General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dynoed the PFI Turbo kit tonight 325.83HP & 308.69 lbs of torque AF 10.5:1

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
He sure is.
You can't be serious.
If that is your oil return you can tell whoever designed your kit that they are grade A idiots and should not be allowed anywhere near a car ever again.
Sheesh

Oh and nice numbers Jay25. I had my car at an A/F of 10.8 for a while. Decided to tune it to 11.2-11.4 for a track day and left it like that. It's not a lot more power but it's there. A wideband is one of the first things i'd recomend for someone with a custom setup. Do a search for techedge, they have good priced ones. I like mine a lot.

Do you have any way of reading the knock or timing advance of your motor? Sorry I never learned a lot about maxima tuning while I had my car.

Ant
Old 10-27-2003, 07:46 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by Redmax
TADA!!!!! That's it!! That's it!!! That is the turbo return line!!!!

on your new setup...you're going to tap the pan right? (at least I hope)
Old 10-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
The method of induction has nothing to do with blowing the motor. The people that have "blown" motors did not have their motors fail because of the strength of the internals, the motors blew because they ended up too lean. The internals of this motor will handle over 400hp without a problem, it's when people run too lean that motors blow.

The motor doesn't know whether the air is getting forced in there via turbocharger, supercharger, or nitrous, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. It's the fact that turbos are A) more efficient so they make more power with less boost pressure, and B) easier to get greedy with and go for that extra 1psi that the fuel system can't handle, they lean out and blow. It's got nothing to do with the method of induction.
It does make a difference. With a turbo peaking at 9 psi, the engine sees 9 psi from whenever max boost hits, say 3500 rpm, all the way until redline. With a SC peaking at 9 psi, you get maybe 2-3 psi at 3500 rpm that builds to 9 psi at redline. That's a big (huge, really) difference in fuel consumed and heat input into the engine. That's exactly why turbo'd Maximas are faster than SC'ed Maximas, and most likely why some of the turbo guys had problems. Be careful, Jaime.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
It does make a difference. With a turbo peaking at 9 psi, the engine sees 9 psi from whenever max boost hits, say 3500 rpm, all the way until redline. With a SC peaking at 9 psi, you get maybe 2-3 psi at 3500 rpm that builds to 9 psi at redline. That's a big (huge, really) difference in fuel consumed and heat input into the engine. That's exactly why turbo'd Maximas are faster than SC'ed Maximas, and most likely why some of the turbo guys had problems. Be careful, Jaime.
What do you mean be careful? You know your stuff, so can you explain please?

Got me all nervouse now. I am @ 9.7PSI, I let off before 6600RPMs if you look at my dynos they fall off around 63-64K. Fuel is alright for now.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by JAY25
What do you mean be careful? You know your stuff, so can you explain please?

Got me all nervouse now. I am @ 9.7PSI, I let off before 6600RPMs if you look at my dynos they fall off around 63-64K. Fuel is alright for now.
Well, maybe I'm just overly cautious, but I hate seeing you guys blowing engines. Right now your afr is pretty conservative, which is a good thing. If you raise afr, keep an eye on EGT, and some sort of extra detonation prevention would be good. I think Mardigrasmax set an excellent example by going with the J&S Safeguard. Keep in mind that JWT tunes to 11.5:1, and they've got quite a lot of experience to base their tuning on. Freer flowing exhaust helps quite a bit to keep EGT down, too, so your plan on going to a 3" exhaust is a good one.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Well, maybe I'm just overly cautious, but I hate seeing you guys blowing engines. Right now your afr is pretty conservative, which is a good thing. If you raise afr, keep an eye on EGT, and some sort of extra detonation prevention would be good. I think Mardigrasmax set an excellent example by going with the J&S Safeguard. Keep in mind that JWT tunes to 11.5:1, and they've got quite a lot of experience to base their tuning on. Freer flowing exhaust helps quite a bit to keep EGT down, too, so your plan on going to a 3" exhaust is a good one.

ooh that, I am already been cautious. I was taking the biggest crap at the Dyno. The AF computer was reading 10.5:1 after 4K, I know it leans out more after 6K, I am not worried about it. 3 inch exhaust Ill get that later. Have to find a quiet exhaust like this Greddy I have. I have the quietest exhaust out of all the boosted maximas here in Atl I am happy my car does not make much noise aside from the wastegate.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:16 AM

About time Looks great man.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
Final run after my own dyno tunning myself

I am boosting 9.7PSI, turbo is a T4/T04E, vortech FMU 8:1 FMU disk, SAFC, Walbro fuel pump and this is Nigels PFI Turbo kit, Thanks Nigel for this sweet kit

http://bigdogjonx.net/fullpics/dyno/Jay25turbo/run5.jpg

10.5 from 4000-redline, was my fuel ratio. I gave myself some cushion since it spikes up to .7 PSI. Did it only once but I am better safe then sorry. I am also not all that greedee for power. Believe me 308lbs of torque is plenty of torque. Pulled on a 300Z TT with big mufflers on it today still in disebelief I did that. Even the driver pulled his windows down to talk but traffic was heavy. I want to say thanks to Dixit (BigdogJohnx) for the help and for uploading these Jpegs to his site and for hooking up that computer to my car. I could not have dynoed my car with his help since I did not have a Chart had a digital AF thing that reads off the numbers to you. My little brother for making sure the MEVI was working etc..

One more question how do you guys figure out what kit puts out best number PSI for PSI?

base run with broken MEVI
http://bigdogjonx.net/fullpics/dyno/Jay25turbo/run1.jpg

started adjustments

http://bigdogjonx.net/fullpics/dyno/Jay25turbo/run2.jpg

http://bigdogjonx.net/fullpics/dyno/Jay25turbo/run3.jpg

http://bigdogjonx.net/fullpics/dyno/Jay25turbo/run4.jpg

the directory in order is here

http://bigdogjonx.net/fullpics/dyno/Jay25turbo/

whoa!!! man great job... congrats.., u must be really happy for that lol...
i wish my max was that fast... ill get their in time and with more $$cash$$ haha i wish lol have fun w/ it man
Old 10-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by Max4Speed
Nice Jaime! I need to dyno tune too. I guess I will need dixit's help too :-D
See what you would be missing, keep the BOOST!!

Jamie great numbers, really makes me want to join the dark side. What is the highest EGT temp that you saw? If you are going higher on the boost have you thought about a water injection system to prevent detonating?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Street Reeper
See what you would be missing, keep the BOOST!!

Jamie great numbers, really makes me want to join the dark side. What is the highest EGT temp that you saw? If you are going higher on the boost have you thought about a water injection system to prevent detonating?
Aquamist & intercooler piping is a
Old 10-29-2003, 02:43 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Just don't put it close to the IC. I have mine near the TB.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE

Why is Aquamist and intercooler piping a no no, sorry I am a newb.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:13 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally Posted by spanishrice
Why is Aquamist and intercooler piping a no no, sorry I am a newb.
You don't want water collecting in the IC.