General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:07 PM

Need Help!!!!!

does anyone know what PAD RETAINING CLIP or ANTI RATTLE CLIP do on the disk breaks? i just got my shock and strut installed and i noticed little clip they took off when they uninstalled the disk break was left on the ground after they put everyting back together and the pad retaining clip or anti rattle clip was all bent up so they didn't put it back saying it's not that important.....

Does anyone know what harm it can cause or what might happen to the break?
Old 09-03-2003, 10:36 PM
Fat Kid

I am not sure about the Nissans, as I haven't done brakes on them yet, but I imagine all that it does is keep the pads pushed away from the rotor while not braking. I am not sure if it will cause any major problems other than it might make a squeaking or rubbing noise while driving.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:26 AM

The clip fits on the back of the pads, to keep noise down. You probably won't notice it and it won't affect braking any. But if it chatters, you'll need to put it back on. I'm suprised they took off the brakes for the install.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Iron Lung
The clip fits on the back of the pads, to keep noise down. You probably won't notice it and it won't affect braking any. But if it chatters, you'll need to put it back on. I'm suprised they took off the brakes for the install.
so as long as it is not making any noise or what not... i should be okay?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:03 PM

Some new pads don't even have holes in them to mount the anti-rattle clip. Brakes will work fine without it. Could possibly increase noise, but I doubt you'll notice. Mine ran awhile (stock pads) without them and I had no problems/noises. AutoZone sells a kit with new clips and pad guides that I used to replace mine. Cost about $12.00. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start hearing undesirable noises.

Dave
Old 09-05-2003, 05:26 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Make sure that the clip they ruined wasnt the clip that holds the brake line to the strut body. That clip is important. Plus, they shouldnt destroy and discard any parts of your car.