General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Those with front Brembo blanks

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Those with front Brembo blanks

Last night I installed my front Brembo blank rotors and Satisfied Pro ceramic pads. I took the car out and seasoned and bedded the pads. While doing both procedures the right way at the same time is nearly impossible, but I tried to do the best I could. I did ~10 light rolling stops from ~40-30mph down to 2-5mph. Then I did a 35mph down to almost 0mph fairly hard stop (70% braking). Drove a little further and did a 40mph down to 0 stop a little harder (80%, smoked the pads). Then drove a little further and did another 40-0mph stock and got the pads to smoke a again. I continued on and drove for about 20 minutes with very light braking and highway driving and then parked the car. This morning I noticed that the rotors have a very very slight blue/reddish ting. You can only tell if you look hard and in the right light. Have I already f-upped the rotors? Braking feels great and solid. No vibrations, dragging, pulsations, etc. I had followed the break-in recommendations of a family mechanic who said this method would be best for a street car.

Dave
Old 10-28-2003, 11:05 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Noticed the same thing when I put brembo blanks on my 97 back a few years ago. No problems to this day.

The 99 is still on stock rotors.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Last night I installed my front Brembo blank rotors and Satisfied Pro ceramic pads. I took the car out and seasoned and bedded the pads. While doing both procedures the right way at the same time is nearly impossible, but I tried to do the best I could. I did ~10 light rolling stops from ~40-30mph down to 2-5mph. Then I did a 35mph down to almost 0mph fairly hard stop (70% braking). Drove a little further and did a 40mph down to 0 stop a little harder (80%, smoked the pads). Then drove a little further and did another 40-0mph stock and got the pads to smoke a again. I continued on and drove for about 20 minutes with very light braking and highway driving and then parked the car. This morning I noticed that the rotors have a very very slight blue/reddish ting. You can only tell if you look hard and in the right light. Have I already f-upped the rotors? Braking feels great and solid. No vibrations, dragging, pulsations, etc. I had followed the break-in recommendations of a family mechanic who said this method would be best for a street car.

Dave
I thought the intent behind breaking them in was NOT to have them hot the first ten stops. Then, once warm, you can get on them a little harder. I didn't notice any color disifguration with mine, but then again, i din't look as hard as you I think your fine man. No worries...........
Old 10-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by ejj
Noticed the same thing when I put brembo blanks on my 97 back a few years ago. No problems to this day.

The 99 is still on stock rotors.
Thanks.

Believe it or not, I was on the stock rotors that were 7 years old with 101K miles. They weren't warped at all, but they were pretty scored. I needed new pads so I figured it was probably time for new rotors.

Dave
Old 10-28-2003, 12:27 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Dave, same thing happened with my brembo X-drilled. Sounds like you did it right, they should be fine!
Old 10-29-2003, 09:08 AM

One of the things I was told when breaking in new rotors/pads was to never come to a complete stop. Always down to around 5mph or so....

They are probably fine, but that was what I was told.

*Z32 Brembos, 30mm AL Z32 calipers, Axxis Ultimate pads*