General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dave B, I put my resonator back on

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dave B, I put my resonator back on

I'll test it out and let you guys know what I think.

The setup is filter, maf, resonator and cleaned tb.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:01 AM
Kevlo for President

i am thinking of putting my stock one on too. only because i have been reading about oil in the mid pipe. i have read 2 cases. but i think that was the whole point of hte stock resonator, to be a Oil Seperater.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:40 PM

I'm interested...if you guys really say it make some sort of difference i might try it too. been having problems with my intake anyway
Old 09-20-2003, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by kevlo911
i am thinking of putting my stock one on too. only because i have been reading about oil in the mid pipe. i have read 2 cases. but i think that was the whole point of hte stock resonator, to be a Oil Seperater.

Might even put mine back now for that reason only
Old 09-20-2003, 06:31 PM

Well, I just got back in from a day of driving but I can't say I felt a huge difference although hughway power seemed to be a bit better.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:59 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

isnt there always going to be a little bit of oil even in the stock resonator? i know it goes back through the resonator or midpipe to be pushed through the throttle body to be burned back up during combustion. its alot easier to see the oil stain on the midpipe because of the lighter color but wouldnt it still be in the stock resonator as well?
Old 09-20-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Ahh the lovely resonator. I put mine back on, then took it of, put it on. Finally I said skrew it and sold the mid pipe. I never had any oil problems b/c the pipe I made didn't connect to the valve cover. (but the breather filter I had got dirty inside).
Old 09-20-2003, 07:12 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
Ahh the lovely resonator. I put mine back on, then took it of, put it on. Finally I said skrew it and sold the mid pipe. I never had any oil problems b/c the pipe I made didn't connect to the valve cover. (but the breather filter I had got dirty inside).
obviously you are a believer of the stock resonator but where in the rpms did it feel better?
Old 09-20-2003, 08:21 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I can’t really say 100% its feels better anywhere. Sometimes it feels faster, sometimes it doesn't. Bottom end (like WOT or close to it) off the line seems quicker, like a snap instead of a bog. I remember spinning the tires at 50mph in the rain with the resonator on and then with the mid pipe on I couldn’t spin them off the line in the rain. (I hate autos sometimes). I also had a bad KS, so once I changed it I thought it was much peppier with the mid pipe. I'd say the mid pipe is for sound and mid to high RPM power where as the resonator is for low to mid power. I'll keep the stock resonator on until someone proves that a mid pipe yields better performance. (I wonder how Dave is doing with the resonator and CAI pipe). This topic is so over talked about. I'm sure it's only 1-3 hp (if any) that we keep blabing about, so on the butt dyno it's too close to call. Bottom line: get it for sound, get it for looks, or get it just to have one, just don't expect much performance out of it, but I'm not saying don't buy/make one.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:12 PM
SLOW

Hey guys I am selling these new pills they are called Placebox and I only charge $79.99 for a bottle of 100 pills They work great at making your car faster and will cure diseases too!

Old 09-20-2003, 09:22 PM

The 350Z uses a straight pipe with a breather hose connected to it, stock!
Old 09-20-2003, 10:08 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

My pills are made of sugar and will make you think your car is fasting by making an extremely minor tweek. Only $10 a pill for these miraculous wonders.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I'm thinking about adding 3 resonators to really gain some power.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:40 PM

wonder if there was a way to make an aftermarket one out of billet slabs and weld them into the correct dimensions, maybe larger and possibly increase the effects?
Old 09-21-2003, 06:01 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by sloppymax
isnt there always going to be a little bit of oil even in the stock resonator? i know it goes back through the resonator or midpipe to be pushed through the throttle body to be burned back up during combustion. its alot easier to see the oil stain on the midpipe because of the lighter color but wouldnt it still be in the stock resonator as well?

those pics by athlon omega made we wanna put mine on. with the stcok resonator, i beleive little amounts of oil will go into the engine and not alot like those pics have.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:05 AM

Craig and Neal: Go to rehab.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:48 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

those pics by athlon omega made we wanna put mine on. with the stcok resonator, i beleive little amounts of oil will go into the engine and not alot like those pics have.
i never realized you were talking about that amount of oil. ive had my midpipe on for about 20k and i only have a stain of oil where the breather line runs back into the main part of the midpipe. i cleaned the throttle for the time around 25k with the midpipe being on around a year (15k) and it was dirty but looked nothing like that.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:32 AM

Please GOD, dont let that be what my midpipe looks like inside..
Old 09-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Kevlo for President

the car does feel a little pepier under 2.5k. did not go at WOT but it can't be much different. the sound did get a little quieter
Old 09-21-2003, 09:49 AM

This thread makes no sense to me. The VQ35 in the 350Z uses a straight pipe just like the Franken mid-pipe, there is no resonator on the 350Z.

So my question is why do you feel it causes oil build up? The oil build up is from excessive blow-by, not the midpipe.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Kevlo for President

well the stock one will hold the oil at hte bottom suck when it sucks air only a little bit of oil can get in. the stock resonator is called a oil seperator for a reason.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:40 AM

Why not just get a crank case breather filter, and cap off the return inlet on the midpipes.... case solved ???
Old 09-21-2003, 10:42 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Stillnmax
Why not just get a crank case breather filter, and cap off the return inlet on the midpipes.... case solved ???
Exaaaactly. Why are you guys freaking out about something that will happen with the stock resonator too? It's just the breather hose.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:53 AM

I don't see the oil issue in my my midpipe.

Maximam: This thread is about whether there are any gains felt by adding the resonator back onto the intake path.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:03 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The 350Z doesn't come with a resonator, but the G35 sedan does have a one. I don't know about the G35 coupe. I don't know if the 350Z manifold is different from the G35 sedans or not (287hp vs 260hp). I know a lot of G35 sedan owners have switched over to 350Z non-resonated pipe and noted more intake noise, but no difference at the track.

All I know is my car drives better with the resonator on.

Dave
Old 09-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Dev

Originally Posted by Dave B
The 350Z doesn't come with a resonator, but the G35 sedan does have a one. I don't know about the G35 coupe. I don't know if the 350Z manifold is different from the G35 sedans or not (287hp vs 260hp). I know a lot of G35 sedan owners have switched over to 350Z non-resonated pipe and noted more intake noise, but no difference at the track.

All I know is my car drives better with the resonator on.

Dave
i doubt there were be much difference at the track with such a little change. even with our maxima's, any change to the intake system makes little change, except for forced induction. i don't see how just swapping a midpipe with the stock resonator can change anything. maybe 0.5hp if anything? i don't know how you all feel such a significant difference by adding stock piping back, but it seems to be a placebo to me...
seems like any change is a good change...
when people put on the midpipe...they feel incredible gains....and when they take it off...they feel even more gains...lol
my idea is to keep swapping it and building up more power each time j/k
but yeah im just trying to say an intake only gives like 3-7hp...so tampering with it can't give you more than a couple hp give or take...and that is not noticable at all to a 3000lb car
Old 09-22-2003, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dev
i doubt there were be much difference at the track with such a little change. even with our maxima's, any change to the intake system makes little change, except for forced induction. i don't see how just swapping a midpipe with the stock resonator can change anything. maybe 0.5hp if anything? i don't know how you all feel such a significant difference by adding stock piping back, but it seems to be a placebo to me...
when people put on the midpipe...they feel incredible gains....and when they take it off...they feel even more gains...lol
but yeah im just trying to say an intake only gives like 3-7hp...so tampering with it can't give you more than a couple hp give or take...and that is not noticable at all to a 3000lb car
It just seems like there's less of a bog with the resonator.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:48 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Dev
I pretty much agree with everything you're saying. I'll just add that my new setup with a PR CAI pipe and the stock resonator feels far more "torquey" and I love it. It takes far less rpm just to get rolling and right off the line the car feels much better which must have something to do with all the extra air stored in the longer CAI piping. Entry into each gear is awesome too. It feels completely different than my prior hacked/hybrid setups. Faster? Doubtful, but definately more enjoyable driving.

Dave
Old 09-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Dev

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying. I'll just add that my new setup with a PR CAI pipe and the stock resonator feels far more "torquey" and I love it. It takes far less rpm just to get rolling and right off the line the car feels much better which must have something to do with all the extra air stored in the longer CAI piping. Entry into each gear is awesome too. It feels completely different than my prior hacked/hybrid setups. Faster? Doubtful, but definately more enjoyable driving.

Dave
Thanks for the reply.
I've been running the JWT popcharger for a year now, and the only satisfaction it gives me is sound. I never expected any performance from it, nor did I feel any. However, I find that sound influences my mind to "think" its faster when its really not. I still have the stock resonator, but was planning to get a midpipe maybe next year. Other than the oil from crankcase problems, what are the other disads?
I'm not sure about the temperature of the air (midpipe might increase the temps of air since it'll retain heat from the engine bay) but wouldn't the flow rate increase due to less restriction?
Old 09-22-2003, 05:28 PM

Dave
any pics out that? I've never seen a stock resonator with the CAI pipe.....

BTW thx for the help on them dash parts, I recieved them last friday just as you said....