General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NEED HELP, My Maxima is Dying

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

NEED HELP, My Maxima is Dying

My apologies of this has been covered, I looked and didn't see anything relevant.

I have a friend who has a 2000 Maxima SE, 5-speed and she has asked me to help her with a problem. The car dies when you coast up to a red light and let off the gas. It always starts right up again without hesitation. Of course, it doesn't do this when the AC is on because the rpms are sufficiently higher. When sitting in garage at idle, it will idle but then it will eventually slow down and die unless you keep bumping the throttle.

I can hear a slight hissing that would suggest a vacuum leak but I simply cannot find it. Using a plastic tube against my ear I confined the hissing to be just below the black fiberglass intake manifold on the drivers side, in the general vicinity of the 1/2" diameter hose that comes up from what appears to be the PCV check valve and onto the gold piping running across the top of the intake. But I simply cannot locate a leak if there is one. There are no MILs, the plugs are new, the gas is good and the car runs great. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:42 PM

Could be a bad MAF, search around or post in the 5th gen. section to find out more.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Handsome

Originally Posted by jrtexas
My apologies of this has been covered, I looked and didn't see anything relevant.

I have a friend who has a 2000 Maxima SE, 5-speed and she has asked me to help her with a problem. The car dies when you coast up to a red light and let off the gas. It always starts right up again without hesitation. Of course, it doesn't do this when the AC is on because the rpms are sufficiently higher. When sitting in garage at idle, it will idle but then it will eventually slow down and die unless you keep bumping the throttle.

I can hear a slight hissing that would suggest a vacuum leak but I simply cannot find it. Using a plastic tube against my ear I confined the hissing to be just below the black fiberglass intake manifold on the drivers side, in the general vicinity of the 1/2" diameter hose that comes up from what appears to be the PCV check valve and onto the gold piping running across the top of the intake. But I simply cannot locate a leak if there is one. There are no MILs, the plugs are new, the gas is good and the car runs great. Any help would be appreciated.
I think you have found the problem already. A bad MAF sensor would cause the car to die when you pushed on the gas. Take the hose that you suspect off and then put it back on making sure to secure it tightly with a hose clamp (does the original still have this?)

There should be three vaccum lines running to the resonator, have you checked all three of these?
Old 10-29-2003, 09:46 AM

Try cleaning her throttle body. Worked for me.
No bad jokes please!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have the idle bumped up a little bit. If it isn't a vaccuum leak, it could be a problematic sensor, TPS, CTS or MAF.
TK