takes money to transfer money and I'm NOT paying for the transfer fee. Keep in mind with these prices I am not making one red cent out of the deal, all funds will be given to the machinist with myself being the middleman between you guys and him. With that said I hope I will explain everything about this deal.

Payment
For this deal I will except PayPal, money orders and personal checks. For those who will mail in a payment I will send you my mailing address. Now gentlemen, I consider myself a private family man. If I send you my mailing address I expect to get a payment in the mail. I understand money situation changes, so if this sounds rude I apologize but I'm sure you can understand what I'm trying to say. So plan accordingly.

Cost
2 sets of rings will be $47 to your door
5 sets of rings will be $42 to your door
10 or more rings will be $32 to your door
For our Canadian and overseas members please contact me and I'm sure we can work something out.

Fees
For those who will be paying with PayPal please add $1 to the prices above, again for our Canadian and overseas member please contact me before hand so we can work out something.

PayPal account mikey_rl@yahoo.com
PLEASE DO NOT, PLEASE DO NOT send any money into my account at this time. As more come on this deal the price can/will change and if you PayPal me any money and the price change I WILL NOT PayPal you back the difference. I guess with that I will make a tiny profit out of this deal after all

With today being 8/26 and next Monday being a holiday I will wait until Fri 9/5 before closing this offer. I feel this will give anyone who's truly interested plenty of time to come on aboard.

At this time I'm ONLY looking for names of those who are REALLY interested and how many sets of rings you're interested in. One member may want 1-2 sets, that's fine the more the merrier. Since 10 or more is a best deal, once I get 10 verbal orders I will close the deal and give those in that deal the option if they want to extend the deal or not for more to come along onto the first set of orders. To be honest with you I really don't expect to reach that 10 or more orders due to past history on this board. If 10 or more is not met, 9/5 will be the closing date.

I can't think of anything else to post, so if you have questions please ask. With that said here are the pics

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=358672&page=6

And yes it's ok if you want to look at the other pages becasue don't we always
Old 08-26-2003, 03:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

Me, me, me!

Also here is the original thread with additional information on what Mike is talking about.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=241423
Old 08-27-2003, 01:18 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

2 sets for me...thanks
Old 08-27-2003, 06:01 AM
Jedi Knight

1 set for me mike...thanx

oE
Old 08-27-2003, 06:53 AM

Put me down for a set.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Redlinemax Owner

is it that the cobra rotors are cheaper or soomething? why are people trying to do cobra rotors instead of the 300zx?
Old 08-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Redmax
is it that the cobra rotors are cheaper or soomething? why are people trying to do cobra rotors instead of the 300zx?
I think cause they are 13" rotors
Old 08-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by Redmax is it that the cobra rotors are cheaper or soomething? why are people trying to do cobra rotors instead of the 300zx?
Forget what the ladies have been telling you, size does matter The Z32 rotor are 11.?" dia. the Cobra's are 13" dia.

EDIT
Speaking of cost, these rotors were $40 (after tax) a piece at my local parts house. You do the math of what it would cost to have a 4 piston Z32 caliper, 13" rotors, rings and caliper bracket. If that isn't a deal I don't know what is.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:02 AM
SLOW

For what it's worth guys, Mike sent me a ring to test fit and it worked perfectly. It's a TON easier than making little rings of steel or copper and cutting them down to size and banging them into the rotor holes and all that crap. These rings are just what the doctor ordered.

I'm in for a set Mike.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:31 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I would very much like a set
Old 08-27-2003, 11:40 AM
STFU n00b!

Mike, you wanna get me offset dimensions on that rotor? I may be in for a set too.
what about hub dimensions? I wonder if my current rotor hats would fit these.. I know they're larger than the hubs a bit, but how much I'm not sure on.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so now that the rings are made...what's left? caliper mounting bracket?
Jae
Old 08-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by Matt93SE Mike, you wanna get me offset dimensions on that rotor? I may be in for a set too.
what about hub dimensions? I wonder if my current rotor hats would fit these.. I know they're larger than the hubs a bit, but how much I'm not sure on.
Matt I wouldn't even know where to begin to get the rotor offset dimensions. Unless they are stamped on the rotor somewhere

Originally posted by ThurzNite so now that the rings are made...what's left? caliper mounting bracket? Jae
Yes exactly, brackets soon to come. (for Z32 calipers)
Old 08-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally posted by CandiMan

Speaking of cost, these rotors were $40 (after tax) a piece at my local parts house. You do the math of what it would cost to have a 4 piston Z32 caliper, 13" rotors, rings and caliper bracket. If that isn't a deal I don't know what is.
Ok but now if you get crossdrilled and slotted rotors the cost would be somwhere around 200 for the set?
50. for the rings
300 for the calipers
and 100 for the brake lines

which comes to about 650. cant we get the wilwood set for about 700?

Coreect me cuz im probably wrong.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:26 PM

2 questions:

1) What yr Cobra rotors (or any other needed specification)?

2) What Z32 calipers do we need? Just from a quick google search I see there's differences between model years and trim levels.

Also anyone know a cheap place to order/get these?
Old 08-28-2003, 05:44 PM

I went to Kragen just now to ask about 1996 300zx calipers. They're $70 each w/core. Didn't say anything about diff size calipers. Hmm...
Jae
Old 08-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here are two good sites for info on the differences between the various 1990-1996 300ZX calipers. I know it has more info than what is needed, since it talks a lot about 240SX brake swaps. But the info is relevant for the front calipers.
http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm
http://www.zilvia.net/installs/zbrakes/300zx.asp

Mike
Old 08-28-2003, 08:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dangit, this is Jeff (Shadow) Keep forgetting that this is Jason's accoutn signed onto my computer.

Calipers aren't 300. Should be under $200, for what it's worth, I paid $100 for my TT calipers way back in the day. I was the 2nd or 3rd person to do the conversion like over 3 years ago. So the calipers are probably higher now.

and the Wilwoods are $800? And that's witha GB, and they still aren't 13". i think they're 12.5 or 12.2, not sure.

Originally posted by Redmax

Ok but now if you get crossdrilled and slotted rotors the cost would be somwhere around 200 for the set?
50. for the rings
300 for the calipers
and 100 for the brake lines

which comes to about 650. cant we get the wilwood set for about 700?

Coreect me cuz im probably wrong.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:48 PM
STFU n00b!

Or you can build the brake kit yourself for way cheaper than that.
Wilwood superlite calipers = $120-160 each.
Pads $45-60/set
rotors $ depends on what you get. $50 each for cheapo, $450 for 2-piece Coleman rotors.
brackets: make yourself out of scrap metal. $15 for a shop to cut them.
stainless lines: $30. put together from a race shop's stuff off the shelf.
I took my goodridge stainless lines and bought some compression-fit ends from the race shop and put it all together.

you can do it cheaply for around $500. you can use badass 2-piece rotors for around $8-900. easier to buy the Fastbrakes kit in that case and have everything ready to bolt on.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Sports Button FTW

so can someone please get an accurate price on how much this whole setup would cost?

also i heard and found out that some big brake kits make noise when making car stop. You guys see this happening with this setup? any flaws with this setup?
Old 08-28-2003, 09:27 PM

noise shouldn't be an issue. You're getting huge stopping power. Why would comfort matter? it's like, I wanna lower my car but don't want a stiff ride.

Matt93SE, King of Kustom. Can you tell me the thread/pitch needed for the brake line ends?

Jae
Old 08-29-2003, 03:36 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by Redmax Ok but now if you get crossdrilled and slotted rotors the cost would be somwhere around 200 for the set? 50 for the rings 300 for the calipers and 100 for the brake lines which comes to about 650. cant we get the wilwood set for about 700? Coreect me cuz im probably wrong.
1)I understand your point of view
2)I'm only trying to offer the DIY an cheaper option when it comes to big brakes. I'm not trying to compete with Wilwood, FastBrakes, Stillen, etc. All those kits I'm sure has proven thenselves over the many years.
3)I've had cross drill slotted OEM rotors on my car for the past 5+yrs and I will NEVER put cross drill on a street car again. IMO they are over rated and noisey for street use and I'm not the type to hit the tracks. When I say noisey I mean they sound like a wind mill when slowing down, but they have worked and will continue to work for many others
4)You can get used Z32 calipers for under $100. I got mine for $80 at a local bone yard.

Originally posted by James92SE 2 questions:
1) What yr Cobra rotors (or any other needed specification)?
2) What Z32 calipers do we need? Just from a quick google search I see there's differences between model years and trim levels.
Also anyone know a cheap place to order/get these?
1)I ordered mine from a 96 Cobra
2)All Z32 calipers mounting points are the same. The year and model may dictate the size (26 or 30mm) and the material used (aluminum or iron)
3)The calipers you can probably get online (or bone yard) and the rotor at your parts house

Originally posted by meccanoble so can someone please get an accurate price on how much this whole setup would cost?
Which setup are you refering to?
Old 09-03-2003, 06:18 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Good morning ladies and gents

Like most of you I was surprised and pleased the .Org came back sooner than expected. From reading this thread we can see I have seven (7) verbal oders, and you know where that puts us on the group deal price. No surprise there. My initial deadline for this deal was Sept 5th but due to the slight down time of the .Org I will extend the "verbal" deal until Monday Sept 8th so not to delay those who really want these rings.

We all know verbal orders don't mean anything until payment is confirmed. I will be keeping in touch with all those in on the verbal order. Let's say we only have seven verbal orders, as payment start being confirmed I will update the list accordingly. So not to put anyone on the spot I will post 2 confirmed, 5 confirmed, 7 confirmed, get it?

So ladies and gents lets spread the word in hopes of getting those three remaining order so we can get these rings at the lowest possible orders. No exceptions.

Again Sept 8th (11:59pm EST) will be the dealine for "verbal" orders because that will dictate where we are on the groud deal and the price we will pay. No payments at this time, that will come soon enough.

TTT
Old 09-05-2003, 07:27 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

No need to delay the inevitable

Ok so it doesn't appears to be a need to extend the deadline, so not to delay this process any further this offer has now ended. With the 7 verbal orders that puts us at $42 per set delivered to your door, with a $1 fee for those who will be using PayPal. I have sent a PM to all those who placed a verbal order just to make sure you're still interested and the method of payment you will be using.

At this point you can send a payment into my PayPal account, please include your .Org screen name, your legal name and mailing address.

Paypal account = mikey_rl@yahoo.com

For those who want to mail in a payment, I will PM you my mailing address once you reply to my PM telling me your payment method.

Now if I remember correctly from my other thread there were a couple members who had shown interest in the rings (Shadow, and someone else I spoke with thru emails maybe named Dave) I assume no one else besides those on this thread is interested, correct?

This was fun

MIKE
Old 09-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Jedi Knight

Mike,

make that 2 payments...just paypaled mine. thanks,

oE
Old 09-05-2003, 10:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

BTW. Mike if you want to send me the sample, I'd be happy to test fit one on the Z32 etc
Old 09-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by nupe500
Mike, make that 2 payments...just paypaled mine. thanks, oE
Noted and re-edit, thanks

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
BTW. Mike if you want to send me the sample, I'd be happy to test fit one on the Z32 etc
I have no problem with that, as soon as I get the one test ring from Neal I'll mail it to you.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Just an update

Well gentlemen I would like to thank you all, this was an un-eventfull event, everything seemed to have went perfect.

Here's the latest update. Out of the six members who placed a verbal order four members have confirmed payments, one member he made a payment but I have to wait a couple days for his payment to clear (I see no reason why it shouldn't) and the final payment hasn't made it in yet but I've been keeping in-touch with that member to make sure he's still interested in which he is.

EDIT
And before you ask, if all payments are in by this Friday 9/12 I'll place the order that same day and hopefully by the following Fri 9/19 I'll mail them off, but of course that's tentative

Thanks, MIKE
Old 09-08-2003, 09:19 PM
dmontzsta

Put me down for a set Mike.

I guess I am getting RIPPED OFF for my calipers. A freshly rebuilt set, painted with caliper paint satin black with NISSAN polished silver for $300 shipped.

Is this a good deal?

I checked local bone yards and they all wanted $100-$120 a piece.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
Put me down for a set Mike. I guess I am getting RIPPED OFF for my calipers. A freshly rebuilt set, painted with caliper paint satin black with NISSAN polished silver for $300 shipped.
Is this a good deal? I checked local bone yards and they all wanted $100-$120 a piece.
PayPal account = mikey_rl@yahoo.com

Money talks, and you know the rest

Officially I did close the deal at $43 a set to avoid any complications with the price of these rings. Before your order there was seven sets ordered, now with your possible order that puts us at eight and one of the original member who place a verbal order was thinking of ordering one more set. So if he orders one more and your order that puts us at nine orders, just one shy of that 10 or more in order to get the lowest price. Now lets say we some how reach that 10 or more I'll just have to refund each one the difference. So with that I'm going to say PayPal me $43 and hope we reach that 10 or more and I'll refund you the difference. Hope I didn't loose you or anyone else in my explanation.

And to answer your question I'm not sure if your $300 shipped is a good price for "that" caliper, but your bone yard prices seem to be about correct if you meant to say $100-$120 a pair instead of a piece. I would suggest looking on-line for used calipers but by the time you pay for shipping you might be at the bone yard price. Choose wisely

MIKE
Old 09-08-2003, 10:59 PM

just for kicks, my mustang friend said www.mustangparts.com is a good place to shop.
Jae
Old 09-09-2003, 07:55 AM
SLOW

I paid $360 for a freshly rebuilt set of 30mm aluminum calipers because there was a core charge which i couldn't recoup since I had no calipers to give them. The core charge was like $75 a piece. Then I paid $80 for a set of pads. And now the whole thing sits in my garage unused. anyone want them :P
Old 09-09-2003, 09:37 AM
dmontzsta

Mike I hate to hold the process up, but I just thought of something. I am going to measure the inner diameter of my wheel, to make sure they will even fit. Do you know how big the stock Maxima rotor is? I can maybe just add the extra " to it to make it 13.

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
Mike I hate to hold the process up, but I just thought of something. I am going to measure the inner diameter of my wheel, to make sure they will even fit. Do you know how big the stock Maxima rotor is? I can maybe just add the extra " to it to make it 13.

Thanks.
well the problem isnt the rotor diameter its the caliper. a stock maxima caliper actually sticks out further (larger radius) than does the 300z caliper. my stock calipers cleared my koseis by only about 5mm. my 300z calipers cleared by at least 10mm, probably 12.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:35 AM
dmontzsta

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
well the problem isnt the rotor diameter its the caliper. a stock maxima caliper actually sticks out further (larger radius) than does the 300z caliper. my stock calipers cleared my koseis by only about 5mm. my 300z calipers cleared by at least 10mm, probably 12.
Yeah, I am pretty sure my wheels will clear, that is the reason I got them 17x8 with 35 offset 5Zigen Typhoons, everyone said they clear and alot of the 240 guys run them. I wanted to clear without spacers.

Here is a pic.

My only concern now is the actual 13" rotor wont touch the wheels when it is all together.

What do you think? Should I just measure the inner diameter of the wheel?

Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I paid $360 for a freshly rebuilt set of 30mm aluminum calipers because there was a core charge which i couldn't recoup since I had no calipers to give them. The core charge was like $75 a piece. Then I paid $80 for a set of pads. And now the whole thing sits in my garage unused. anyone want them :P
How much?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Donald it comes down to this. I have no idea which wheel will clear, which off-set will clear, which spoke design will clear, heck I don't even know if my current wheels will clear.

I've been rolling with my stock wheels for over a year and I'm putting all this time/energy into fabricating Cobra rotors and Z32 calipers onto my car without knowing for sure my wheels will clear. My wheels are in my garage without any tires, and you know what I'm not going to test fit these wheels until the fabrication is all done and I'm ready to roll out the garage with my new big brakes. At that point I will know if they will clear or not, call me stupid but that's the way I'm going to do it. The money I've invested so far I can't loose

If they dont clear I guess I'll just sell all the Cobra stuff or buy wheels that will clear
Old 09-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i'm in for a set....paypal will be on its way shortly

edit: should i send 42?
Old 09-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by Chris91SE
i'm in for a set....paypal will be on its way shortly
edit: should i send 42?
PayPal amount is $43
Money order or checks are $42

So there seems to be a strong possibility that we might make that 10 or more order to get these at the lowest possible price which is $32 to your door with a $1 fee for using PayPal. I'm starting to sound like a record Anyway if for some reason we reach that 10 or more I'll refund everyone $10 for each set they ordered. Understood, cool.

For the record at 8:20pm EST I have 7 confirmed orders with one waiting to be cleared with PayPal which will make 8. So if Chris comes aboard that will be 9 and if Donald or anyone else comes aboard that will be 10 the magic number.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM
dmontzsta

Originally Posted by CandiMan
PayPal amount is $43
Money order or checks are $42

So there seems to be a strong possibility that we might make that 10 or more order to get these at the lowest possible price which is $32 to your door with a $1 fee for using PayPal. I'm starting to sound like a record Anyway if for some reason we reach that 10 or more I'll refund everyone $10 for each set they ordered. Understood, cool.

For the record at 8:20pm EST I have 7 confirmed orders with one waiting to be cleared with PayPal which will make 8. So if Chris comes aboard that will be 9 and if Donald or anyone else comes aboard that will be 10 the magic number.
If I am the deciding 10 and we get them for $32 I will paypal you right now sir, even if they dont work it is only $32 and I can sell them to a 240 guy or someone else.

Quick Reply: Hear ye hear ye, all those who desire hub-centric rings for Cobra rotors (pics/info)