General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

~~Please Reply with YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE...What pads did u buy that Squeal or Dont???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

~~Please Reply with YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE...What pads did u buy that Squeal or Dont???

ok my brakes are done & cant afford BB kit right now. I'm getting either slotted or crossdrilled/slotted rotors but cant decide which pads to get. (also getting the SS lines)

I've been reading alot of people complain about squeal noise w/ certain pads. Someone told me to only get Ceramic &/or Kevlar brake pads-- only ones I found were the Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads. Or I also read people using OEM brake pads w/ aftermarket rotors....would this actually work....if so, are OEM brake pads Ceramic?

Thanks

p.s. Also name what pads YOU EXPERIENCED no squeals or squeals!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

My mom's friend's boss's son's cousin's 3rd wife's daughter mentioned that the Raybestos NS and QS series are quiet
Old 09-14-2003, 04:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Autozone...Albany pads and their cheapo rotors. No problems at all...
Old 09-14-2003, 04:55 AM
maximum_rpm_nyc

OEM are ceramic.
Consider purchasing Porterfields/HAWK pads.
If you aren't purchasing OEM brake pads, I suggest you purchase the 4th gen brake hardware kit from Nissan. The pads are different from 4th to 5th gen, but all the aftermarket companies assume they are the same, but they're not.

Old 09-14-2003, 05:53 AM
lcf

I went aftermarket once... squeeled like a ****. Went back to OEM.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Axxis Metal Masters, Quite.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:11 AM

I tried Raybestos QS and regular Raybestos as well as Bendix. They were all quiet but dusted WAY too much. The Bendix and QS also glazed on me after a month...

I got cross drilled slotted Brembos and decided to go with OEM pads front and rear. Of all the pads I've tried, OEM are the best. They stop well, are silent, and put out hardly any dust. They're worth the inflated dealer price IMO

-Tony
Old 09-14-2003, 07:29 AM

thanks...looks like i'm leaning towards OEM pads
Old 09-14-2003, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
i have C/D & slotted rotors on the front and only C/D in the rear with metal masters pads with the SS brake lines.

i have no problems with this set up and i'm on my 2nd set of pads in the front.

with the metal master pads my wheels stay cleaner longer than with oem pads and i need that because i have chrome wheels.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:13 PM

I got the stillen c/d rotors with Axxis metal matrix pads. It was quite for 1 day. After two weeks of squealing I just tossed em and replaced them with the OEM pads. I used the shims from the axxis pads since they had a fine film of rubber on them and even applied a bit of no squeal to top it off. They are quiet as hell when slowing down (unlike the axxis pads, which sounded like a damn shuttle when slowing down)
and I no longer have any squeals.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Boost.....

Stillen x-drilled + Metal Masters

Love-em, no squeaks or squeels.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Axis Metal Masters- no squeaks or squeals.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:22 PM

Performance Friction Carbon Metallics......Much better than OEM Nissan pads and they cost $32 at Autozone. Probably the best street pads you can buy.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:07 PM

Axxis metal masters, good pads
Old 09-14-2003, 06:05 PM

metal masters here and no squeaks at all.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Sports Button FTW

autozone brake pads squeak, atleast the cheapest ones do. Lifetime warranty but they squeek...think i put about 2,000 miles on them or a little more....
Old 09-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you guys all using anti-squeal gel of some sort? I don't think I've ever heard of a pad not squealing without it...
Old 09-14-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Axxis Metal Masters, Quite.
I have Axxis Metal Masters in the rear with stock rotors, they used to squeak sometimes when braking at low speeds. Then I took my car on a roadcourse, and now they dont squeak anymore...
Old 09-14-2003, 10:30 PM

I guess I just got a jacked up set of pads.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:26 AM
SLOW

Make sure your shims are in good shape, and you buy some brake quietiting grease. I've got a set of pads from Auto Value, I think they are Warner replacement pads, they are silent. Just put the grease and shims on there. BTW those CD/slotted rotors will be noisier than stock. That's not to say they will necessarily squeal, but they will at least be audible under braking if you have your windows down and radio off for instance.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:31 AM

Raybestos QS... squeaked in the beginning but it has subsided... dont hear anything now.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:47 AM

brembo rotors and EBC green pads. Crazy stopping power but some squeelage after moist conditions!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:25 AM

now i'm leaning towards Axxis Metal Masters.....Anybody have any experience w/ Axxis Ultimate Pads or Deluxe???

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Make sure your shims are in good shape, and you buy some brake quietiting grease. I've got a set of pads from Auto Value, I think they are Warner replacement pads, they are silent. Just put the grease and shims on there. BTW those CD/slotted rotors will be noisier than stock. That's not to say they will necessarily squeal, but they will at least be audible under braking if you have your windows down and radio off for instance.
well i changed my mind over the weekend & i'm going w/ dimpled/slotted rotors....does that make a difference?
Old 09-15-2003, 10:22 AM

Slotted rotors should eliminate noise from the pads. When you do a brake job you need to re-grease the bolts. This step is very important to keep your brakes quiet.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by maximaman777
Slotted rotors should eliminate noise from the pads. When you do a brake job you need to re-grease the bolts. This step is very important to keep your brakes quiet.

which bolts?
Old 09-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have C/D & slotted with Autozone pads and they don't squeal. It's probably like the previous posters said and make sure the installation is done right with anti squeal grease and proper lubing.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:49 AM

which bolts?

The caliper bolts. 2 per caliper and have rubber boots on them. hitting the shims lighty is a good idea also.

When putting on the SS lines you will need to replace all brake fluid. If you have access to a compressor there are kits sold to do this with much less mess that give a VERY quick/good bleed. 2 Person job but worth it. DO NOT get the fluid on the car!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Your welcome.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:26 AM

Give me a minute and I'll post a link in this post to the type of bleeder kit also.

Here you go http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...D=5551&BQ=jcw2

They also have one, but it's twice as much, that you can use it you don't have a compressor. You should be able to find something similar at any auto parts store but this is the type you should use. No mess and it not only does a very good job it does it quickly.

A couple of flare nut wrenches will also be a big help with the lines. You need 2 different size wrenches for the lines, I just don't remember the sizes. #11 in the diagram above uses one size and the other end of the line has another. But you will need 2 wrenches for the other end because it's a compression fitting and you don't want to twist the metal "hard" brake line. I think it's 10mm & 14mm but I'm not completely sure.

Lastly the main PITA in doing this is the line retainer clips. Not a big deal just a pain. Let me know when you're going to do the job and I'll give you some more pointers.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by maximaman777
The caliper bolts. 2 per caliper and have rubber boots on them. hitting the shims lighty is a good idea also.

When putting on the SS lines you will need to replace all brake fluid. If you have access to a compressor there are kits sold to do this with much less mess that give a VERY quick/good bleed. 2 Person job but worth it. DO NOT get the fluid on the car!
how many 1/2 quarts bottles should i get? i think i'm going w/ motul or whatever the name is.....
Old 09-15-2003, 12:31 PM

thanks jeff for the pic.....& thanks maximaman for link

p.s. if i go thru w/ this i'll make a How-To
Old 09-15-2003, 12:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=64046
Old 09-15-2003, 12:35 PM

2 and you'll have some left over. If you can get it close by get 1. The system doesn't hold much but doing a full flush should use up at least 1 bottle and if you can't get it near by you'll want that 2nd on hand just in case.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:49 PM
STFU n00b!

if you've got ABS, you'll need 2-3 quarts. without ABS, you can bleed the system with less than a quart.

Here's my experiences with various pads:

OEM. quiet. some dust. fade on hard driving in front, glazed shoes in the back.

Axxis Metal Master: sounded like a school bus. not much fade, but they were so noisy I tossed them.

Beck Arnley. Heavy dust, fade horribly on hard driving. quiet.

Bendix IQ. quiet. fair amount of dust, decent performance.

Then I upgraded to wilwood calipers in front and bigger rotors in the rear.....

Porterfield R4S. Quiet. Heavy dust. gouged up rotors. some fade on hard driving.

Hawk HPS. heavy dust. Fade on hard driving. squeaky, but not horrible.

Hawk black. DO NOT use these on a street car. track only. ruined a set of skyline rotors in 3 days. worse than installing rocks instead of pads.

Raybestos Quiet Stop. very little dust. squeaks a bit when cold after you've previously driven them hard. some fade on hard driving, but comes back quickly. I use these for every day driving.

Wilwood D compound. HEAVY dust. great performance. high torque, low rotor wear. short pad life. only fades on REALLY hard driving. great for auto X or light braking road course.

Wilwood E compound. No noise. Heavy dust. excellent performance, easy on rotors. Using ATE blue fluid, I get fluid fade before pad fade. I use these for heavy braking road courses, and can consistently outbrake most of the other cars on the track.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:17 PM

Thanks for Thread Link & Info......

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
if you've got ABS, you'll need 2-3 quarts. without ABS, you can bleed the system with less than a quart.

Here's my experiences with various pads:

OEM. quiet. some dust. fade on hard driving in front, glazed shoes in the back.

Axxis Metal Master: sounded like a school bus. not much fade, but they were so noisy I tossed them.

Beck Arnley. Heavy dust, fade horribly on hard driving. quiet.

Bendix IQ. quiet. fair amount of dust, decent performance.

Then I upgraded to wilwood calipers in front and bigger rotors in the rear.....

Porterfield R4S. Quiet. Heavy dust. gouged up rotors. some fade on hard driving.

Hawk HPS. heavy dust. Fade on hard driving. squeaky, but not horrible.

Hawk black. DO NOT use these on a street car. track only. ruined a set of skyline rotors in 3 days. worse than installing rocks instead of pads.

Raybestos Quiet Stop. very little dust. squeaks a bit when cold after you've previously driven them hard. some fade on hard driving, but comes back quickly. I use these for every day driving.

Wilwood D compound. HEAVY dust. great performance. high torque, low rotor wear. short pad life. only fades on REALLY hard driving. great for auto X or light braking road course.

Wilwood E compound. No noise. Heavy dust. excellent performance, easy on rotors. Using ATE blue fluid, I get fluid fade before pad fade. I use these for heavy braking road courses, and can consistently outbrake most of the other cars on the track.

Damn looks like you had ALOT of brake experiences....is this all on the same car or different cars?
Old 09-15-2003, 01:20 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Love my Porterfields. Put a set on my 97 and now my 99. Both with stock rotors.

No noise, ever, but lots and lots of dust, which may or may not bother you. Doesn't bother me.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by lcf
I went aftermarket once... squeeled like a ****. Went back to OEM.
Yeah, I used OEM and had ZERO squeals--even forgot to do the shims on one side. I'd highly recommend OEM--the orig lasted 70k or so, and were only 2/3 done. Squealing is plain stupid and annoying--I mean how you gonna tell your passengers the brake squeal = high performance? They're probably thinking your car is in need of repair when they hear it. my .02
Old 09-15-2003, 01:37 PM
STFU n00b!

Thanks for Thread Link & Info......

Damn looks like you had ALOT of brake experiences....is this all on the same car or different cars?

the OE calipers were all on my GXE pretty much. I totalled it and bought my SE about two years ago. so all the pads on the wilwood calipers have been in the last two years. at first, they didn't have a ceramic compound for street use, so I was using race pads on the street. they'd last about 6 weeks before I wore the pads out.
now I'm using raybestos quiet stop (wilwood Q series) and they're great for street use. quiet, low dust, and perform well enough for street. they last about a year or so on a set. I've gone through one set since I bought them, and am about halfway through the second.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:36 PM

I find that the nonvalue Nissan OE pads work good.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Kevlo for President

i have the Raybesto's QS, and they are quiet and do dust alot under hard braking

Quick Reply: ~~Please Reply with YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE...What pads did u buy that Squeal or Dont???