General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

wierd tranny problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 10:12 PM

i turned the car on today and let it warm up for a minute or so...then when i put it in D and gave it a little gas...it didnt seem like it grabed the gear and when i accelerated..it moved forward extremly slowly..like someone was pushing the car from behind..anyways..i put it back in P and then back into D and was off..driving down the street like normal. It shifted funny just cause it was kinda cold but when i got onto the 40MPH street..i noticed that the thing would not shift into 3rd gear..i turn ON the OD and still nothing..i was like this is really wierd..i have never seen my max do this..i pull over and turn the car off and then on again...i needed to be at my grandmothers (where i was going) house ASAP so i said forget it.ill just drive down there using only 1-2 gears. so im driving down the street at about 30MPH with the RPM's slightly high..and the OD was OFF..then all of a sudden...it drops into 3rd..BIG TIME RELIF!! this happen to anyone ever?? thanks for reading!
Old 02-22-2001, 10:29 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

sounds like "safe mode" or.......

"cold mode" sometimes when the tranny is cold the computer locks up in 3rd gear until the tranny warms up and you have to restsrt the car and everything should be fine, no biggie and no worries.
<b>BUT</b> if that continues to happen day after day, then you know whats happening, an all to common problem I've been through 3 times, take a guess.................not rying to scare you just keepig real!

Originally posted by Andrew91SE
i turned the car on today and let it warm up for a minute or so...then when i put it in D and gave it a little gas...it didnt seem like it grabed the gear and when i accelerated..it moved forward extremly slowly..like someone was pushing the car from behind..anyways..i put it back in P and then back into D and was off..driving down the street like normal. It shifted funny just cause it was kinda cold but when i got onto the 40MPH street..i noticed that the thing would not shift into 3rd gear..i turn ON the OD and still nothing..i was like this is really wierd..i have never seen my max do this..i pull over and turn the car off and then on again...i needed to be at my grandmothers (where i was going) house ASAP so i said forget it.ill just drive down there using only 1-2 gears. so im driving down the street at about 30MPH with the RPM's slightly high..and the OD was OFF..then all of a sudden...it drops into 3rd..BIG TIME RELIF!! this happen to anyone ever?? thanks for reading!