General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Attn: Kenneth

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How the hell did you get the AE brake pedal on?!?! My fingers are slipping and sliding all over the place and they hurt like hell from trying to put them on! It's sorta just hanging half-way... hope it doesn't come off when I try to brake!

And oh yeah, you figure out how to put the gas pedal on yet? It's a loose fit, but nothing some electrical tap and a rubber band couldn't fix. If you haven't gotten it on yet, here's how:

Face the gas pedal normally. On the top left, behind the pedal, you'll feel/see a rectangle protrusion. You have to stick a flathead screwdriver at it from the left and pry the screwdriver upwards. It's a latch thingie. Then from there, just pop it off.
Old 02-13-2001, 06:00 PM

bump
Old 02-14-2001, 05:01 AM
OG :)

Originally posted by clee130
How the hell did you get the AE brake pedal on?!?! My fingers are slipping and sliding all over the place and they hurt like hell from trying to put them on! It's sorta just hanging half-way... hope it doesn't come off when I try to brake!

And oh yeah, you figure out how to put the gas pedal on yet? It's a loose fit, but nothing some electrical tap and a rubber band couldn't fix. If you haven't gotten it on yet, here's how:

Face the gas pedal normally. On the top left, behind the pedal, you'll feel/see a rectangle protrusion. You have to stick a flathead screwdriver at it from the left and pry the screwdriver upwards. It's a latch thingie. Then from there, just pop it off.
Hey,

Try these instructions:

"The brake pedal cover is just a cover, but the gas pedal is a direct replacement, but NOT the entire gas pedal arm
which extends up into the dash.

A handy item to have is a miniature mirror, as to look behind the pedals to see how they are secured. The pedals do not look close to the floor board until you get right down there and need some room. I suppose if you have a pea
head no mirror is needed. My head must be fat.

To install the brake pedal part:
(1) Using your fingers behind the corners and peel the pedal off. Start on a corner and work one end. Once you get
it going it comes right off.

(2) You should be looking at the brake pedal backing, which looks just like the pad but is metal. You should be
holding the old brake pedal pad. Set this aside.

(3) Take a deep breath. Relax. Take another deep breath and commence the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

(4) Start at the top by sliding the top of the pad over the metal backing. Here is where it gets fun. The remainder
of the pad will not want to conform to the pedal backing.

(5) I found the easiest thing to do was to grab the bottom of the ae brake pedal cover, using both hands, spread
out my fingers and rolled back the "lip" of the cover. This was all done with the top securely in place. The idea
is to stretch the lip out, evenly across the bottom including the corners, keeping your fingers oh so close to the metal backing. You'll think your fingers are going to get caught in there. Release and hope you hooked the bottom. This will take some effort and time. If you are doing it right, you are face-to-face with the brake pedal cover, your shoulders are arms tense trying to fit it, and your legs flailing about outside the car, with many "adjectives" describing the process. It is not too much fun.

(6) Once you feel the top and bottom is in place, all around should be flush and none of the "lip" curled under. For any spots where the lip is curled under, kind of tug and massage these areas, almost plucking from inside out, until these spots get ironed out. Again, a mirror is handy to "look" back there."

Mdeal wrote them. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=23117
Old 02-14-2001, 06:23 AM

Thanks...

And that's what I get for only lurking in the general and 4th gen forums... I don't get all these wonderfully laid out instructions.
Old 02-14-2001, 10:02 AM
OG :)

Re: Thanks...

Glad to help.

Kenneth