General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Drag rims/slicks and other drag racing goodies for 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 09:13 PM

The drag strip (cecil county dragway in maryland) opens once again this Friday night after being closed for the season. I might not go this friday just because everybody and their mom and dog are probably going to be there. Anyway, since my last run of 15.1 with only an air cone, I have recently lost the aircone and done with a shopvac ram air setup and as well as a Y pipe. My car is much closer to 60,000 miles this time around (so spark plugs will be at the end of their life.. etc), but I hope that wont make much difference. Anyway, my plans for making the Maxima more drag worthy include getting two rims for the front. I am thinking 15" rims to clear the brake caliper about 8 or 9" wide. I would get tires that are smaller then stock diameter in order to accomodate turning at the end of the 1/4, and to "lower" the gearing ratio. I'd get some DOT slicks so I can still ride around town. Anyway, I need something light and I could care less about the looks at the strip. Anybody have any experience here on mounting wide drag rims on their max? a 4.5x5 lug pattern is pretty standard even for american cars. What should I look for for offset/backspacing, etc.. and how wide can I go? Don in Texas, what do you have? This should also save my street tires from the abuse I usually throw at it up at the track doing burnouts.

Another thing I plan to do, is once I get a receiver style trailer hitch mounted to tow a crotchrocket, is I plan to fabricate wheelie bars that will plug into the trailer hitch receiver. This way, I can have a removeable set of wheelie bars, so I will only put it on up at the track. This way, I can plant all the power of the car into the front slicks cause I am not going to remove the 140 lb subwoofer box that is in my rear trunk (for dB drag racing!).

One more thing that might have been helpful was my engine strap. Except that I removed it because of the increased vibration and noise that I just couldnt stand. It reduced wheel hop and probably improves 60 foot times but its too much of a pain to put back in just for a few runs up at the track.
Old 02-20-2001, 09:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I've heard without.....

"decent" tranny modifications(recaled VB, high stall TC) the drag radials will eat your <b>stock</b> tranny alive!! that what I've heard anyone have any thing to add??? I don't think you wanna put too much traction down on the stock tranny(ie- the "wheelie bar" and drag radials), I'm no tranny expert but thats sounds like some excessive wear and tear for a stock tranny!?
Old 02-20-2001, 09:32 PM

Re: I've heard without.....

Originally posted by DA-MAX
"decent" tranny modifications(recaled VB, high stall TC) the drag radials will eat your <b>stock</b> tranny alive!! that what I've heard anyone have any thing to add??? I don't think you wanna put too much traction down on the stock tranny(ie- the "wheelie bar" and drag radials), I'm no tranny expert but thats sounds like some excessive wear and tear for a stock tranny!?

Clutch disc, maybe... but I do not have a valve body or high stall. I might not do any of this until my stock clutch wears out. By that time, hopefully I will have saved enough money for a crotchrocket, a Quaife LSD (which hopefully be out by then), Centerforce clutch, and lightened flywheel, which all can be put in at the same time.
Old 02-20-2001, 09:36 PM

Aaaahhhhhhh,

Drag Radials won't hurt your car unless your tranny is slipping or has bad drivetrain components to begin with.

15x7, 7.5, 8 at the most. The tires will hook up, any wider would be overkill in my opinion. Slicks are too sticky and would defintely cause problems.

Drag radials are ok, won't hurt a thing.

BTW, The VB modification can only help, never hurt. It will definately keep your tranny living longer if you use drag radials (clutches have a chance to slip under OEM tranny configuration).

Don
Old 02-20-2001, 09:37 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Nevermind about the TC and stuff...

you have a manual, no TC or VB there anyways(should've read your sig, stpooopid me!)
but anyways you might wanna upgrade the tranny like you're saying before you pop on those DRs, I've heard that they <b>REALLY</b> grip like a **** and can be harmful to the stock tranny!!

Originally posted by ericdwong
Originally posted by DA-MAX

Clutch disc, maybe... but I do not have a valve body or high stall. I might not do any of this until my stock clutch wears out. By that time, hopefully I will have saved enough money for a crotchrocket, a Quaife LSD (which hopefully be out by then), Centerforce clutch, and lightened flywheel, which all can be put in at the same time.
Old 02-20-2001, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Aaaahhhhhhh,

Drag Radials won't hurt your car unless your tranny is slipping or has bad drivetrain components to begin with.

15x7, 7.5, 8 at the most. The tires will hook up, any wider would be overkill in my opinion. Slicks are too sticky and would defintely cause problems.

Drag radials are ok, won't hurt a thing.

BTW, The VB modification can only help, never hurt. It will definately keep your tranny living longer if you use drag radials (clutches have a chance to slip under OEM tranny configuration).

Don
Don, what are you running on the front of your car in that picture?
Old 02-20-2001, 11:29 PM
MaxirmaSE

what kind of tranny upgrade's are there?

I was thinking bout that since i got my slicks.
I think i should get a clutch and flwheel soon too.

Old 02-21-2001, 09:16 AM

You can lead them to the water, but you can't make them drink.......You don't have enough power to worry about slicks hurting your drivetrain.

Those wheels are Bogart Custom racing wheels (drag race only) too light to drive on street. They are custom made by Bogart for each car. You just have to give them exact specs on the wheel (about 7 measurements per wheel), they take 50% deposit (about $400), then in 10 weeks when the wheels are ready (mine took 3 months), they get the rest of their money

Easy.