General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Brown Coloured Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 02:45 AM
Schnell kaputt

Brown Coloured Tires?

I'm just curious to know what is causing my tires to have this hint of brown tint over the sidewalls? I've noticed this on all 4 tires on my Max and a couple of them seem to be browner than the others. I can really see it in the sun of day.

I give my sidewalls a good washing when I wash my car but it seems to do nothing. I don't drive in mud/dirt and it hasn't rained where I live. ONLY thing I recall that I did to the sidewalls was putting on that spray stuff on it to shine/gloss it up. Not sure what's causing it but how can I get rid of it?
Old 09-06-2003, 06:15 AM
Kevlo for President

curb rash, don't rub against curbs
Old 09-06-2003, 06:50 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

It's the shine spray stuff. I think you need to use a non-silicone based tire shine product. I used to know the name of a few, but cn't think of them. Ask PrinzII, he'll know. Take a look in the detailing section. Basically, you need to clean your tires, tire wet is not a cleaner.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Custom User Title...

i have this stuff too... i'll have to get a nice cleaner for it. thanx nickstam
Old 09-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Try Westley's Bleche White. All you do is spray it on and spray off with water. It gets rid of white and brownwalls with no rubbing needed.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Armorall causes the Brown effect. Don't use it. If you can find Turtle Wax Tire Wax, give that a try. It's a cream that shines wet for a few washes and never turns brown.

You can scrub your tires with Simple Green and a scrubby pad to get the brown discolored Armorall residue off. Rub hard and make sure you toss the rest of your Armorall in the trash.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You can scrub your tires with Simple Green and a scrubby pad to get the brown discolored Armorall residue off. Rub hard and make sure you toss the rest of your Armorall in the trash.
A2Z wheel cleaner works very well on tires, also.

Instead of tossing the Armor All, you could use it for wheelwells. Just don't let the spray get on your tire tread

I use Lexol Vinylex or 303 Protectant on mine. Neither leave a high gloss shine (which I don't like anyways), but both leave the tires BLACK. They don't contain anything harmful to your tires. and WILL NOT turn your tires brown like products loaded with silicones or petroleum distillates (which is most of the shiny stuff).

Check out the detail forum, and also www.autopia.org, www.detailcity.com, and www.showcargarage.com forums. All have excellent material.

Dave
Old 09-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Armorall causes the Brown effect. Don't use it. If you can find Turtle Wax Tire Wax, give that a try. It's a cream that shines wet for a few washes and never turns brown.

Simple Green is your best friend when you need to clean stuff, like your wheels and tires.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
Try Westley's Bleche White. All you do is spray it on and spray off with water. It gets rid of white and brownwalls with no rubbing needed.

But, don't let it sit on your wheels too long. It streaks painted surfaces, and then you gotta scrub them to get them clean too.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:59 AM

wouldnt simple green absorb into the rubber and makes them soft and sticky?
Old 09-07-2003, 05:58 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Nismo
wouldnt simple green absorb into the rubber and makes them soft and sticky?
No, Simple Green, although a great cleaner is completely safe to use and is also enviromentally friendly.