General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Worst day of my life...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 02:26 PM

Worst day of my life...

Today I was leaving school and got into an accident...to make a long story short the guy in front of me was braking and did it suddenly, I hit him while braking and turned the wheel to try and not hit him. Passenger side corner of my car is ruined- headlight gone, bumper cracked, fender gone, hood gone etc...Now as far as his car it was a new altima with only the rear bumper scraped with a small crack but nothing major...I think his bumper support went right into my car...

Now the worst thing about this is the car I hit also hit the car in front of him...the car he hit did not have any damage and the guy stuck around to get info etc...Basically I am now worried the most about getting sued for all of this, and worst thing is the person I was with just told me they are now experiencing "neck pains"....which shows even the people you know or are friends with will do anything to get $...Car is hopefully getting appraised on Monday and work getting started early next week as well...Right now all I have on my mind is people suing for this, since I know how quick people will jump to make an easy dollar....This day just sucks...I think seeing the HID smashed almost made me cry...
Old 11-07-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

That is what insurance is for.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:30 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

If he sues you, your insurance company will take care of it.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:32 PM

I am still not really knowledgeable about the whole insurance thing...I'm only 18 and this is my first real mis-hap...no tickets etc...I mean a few months ago a lady rear ended me in my moms car but I went through her insurance and didn't go through the suing thing etc...Right now my parents are mainly dealing with all of this...Hopefully it won't take too long at least for the maxi to be on the road again...and all of this is taken care of soon...
Old 11-07-2003, 02:38 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Did this guy complain of any headaches or neck problems after the accident? Just be patient and cool about it, I'm sure everything will be ok.

by the way, sorry about your Max
Old 11-07-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

Personally, if this is the worst thing that has happened to you, you should consider yourself blessed.

I recommend you get involved with the process of filing the accident report, contacting the insurance company etc... You will learn alot and will be better prepared for the next time. Because there will be a next time.

I guess you will be leaving more space inbetween your car and the car infront of you from now on also.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:41 PM

Honestly I don't think it was a matter of space...I honestly keep replaying it in my mind and can't think of the whole thing exactly as it happened...but yes I am getting involved in taking care of all of this now....and no one complained about any pains etc but my insurance agent said people have up to a year to take action if any problems were caused from an accident...I will admit this is not that bad, as in the past I would have been killed if things went differently in my vehicle or other peoples cars...but still puts a dent on things for a while...
Old 11-07-2003, 02:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Uh, if you hit the guy in front of you, you were either:

1) Too close
2) Not paying attention

In theory, the guy in front of you could smash in his/her brakes at any time and you should have enough room to slow down. That's why when it rains/snows, you have to increase the braking distance by 3-4x. In 99.9% off the time, if you hit the person in front of you, you are placed at fault. Period
Old 11-07-2003, 02:48 PM

I know...I am not going to say I wasn't at fault...but if it does make a difference my pads are shot, rotors are warped and the craptenza tires just caused the car to skid into the other guy...either way I know what I did and shouldv'e been more careful...
Old 11-07-2003, 02:57 PM

Insurance is good, your all set.. everyone has their bad days
Old 11-07-2003, 04:23 PM

Sorry about the accident, insurance will take care of it... Don't worry about people suing or anything like that. Although you should be worried about your new super-high insurance premiums.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn that blows, i hate when ish like this happens. Good luck with repairs
Old 11-07-2003, 04:41 PM

Honestly I originally was going to school for pre-law but decided there were too many lawyers and people going to law school...but things like this are more motivation along with other instance in life to become a lawyer and fock people who try to take advantage of others...
Old 11-07-2003, 04:44 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by maximaracer28
I know...I am not going to say I wasn't at fault...but if it does make a difference my pads are shot, rotors are warped and the craptenza tires just caused the car to skid into the other guy...either way I know what I did and shouldv'e been more careful...
by saying "my pads are shot, rotors are warped and the craptenza tires just caused the car to skid" you're saying "I wasn't at fault."

You rear-ended, you're at fault. Stop deflecting the blame.

And you REALLY should get involved in the paperwork side. Your parents are not doing you any favors by doing it all for you.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by maximaracer28
Honestly I originally was going to school for pre-law but decided there were too many lawyers and people going to law school...but things like this are more motivation along with other instance in life to become a lawyer and fock people who try to take advantage of others...

Another NB d00d? Damn you guys pop up like flies! Well Maxima Rider, Im in the area, and if you need any help at all, Drop me a Pm, email, or hit me on aim (gbmaxse) I would be happy to help out.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I dont think you need to worry about the guy that was in front of the guy you hit. I say this because there should be a certain amount of space in between cars and if you hit the guy in front of you at a slow pace(im guessing) then that guy should have had a safe distance between his car and the guy in front of him even if you did hit his car he should have enough time and space in between the car in front of him to not hit him. Hope that made sense

Stinks that you hit him but like everyone said thats what insurance is for. Live and learn.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:35 PM

No I understand...I told the cop that if the 1st car got hit that means the 2nd car may have been close and she said no thats not possible...anyways I am not blaming my tires etc and didnt mean to say it like that; but I am just saying they didn't help when the car was skidding into the car I hit...but like I said it happened and its done...now just need to ride this out...
Old 11-07-2003, 05:44 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Kevincleff
I dont think you need to worry about the guy that was in front of the guy you hit. I say this because there should be a certain amount of space in between cars and if you hit the guy in front of you at a slow pace(im guessing) then that guy should have had a safe distance between his car and the guy in front of him even if you did hit his car he should have enough time and space in between the car in front of him to not hit him. Hope that made sense
if he hit a car then he caused the accident between that car and the one in front of it... that's just common sense. Don't get his hopes up falsely.

maximaracer28, it's not going to be as bad as it seems right now... just keep an eye on the system as it works its way through and make sure nobody, even that "friend", screws your insurance company and you.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
if he hit a car then he caused the accident between that car and the one in front of it... that's just common sense. Don't get his hopes up falsely.

maximaracer28, it's not going to be as bad as it seems right now... just keep an eye on the system as it works its way through and make sure nobody, even that "friend", screws your insurance company and you.

My sig might say I'm a newbie, or what the hell ever it says; but I used to view this site back in the day, (2000) and this has to be the dumbest thread I think I've seen. His life is sooo ruined at the ripe age of 18, hell he'll probably have to go to prison for a couple of years.-------Just my 2sense
Old 11-08-2003, 06:13 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nooten
My sig might say I'm a newbie, or what the hell ever it says; but I used to view this site back in the day, (2000) and this has to be the dumbest thread I think I've seen. His life is sooo ruined at the ripe age of 18, hell he'll probably have to go to prison for a couple of years.-------Just my 2sense

Why would he have to go to prison?? It's a traffic accident, for goodness sakes... not a murder. Last time I checked, unless a fatality was involved, those are misdemeanors. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll just STFU.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:25 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Why would he have to go to prison?? It's a traffic accident, for goodness sakes... not a murder. Last time I checked, unless a fatality was involved, those are misdemeanors. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll just STFU.
I think he was trying for sarcasm... it didn't work.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:29 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
I think he was trying for sarcasm... it didn't work.
Yeah... at least with ME it didn't.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Yeah... at least with ME it didn't.
I guess what I'm tryin to say is that I miss the days when people wrote about the "problems" they had with the max. This is precisley (SP) the reason I never post sheet, and also some "holier than thou" person decided to put the crap "needs to use the search......." after my sig when I spent 2 hours using the function with no resolution. I'm not bitter, I swear.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:10 AM

Nooten wtf are you talking about? I have been on this board for almost 3 years and even though lately I haven't been posting because of school etc. doesn't mean your any better a member than me...if you miss the old days then maybe you should be searching the org archives and live in the past...Posting sarcastic, stupid posts doesn't help with people "writing about their problems"...
Old 11-08-2003, 07:27 AM
Sports Button FTW

doesnt insurance have a maximum of what they'll give out when getting sued? there's 3 parties to worry bout here. Your friend, and the two cars. It sounds like a small accident, especially since no air bags went off, and the other cars sustained very minor damages. This is a weak accident, you should have seen what i went through, luckily it wasnt my fault. I hope for the best but dont be surprised if the other parties complain about neck pain in the next few days. Sometimes it kicks in later because of shock and also they may talk to the wrong person that may make them try to sue you. Thats the United States for ya. Sorry u have to go through this. Check with your insurance company the maximum they'll cover you when getting sued. I really think there's a limit depending on what type of insurance you have.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Uh, if you hit the guy in front of you, you were either:

1) Too close
2) Not paying attention

In theory, the guy in front of you could smash in his/her brakes at any time and you should have enough room to slow down. That's why when it rains/snows, you have to increase the braking distance by 3-4x. In 99.9% off the time, if you hit the person in front of you, you are placed at fault. Period

Brakes shot, rotors warped, bald tires, and no ABS is not an excuse either. If your car is in that poor of repair then you ought to:

1) get it fixed
2) leave even MORE distance in front of you for braking.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your car, but these types of accidents are preventable.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:51 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Personally, if this is the worst thing that has happened to you, you should consider yourself blessed.
seriously there is so much worse that could have happened to u, consider urself lucky, i just recently lost a family member and i would much much rather have hit my car somewhere or had it stolen then loose this family member, but it happened, and THAT is and always will be the worst day/time of my life