General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

cold air intake users ATTENTION! new ideas for more HP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 04:42 PM
V^___^V

cold air intake users ATTENTION! new ideas for more HP!!!

this is just some random ideas while i was at work. basically this will work for place racing style CAI only.

[idea 1]
take off fogs and clear corners, and dust panel to allow more air flow in. although it might look ghetto outside, but you'll get more HP.

[idead 2]
do everythin in idea 1, as well as take a small bucket with full of ice. place it under the filter to allow more cold air to being sucked in. the only way to allow the bucket sit tightly under the filter is find a way to mount it or secure it.

i know ideas are ghetto, but what do u you guys think?
Old 09-21-2003, 04:46 PM
My heroine

Originally Posted by happyricefob

[idead 2]
do everythin in idea 1, as well as take a small bucket with full of ice. place it under the filter to allow more cold air to being sucked in. the only way to allow the bucket sit tightly under the filter is find a way to mount it or secure it.

when you're doing any significant speed, I don't think just regular ice is going to do much.. besides melt and slosh water all over
Old 09-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by willis
when you're doing any significant speed, I don't think just regular ice is going to do much.. besides melt and slosh water all over

plus it gets pretty hot in the wheel well, maybe not as hot as the engine bay but its not room temperature. Ice in a bucket wont last 5 minutes in there. You gonna have to make pit stops 3 times to every hour.

I agree wit that fog light idea and actually agree that it may give more gains but i rather be an hp or five slower to look good and increase my driving visibility at night.

I was thinking just now of putting some type of hole in the wheel well guard to increase airflow but during bad weather, everything and anythign can get through that hole.

What you can do is probably find some way to put a hole on the inner side and maybe it will peak a hole near the fans which may bring in more air or cooler air. Sort of the same place the injen sits.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:43 PM
V^___^V

well..if the bucket only last for 5mintues, it may be good just for drag i guess...
Old 09-21-2003, 08:51 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

well..if the bucket only last for 5mintues, it may be good just for drag i guess...
Whatever you do, be careful with any kind of Custom CAI... don't end up like I did...
Old 09-21-2003, 08:52 PM

Like you said.......ghetto ideas, lol.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:10 AM
wat

How about you try all these ideas first and let us know how it turns out?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Dev

instead of putting a bucket of ice....which wont do anything but add weight, why not ice down the intake manifold and throttle body?

i know some supercharged cars ice down their superchargers...
Old 09-22-2003, 08:31 AM

maybe you could put some dry ice in there
Old 09-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Dev

Originally Posted by ohannon7
maybe you could put some dry ice in there
thats kind of hard to come by...especially for a 0hp gain
also, when it turns from solid to gas, wont the engine bay be filled with carbon dioxide?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dev
also, when it turns from solid to gas, wont the engine bay be filled with carbon dioxide?

Dry ice is not hard to come by. but as far as as all that other stuff i dunno, im gonna email Bill Nye and i'll get back w/ ya on that issue
Old 09-22-2003, 09:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First of all noone that cares how their car looks is going to drive around with their fog light and corners removed for daily driving. The track, maybe. I see people with other cars removing the headlight in front of their intake at the track all the time. If you put a "bucket" of ice in the fender well not only would it reduce airflow, add weight, it would worst of all possibly introduce water into the intake. Oh yeah if you take off the dust cover watch out for puddles. Try it and tell how it goes though, but be careful.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dev

Yes, which is counterproductive.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

haha. Put a bucket of ice under the filter. Hmm so when it melts, the filter can suck up a good load of water and hydrolock the engine? I'll pass
Old 09-23-2003, 02:28 PM

To help your idea a little...

Forget ice. Try one of those 'Ice Packs' that don't melt when they get warm. If you can some how section of your intake part of your engine (shield it from the heat) and secure some sort of ice packs near or under the filter, this could help while idling at the track.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
haha. Put a bucket of ice under the filter. Hmm so when it melts, the filter can suck up a good load of water and hydrolock the engine? I'll pass
you realize this is the same guy whose friends said water on the filter improves performance.....

I'm with look2me40......try it and tell us how it works out
Old 09-23-2003, 03:00 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Ok here's what I think
1: In some cases removing lights can add drag
2: Bucket of ice.... maybe with holes to drain water, but then if you drip at the track you can't race, and ice = more wieght
3: No one would do this for daily driving, it just seems pointless
4: Putting ice packs on the intake manifold and TB....umm pointless, since the TB has a coolant line in it
5: Putting Cold Packs around the piping may work, but for how long?
6: wanna go faster? Do what Jime, plurco and others have done:
I'm sure that's the coldest air intake.

I'm not flaming, just tring to make a point. Remember we are still talking about 1-3 HP if that, but in the end I guess every little bit helps.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:18 PM

There are some crazy idea's being posted however, why doesn't anyone try measuring the peak MAF volt for a given intake design? That in a nutshell will show how much more/less air flow is achieved. It's as easy as putting a voltmeter to the MAF volt wire on the ECU and doing a run to redline/rev limiter. Basically the higher the MAF volt the higher the air flow is.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:26 PM
V^___^V

first of all, maybe i should restate my thread a bit. this was only a thought mainly aimed for drag race. i "heard" abuot the ideal of ice box intake from others. maybe my "descriptions" aren't clear enough and caused this thread end up with unclear ideas and assumption.

and yes when i hit track i will definetly try this my own.

in addition, on top of jime and plurco and others have done to their "coldest" air intake from headlight, i even thought about having some sort of "ice" style things that makes the headlight section even colder, so when absorbing air into the filter, and air can be colder. it may not necessary needs to be done by ice, but perhaps like icepacks would help. (as Str8ridin suggested) again, for track use.

i don't care being called n00b, being n00bed, or gettin n00lized by other people. i'm jus throwing ideas around. if it sux, then daymn. if not, then i contribute more stuff on the org. that's all.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:30 PM

instead of making the air colder, how about making the car lighter. I suggest this:

1. Drive by yourself. Passengers will only weigh you down.
2. Since you're driving by yourself, remove the passenger and rear seats.
3. Since no one will be sitting in the car with you, you can also remove the passenger and rear doors. Those things will probably reduce the weight of the car significantly.
4. Remove the spare tire.
5. Remove the back bumper.
6. Wax the remaining parts of your car with "Navy Top Gun grade Super Hornet" wax. This should reduce the drag on the car in turn increasing aerodynamics.

I believe that doing this will increase your horsepower by at least 10%!!!!!

***Note: It is recommended that you replace passenger and rear doors in inclement weather to prevent soiling interior.***
Old 09-23-2003, 06:36 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by AE SEoulchild
instead of making the air colder, how about making the car lighter. I suggest this:

3. Since no one will be sitting in the car with you, you can also remove the passenger and rear doors. Those things will probably reduce the weight of the car significantly.
6. Wax the remaining parts of your car with "Navy Top Gun grade Super Hornet" wax. This should reduce the drag on the car in turn increasing aerodynamics.

I believe that doing this will increase your horsepower by at least 10%!!!!!

***Note: It is recommended that you replace passenger and rear doors in inclement weather to prevent soiling interior.***
yea i know all that, but that's not what this thread was aiming for. it's based on place racing cold air intake style users that may want to try out my ideas. especially at track.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

WHAT!?!? you forgot speed holes???

Old 09-23-2003, 06:40 PM

yea i know all that, but that's not what this thread was aiming for. it's based on place racing cold air intake style users that may want to try out my ideas. especially at track.

If you thought I was anywhere close to being serious with that last post you are insane. I figured I'd joke around because you guys clearly have to be kidding putting "buckets of ice" under your hood. I hope that you guys are kidding...please tell me you all are kidding.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
WHAT!?!? you forgot speed holes???

The speed holes are a given!!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:42 PM
V^___^V

If you thought I was anywhere close to being serious with that last post you are insane. I figured I'd joke around because you guys clearly have to be kidding putting "buckets of ice" under your hood. I hope that you guys are kidding...please tell me you all are kidding.
i never thought about you thought. i am just trying to share the idea of making the cold air intake COLDER. ice, ice bucket, ice packs, a freakin portable electrical fan, whatever. just ideas throwing around that's all.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:00 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Well throwing idaes around.....
Those resistor chips on Ebay.....
Just for ***** and giggles, why not try a pot (adjustable resistor) insted of a fixed resistor for the intake air temp sensor. This way you can tune it and maybe change your fuel curve a tad. Maybe this would give you better intake gains. Maybe turn the **** during acceleration.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:21 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

haha think about it, a bucket of ice or ice of any kind will begin melting before ur even on the track, its impossible that that would even come close to working, i suggest you try something else, ice packs will be warm as soon as u line up at the tree.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:22 PM
Sports Button FTW

how bout this, i had a lincoln Mark VIII for a few weeks and found out that some people put like cooler type components around their intake. Why dont we make a cooler type bag to put under and somewhat around the filter so whatever air going in filter is cooler than usual? dont really need ice, just like components of a cooler bag. It can be tied around the filter and make air cooler. NO worries of ice melting throwing water in or buckets adding super heavy weight. Lincoln enthusiasts do this for regular intakes in their engine bay. We can do this as well.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:32 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by meccanoble
how bout this, i had a lincoln Mark VIII for a few weeks and found out that some people put like cooler type components around their intake. Why dont we make a cooler type bag to put under and somewhat around the filter so whatever air going in filter is cooler than usual? dont really need ice, just like components of a cooler bag. It can be tied around the filter and make air cooler. NO worries of ice melting throwing water in or buckets adding super heavy weight. Lincoln enthusiasts do this for regular intakes in their engine bay. We can do this as well.

hmmm but wouldnt that lead to condensation? and then the condensation would just drip down the cai extension and onto the filter getting water into the motor
Old 09-23-2003, 07:34 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

btw, kevin, in ur cardomain page there is a remote control for something on ur dash, what is that white remote control for?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:51 PM

or what about this: wrap the entire length of intake tubing with some kind of insulation heat wrap to keep engine heat away from the tube. that way, less engine heat will radiate into the tube, which should keep the air charge cooler than without the heat wrap
Old 09-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by nismos14
hmmm but wouldnt that lead to condensation? and then the condensation would just drip down the cai extension and onto the filter getting water into the motor

darn . Well what if we just have it around the filter and not connected to the piping or filter? just a bag around the filter, but a little under filter as well so it has some room to breathe?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:24 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by nismos14
btw, kevin, in ur cardomain page there is a remote control for something on ur dash, what is that white remote control for?
i had an external mp3 player, it came with a remote control. but i sold it. i'm plannin to get apple ipod with transpot so it'll be wireless thru my FM.

i thought about gettin a deck that supports mp3, but loadin mp3s from computer is so much easier with a portable player. plus i need it around school. just my .02
Old 09-23-2003, 08:38 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by meccanoble
darn . Well what if we just have it around the filter and not connected to the piping or filter? just a bag around the filter, but a little under filter as well so it has some room to breathe?

haha we're so funny, we keep tryin to find ways to gain like 1 - 3 hp, this stuff is useless!!!!! none of us have the ***** to do these cuz we know what the end result will end up being! A BLOWN MOTOR!
Old 09-23-2003, 09:35 PM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
Ok here's what I think
1: In some cases removing lights can add drag
2: Bucket of ice.... maybe with holes to drain water, but then if you drip at the track you can't race, and ice = more wieght
3: No one would do this for daily driving, it just seems pointless
4: Putting ice packs on the intake manifold and TB....umm pointless, since the TB has a coolant line in it
5: Putting Cold Packs around the piping may work, but for how long?
6: wanna go faster? Do what Jime, plurco and others have done:
I'm sure that's the coldest air intake.

I'm not flaming, just tring to make a point. Remember we are still talking about 1-3 HP if that, but in the end I guess every little bit helps.
How was this crasy creation made? Is there a guide or something on how to do this?
Old 09-23-2003, 09:40 PM
be the change u want2C

what about Dry ice attached all over your piping, wraped up with heat wrap
Old 09-23-2003, 09:48 PM

that heat wrap will be lose after awhile after the dry ice sublimates back to the gaseous state. imagine if the heatwrap gets caught with something moving after it builds up excess slack...it could get ugly.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:37 AM

A lot of proffesional drag racers 'ice down' their intakes, TB's etc. before lining up at the light. This is very common. Every little bit counts, and that's all he's looking for is that edge. But in Maxima's, we all know that heat is our worst enemy, so anything to get some cooler air into the filter would help.

And all that talk about hydrolocking the engine with a little water from melted ice is absurd. You would have to submerge the the filter in a bucket of water before it hydrolocks. If some water should even get sucked up from melted ice, it would evaporate before it even get's combusted.