General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Running 10 psi on my 2k Max (Stillen SC)....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 09:41 PM
My 4DSC

Hey guys,

This question goes out to anyone w/ experience on the subject:

With the 2k Stillen supercharger kit that I just ordered...
What will it take for me to *safely* run 9-10 psi daily?
I know I should use the 3.25 pulley...

Does the basic kit provide enough fuel?
Are larger fuel injectors neccessary?
Is my stock ignition sufficient?
Would I benefit by using an intercooler?

Please give your honest opinions & reccomendations.

Thanks In Advance.
---Adam---

Old 02-20-2001, 10:25 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

cant answer all those questions but i can tell you that the stock ignition system is strong enough for boost and more boost. 9-10psi on a blower im not sure if the intercooler would be useful, dont know much on blowers but on a turbo it would be good. Youi'll prolly need to find someone to do the custom fabrications for the intercooler and piping.
Old 02-21-2001, 08:35 AM
My 4DSC

well i can do the intercooler myself...
but if its not neccessary i'm not gonna waste about $500...
so far a couple people have told me its not neccessary until im running about 15psi...
so i'll probably hold off on that...
i've also heard the stock ignition is fine...
so it sounds like my next upgrade will have to be the fuel system...
anyone know if maybe a FPR or injectors are neccessary?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 02-21-2001, 11:25 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=24831

Makes you rethink the whole SC deal, doesn't it?
Old 02-21-2001, 12:22 PM

On a stock ECU'd max you'd probably max out the stock injectors and pump. You should run some 370cc injectors and a Z32TT fuel pump. Next thing is detonation should be your main concern. Since there are no ECU upgrades and no other ignition timing controller's work, you will need to keep tabs on your EGT's.
Old 02-21-2001, 12:25 PM

---its enough for 9-10psi but you should make sure the air/fuel mixtures is 12:1 on top. you can always use a fuel controller or swap out discs int the fmu to tune it.

---imo not worth it for 9-10psi, too much work is involved (need to tune the ecu for it). but you can always use haltech or accel dfi for the tuning (not sure how good it is in max's, since no one has answered that q when i've asked many times)

---like turbomax said...

---email stevechicagosc about this, i don't think its a neccesity yet.
Old 02-21-2001, 05:01 PM

The question is does the 5th gen use bigger injectors than the 4th gens? If not it will be maxed out at 9psi, remember they put down 20-30fwhp more than 4th gens. I believe nissan has the 259cc and then the 370cc injectors for the Z32/Q45. But assuming a fully tuned 5th gen puts down the 20-30hp more than a 4th gen fully tuned it would be around 295-315fwhp. That would take bigger injectors than the 259cc ones (assuming these are what the 5th gens have).

Originally posted by skimax
---its enough for 9-10psi but you should make sure the air/fuel mixtures is 12:1 on top. you can always use a fuel controller or swap out discs int the fmu to tune it.

---imo not worth it for 9-10psi, too much work is involved (need to tune the ecu for it). but you can always use haltech or accel dfi for the tuning (not sure how good it is in max's, since no one has answered that q when i've asked many times)

---like turbomax said...

---email stevechicagosc about this, i don't think its a neccesity yet.
Old 02-21-2001, 07:53 PM

I'm with Nismo

Considering the potential consequences I'de sure want the bigger injectors. The 2K ECU and fuel card programs are awfully untested to mess around.
Old 02-21-2001, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=24831

Makes you rethink the whole SC deal, doesn't it?
Don't you think your post is a little presumptuous? What do you really know about the problem the poster is having with his supercharger? There are many people including myself who are running a V2 with no problems!!
I don't meam to be disrespectable to you, but it makes me angry seeing so many uneducated postings on this forum.
I wish people would put their brain in gear before putting their mouth in drive!!
In answer to the original question, yes you will need bigger injectors, a new ecu program and some type of intercooling to protect your engine. I am presently having the racing version of the ERL aquamist water injection system installed in my car along with the 3.25 pulley.
This will protect the engine from detonation. I am also getting rid of the auxiliary fuel pump that came with the SC and will be using the in tank 300ZXTT pump.
The bottom line is, don't modify with a SC UNLESS YOU DO IT RIGHT!!
Old 02-21-2001, 10:10 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by i30krab
Don't you think your post is a little presumptuous? What do you really know about the problem the poster is having with his supercharger? There are many people including myself who are running a V2 with no problems!!
I don't meam to be disrespectable to you, but it makes me angry seeing so many uneducated postings on this forum.
I wish people would put their brain in gear before putting their mouth in drive!!
What do I know about the problem?!?! Plenty!!! I've been there and I've done that. You know why? Because Jane97SE (my girlfriend) has a V2 SC on her Max. I've been to Stillen twice to get her SC situation sorted out. So if you're calling me uneducated, maybe you should do some research before posting crap like that! I take your post as a personal attack, so it doesn't matter if you put "I don't meam (mean) to be disrespectable to you."

Why don't you name me one person that doesn't have a problem after getting a V2 slapped on their car? I can name a few that has had problems... Jose, 4 Door Skyline (he probably goes by another name), Phil96se, Dman, etc. So <b>you</b> don't have the "V2 curse"... whoopdy-freaking-doo!

By the way, why were your dyno numbers lower than Jane's with all that stuff you have on your car? She pulled 229 at Stillen with a GReddy and SC.

Want to carry on this flame? Your turn...
Old 02-21-2001, 10:36 PM

hi, i plan to run a kirkland electric blower on my car. i also have purchaced the stainless steel brake lines off the internet along with the hands free elastic band cell phone kit.. i was wondering? would it be benificial for me to use splut fire spark plugs, neuspeed wires, a sony amplifier to amplify the power output, and a fields v-tech controller? oh i was also planning to run a manual fuel delivery system made by using the external pump of the supersoaker 2000. i was said that it works best when pumped up prior to a run. i also plan to run the front mount filtration device many hondas have.. what are any of your suggeestions??? THIS IS A SERIOUS POST, PLEASE POST ONLY (ONLYEEEEE AND I MEAN ONLY) IF YOU ARE KNOWLEDGABLE OF MY SET UP. NO super charrger or turbo people owuld understand such "high end" set up.. so please reply if u have a similar set up. i also plan to run water to air intercooler to cool down my AC lines.. is a mixture of 50% alchol and 50% water cool?? i was planning to use either bacardi 151 or absolute vodka.

thanx in advanced for your help.
Old 02-21-2001, 10:38 PM

i'm just watching!
Old 02-21-2001, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by yongjun

i'm just watching!
and spamming.. j/p
Old 02-21-2001, 10:59 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hey Daniel... didn't he get on your case about "not reading his post correctly" or something? Remember the Level 10 prototype thingy? Dude needs to take a chill or something... I respect what he did to his car, but when he attacks me like that I'm not going to hold back.

He's the first person I flamed and hopefully the last...

Hide YJ! Hide!!!
Old 02-21-2001, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Hey Daniel... didn't he get on your case about "not reading his post correctly" or something? Remember the Level 10 prototype thingy? Dude needs to take a chill or something... I respect what he did to his car, but when he attacks me like that I'm not going to hold back.

He's the first person I flamed and hopefully the last...

Hide YJ! Hide!!!
well funny part was he misread my reply to his post.. i wasn't the one that misread his post.. i knew he was doing a prototype and i was trying to give him some input on tryign to make the thing look better before it's final.. oh well.. hahahah

oh and i plan to run porcelin rotors with rubber brake pads to help decrease my stopping distance due to the MASSIVE power gains i would have after the set up.
Old 02-21-2001, 11:22 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

relax Kev,

i was called many bad names by this certain member and many others before when i was doing my turbo setup. Its weird that the excat post can be applied toward themselves but they dont see that and say it about others. Dont trip, we dont hold grudges...heeh next topic...
Old 02-21-2001, 11:31 PM

Hey Kev,

I ordored my SC today V2 baby haha,anyways they faxed me out the papers for me to sign and fax back to them. He still say's he has the SC in stock, I even questioned him and he said it was a rare occasion and got into detail,so I am pretty sure he's got it in stock. The new model Blitz BOV is a different story though,it's back ordored until next Monday. I can't wait to get this bad boy installed{my self} and hope my luck is as good as I30Krab's. BTW be nice he does not hang out here enough to understand your experience and other peoples experiece with SC's and problems,just my$20.
Old 02-22-2001, 06:59 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Hey Kev,

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
relax Kev,

i was called many bad names by this certain member and many others before when i was doing my turbo setup. Its weird that the excat post can be applied toward themselves but they dont see that and say it about others. Dont trip, we dont hold grudges...heeh next topic...
Next... waiting for rebuttal.

Originally posted by emax95
I ordored my SC today V2 baby haha,anyways they faxed me out the papers for me to sign and fax back to them. He still say's he has the SC in stock, I even questioned him and he said it was a rare occasion and got into detail,so I am pretty sure he's got it in stock. The new model Blitz BOV is a different story though,it's back ordored until next Monday. I can't wait to get this bad boy installed{my self} and hope my luck is as good as I30Krab's. BTW be nice he does not hang out here enough to understand your experience and other peoples experiece with SC's and problems,just my$20.
Nice to hear you finally got the papers. I thought the sales person was jerking you around because he didn't give you those waivers when you ordered. The last I've heard, there were one 99 kit and one 00 kit on the shelf. Guess they're going to pull apart the 99 kit and make it 95-98 just for you. Don't you feel special now?

The new Blitz BOV... is that the one with the filter attached to it? I don't understand why a filter is needed when air goes out from that opening.

Be nice to I30krab? He should've done some research before putting me down like that. I was joking with Adam and he comes in with a flame... what am I suppose to do? He's very lucky he doesn't have the V2 curse because once it starts, it won't stop.

BTW, ZTYMax had problems with the bearings and belts on his V2. It's not about installation, it's about the V2.
Old 02-22-2001, 07:10 AM

I am also getting rid of the auxiliary fuel pump that came with the SC and will be using the in tank 300ZXTT pump.
Krab, you can use a Walbro GSS342 fuel pump instead of the TT pump. The Walbro is ~$120 and it will will support enough fuel presure and fuel volume to handle horse power levels inexcess of what the VQ will ever see. It is a direct replacment to the factory pump. No modifications are required. No accessory kit is needed. It will use the factory feed bag and wire harness and hose attachment points. I think to use the TT pump you need to do some slight modifications, but its much more expensive than the Walbro.

My4dsc, What injector duty cycles do the SC set up usually run? If its not too high already, you could use a fuel controller like a Fields AFC or APEXi SAFC to open up the pulse width. I think Steve in Chicago is running ~70psi of fuel pressure. The fuel injectors will lock up at ~85spi, so that leaves ~14psi to go. If you run up the pressure and are lean you can just use an AFC to get some more open time on the factory injectors. If that still dosent get it than get the larger injectors and use the AFC to tune it. An ECU reprogram is probably the best idea but they dont do it for your year Maxima yet. So the AFC is the way to go.

Old 02-22-2001, 10:44 AM

Kev,

True,True your right about him being rued and all I just did not want you to get all worked over it Iaght. As for the Blitz BOV and it's new filter,the filter is there because it makes a really cool sound with the filter I guess. I think it may be adjustable too, I'm not positive though.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:23 AM

I'm actually leaning out the air/fuel ratio

with the fuel controller . I'm at 12.1 or richer during max boost.
The fuel system is fine. No need to put bigger injector or bigger pumps.

Old 02-22-2001, 11:57 AM
BlkCat

After missing the following postings about the SC, put me down as a V2 owner with no problems. Had it installed last Oct., still running fine and all I've got is just a belt that squeals once in a while because of the cold weather.

Old 02-22-2001, 12:48 PM

Re: I'm actually leaning out the air/fuel ratio

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC
with the fuel controller . I'm at 12.1 or richer during max boost.
The fuel system is fine. No need to put bigger injector or bigger pumps.

Do you know your approximate fuel injector duty cycle at WOT/max boost?
Old 02-22-2001, 02:32 PM

An intercooler might not be necessary,

But won't one help no matter how much boost you're running? I mean, the intercooler won't chill the intake charge enough to have a detrimental effect, right? The cooler the air(up to a point), the better(that's why we all get CAIs). But, it might not make enough of a diff in power, especially if you don't need it for the boost level you're running.
Old 02-22-2001, 03:19 PM

You're a real flamer!!

Please don't flame me!!! I can't handle it, Boo Hoo

On a more serious note, Jim Wolf feels that his computer program is not optimized for my car and he wants to change it.
Old 02-22-2001, 03:27 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: You're a real flamer!!

Originally posted by i30krab
Please don't flame me!!! I can't handle it, Boo Hoo
Very classy coming from a supposedly more mature person in retirement, Ron. I stated facts and you come back with that? I'm keeping this very civil, but can go buck-wild on you anytime.

Please do research next time you want to get into a flame with someone.
Old 02-22-2001, 03:30 PM

sing with me if you know the song...
.follows the tune to the Spanish Inquisition from the movie History of the World: Book 1.
Detonation, what a show...
Detonation, what do ya know?!

I would make the necessary precautions of running larger injectors and a bigger fuel pump if you plan on running boost any higher than what Stillen offered the SC with. It's a piece of mind kind of thing. This is coming from a guy who thought running 1 bar on a stock '88 Supra motor until he heard "pop goes the head gasket". Do it smart. Do it safe.
Old 02-22-2001, 03:52 PM

sighh... i wish i was a moderator so i could delete posts, replies, or people, or change the wording of a persons reply to be less offensive.. people these days on the web have no retraint..
Old 02-22-2001, 03:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

Mingo you think those replies were flames? Kinda bad but not even close to some stuff I've seen on Maxima boards.

Originally posted by mingo
sighh... i wish i was a moderator so i could delete posts, replies, or people, or change the wording of a persons reply to be less offensive.. people these days on the web have no retraint..
Old 02-22-2001, 04:27 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Mingo you think those replies were flames? Kinda bad but not even close to some stuff I've seen on Maxima boards.
It can get worse, but I'm keeping it civil... for now.
Old 02-22-2001, 04:38 PM

no i don't consider taht a flame.. well at least not totally.. i was just sayin'... if i could rephrase what a person types on here and catch something that might be mis interpreted then i hope i could so ppl all be happy ya kno?? cuz i'm pretty confident to say most people on here don't mean any harm to one and another. ppl are here to help, however some people need to work on their approaches. (i'm not sayin' i'm perfect at it beacuse i can be a punk every once in a while too) yeah i have read alot of worse flames on this board as well.. but i was just sayin.... if i wanted to be uncivil i'de do it in person.. i don't believe in internet violence tho i was once fell victim to it.
Old 02-22-2001, 05:50 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

This board has gone downhill. It use to be fun to post and ask questions (maybe get a few answers from the members), but now I don't even bother. It makes me sad to see how this board has turned out. All people do here is flame and put others down when it isn't even necessary. I'm ashamed to even have the max.org sticker on my car...

Those who didn't have any problems with the V2 are very lucky. I wish I was that lucky when I bought mine. If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited...

BTW, most people on the board do NOT know what really happened with myself and Stillen.
Old 02-22-2001, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Jane97SE
This board has gone downhill. It use to be fun to post and ask questions (maybe get a few answers from the members), but now I don't even bother. It makes me sad to see how this board has turned out. All people do here is flame and put others down when it isn't even necessary. I'm ashamed to even have the max.org sticker on my car...

Those who didn't have any problems with the V2 are very lucky. I wish I was that lucky when I bought mine. If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited...

BTW, most people on the board do NOT know what really happened with myself and Stillen.
hey jane u wanna try to stick that filter thingy they were talking about in your bov??? make a cool pshhhhhhheeee sound hahaha.. i wouldn't mind putting that in for u if it's possible..
Old 02-23-2001, 04:12 PM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by Jane97SE
I agree 100%. That is why you see I havent joined back in on this thread in a while. From now on I will just stick to email. I've gotten alot of useful info from the more knowledgeable people on this board via email and I can do so without the flaming. Thank You to everyone I've emailed regarding this. You didnt have to take time out of your day to help me, but you did. (you know who you are).
I'm so fed up with how immature some people on here can be (and of course the speed of the board and error codes is also quite annoying)...
... so I wont be posting here anymore (again).

See ya'al in I.M. land or emails!

---Adam---