General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

brake caliper overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 12:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

brake caliper overhaul

I'd like to overhaul my calipers. I've read the chiltons and want more info before I begin.
Or is it a better idea to just get a rebuilt caliper and exchange the core?
Jae
Old 09-05-2003, 12:49 AM

what are you trying to do? change the piston and seal?
Old 09-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Courtesy sells the rebuild kit for about $22 per pair of calipers. Rebuilding a caliper just consists of replacing all the rubber parts and cleaning everything out really well. I'm going to do this soon as well. My right-front caliper is leaking fluid around the piston seal.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
Courtesy sells the rebuild kit for about $22 per pair of calipers. Rebuilding a caliper just consists of replacing all the rubber parts and cleaning everything out really well. I'm going to do this soon as well. My right-front caliper is leaking fluid around the piston seal.
anyone notice how expensive the rears are? You'd think there's not much to the Maxima calipers, they're almost one-sided. I haven't done any other brakes in a long time, but I can remember some calipers with 4 pistons and also ones with one piston on each side...
Old 09-05-2003, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo
what are you trying to do? change the piston and seal?
Yes, that was my plan. I think something is sticking and dragging. I'll also clean the 2 pin guides that the pads slide on too.

mzmtg: so i'm looking for a caliper seal kit? For $22-33, should I just goto autozone and get a rebuilt caliper and return my core?

How difficult is it to change the seals and clean everthing? The chilton schematic looks like there's 20 parts to disassemble.

Jae
Old 09-05-2003, 07:04 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
mzmtg: so i'm looking for a caliper seal kit? For $22-33, should I just goto autozone and get a rebuilt caliper and return my core?
If you're not confident in re-building your calipers, that would be the best bet. May cost you more, but you don't want to mess up your brake system.

How difficult is it to change the seals and clean everthing? The chilton schematic looks like there's 20 parts to disassemble.
Its not really that hard. Just keep track of what was where when you take it apart, and put them back together the same way.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
If you're not confident in re-building your calipers, that would be the best bet. May cost you more, but you don't want to mess up your brake system.

Its not really that hard. Just keep track of what was where when you take it apart, and put them back together the same way.
I have not done it. The factors I would consider are--how much $$ is saved? Pro--rebuild it and you know it's a genuine Nissan caliper that came with the vehicle (if you are the orig. owner). Con--mess it up, and you lose time and money. Pro of the remanuf--it's as good as the warranty of the seller, so it could be decent. Con--could be a piece of cr** that causes you to have to do the job more than once, or sooner than the rebuild.

Time is important--why waste it? Now my uncle wants me to turn off his service engine soon lamp because he doesn't want to pay the dealer (came on at 61k). I try to tell him, what part of my story don't you understand? I turned mine off 4 times and cleaned the EVAP thingy but eventually I had to go to the dealer anyway, and the car ran better after I did. My aunt understands but he just wants the light off and doesn't want to pay.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:50 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Time is important--why waste it?
I don't feel its a waste. I feel much better knowing that a job is done right.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:41 AM
I'm needing a caw

When popping the piston out, becareful if you are using compressed air. I shot the piston across the table doing this!!!!!!! It takes just a little air to pop the piston.
It depends on how much the rebuilt calipers are. It's not a difficult job.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:41 PM

Rear wheel calipers are much more expensive than front because of the ebrake mechanism inside. Dealer price: 275$ CAD: refund for core: app 100$.
I have a seized ebrake lever on the right side. Eventually I will have to change it. I am not planning on rebuilding a rear caliper because of all the internal parts involved.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:21 PM
ivelweyz

I'm getting mine off a 99se from a junk yard. $60 for both with only 22k miles...

Old 09-05-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
When popping the piston out, becareful if you are using compressed air. I shot the piston across the table doing this!!!!!!! It takes just a little air to pop the piston.
It depends on how much the rebuilt calipers are. It's not a difficult job.

Also if your going to use the ait compressor to take the piston out, make shure you put a piece of wood or a note pad in front of the piston or else you might scar the piston if it slams against the caliper or something else
Old 09-05-2003, 08:56 PM
ivelweyz

Just take the caliper off the rotors and apply brakes. Have someone hold it as it pops. out...

Old 09-06-2003, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
Just take the caliper off the rotors and apply brakes. Have someone hold it as it pops. out...
this's the method I was told many years ago.
Ok, I'll call around for the parts vs calipers. I have a feeling I'm going to buy the seals and do it myself since I'll be saving $ and I got all weekend to do all 4 anyways.

So no special tricks? Just disassemble, clean, reassemble? Any lubricating involved?

Jae