General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RWD Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 08:04 PM

RWD Maxima

Will we ever see one in the USA? It seems the new Maxima in Australia is based on the G35. Guess we would have to buy a G35 instead if we want RWD in the USA..

I forgot... Nissan gave us the 155hp 240SX instead of the 200+hp turbo in the rest of the world. I guess the Skyline is wishfull thinking also...
Old 11-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Lightly modded

what?

the skyline is coming here in 2007 i think. in america, the 2004 max is "sorta" based on the G35. i think they both use the FM platform.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
what?

the skyline is coming here in 2007 i think. in america, the 2004 max is "sorta" based on the G35. i think they both use the FM platform.
The 2004 is more like a luxo Altima with FWD. We need a real Max here in the US..
Old 11-22-2003, 08:31 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Wulf
Will we ever see one in the USA?
Next year we'll see one
Old 11-22-2003, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by maximadave
Next year we'll see one

Truth or fiction?????

I MUST KNOW!
Old 11-22-2003, 09:26 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg
Truth or fiction?????

I MUST KNOW!
You will never seen a RWD Maxima. Maybe an AWD but not a RWD.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:30 PM

It'll get here one day, together with the Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R that is priced below the 350Z..
Old 11-23-2003, 12:37 AM

Oh, for sure they will make it here... to the autoshows, but that's about all. If there only was a 6spd AWD Maxima... otherwise G35 outperforms the current Max and that is not good
Old 11-23-2003, 01:25 AM

We'll see about that, since I have close ties with a friend who works for Nissan, N.A in CA. I'm becoming a loud mouth about the current Maxima. Yet no RWD which I have been longing for one so it can go head to head with MB, BMW and even Lexus.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:33 AM

Will we ever see one in the USA? It seems the new Maxima in Australia is based on the G35. Guess we would have to buy a G35 instead if we want RWD in the USA..

I forgot... Nissan gave us the 155hp 240SX instead of the 200+hp turbo in the rest of the world. I guess the Skyline is wishfull thinking also...
Well, do you want the Maxima to fundamentally change? For the last 9 1/2 years we've been hearing words like "wonderful engine" and "too much power for too little suspension" when critics drive the Maxima. Now, with the 2k4 you hear comments like to the extent that it is a never-ending battle with the steering wheel, which never lets you forget that it's a FWD car.

It is not expensive nowadays to go from xWD to AWD, so it would not surpise me if Maxima came out with AWD. But that will not fundamentally change the way the car drives, it will still be predominantly FWD under normal driving conditions, so that will not give what people on the forum are looking for. That's why the WRX kicks its butt 6 ways to sundown--WRX is basically a RWD car that's been given AWD.

Every Nissan seems to have an achilles heel--again, G35 is good enough to be considered on the the best, but they let it slide on its plasticky Altima-quality interior. So to answer your question, though there's an expression never say never, say it to Maxima.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:01 AM

Actually, you can disable the AWD on Subie's which leaves them FWD. And anytime you're moving at decent speed it goes to a big FWD bias. Lancer Evo's are the same way. Though they have longitudinally mounted engines and transmissions, the car's basic layout is FWD w/ an added electronic diff and propshaft but electronic controls keep power flowing back all the time. In horizontally opposed engines like the Max, there's the Lancer Evo for benchmarking how an AWD system should be done. In contrast, Honda's CRV setup is just a FWD until the fronts break loose and the computer connects the tiny rear diff.

Nissan already has the R&D done for AWD in the Murano and it could probably get away with the same tranny setup but possibly in automatic only. Never understood why it was so difficult considering German manufacturers managed to put AWD in almost all of their model lines with existing cars never designed for it (ie Benz's 4matic S-Class and BMW 3 series Xi). The biggest reason a Maxima would still handle like a FWD is the large front weight bias which plagues the Audi RS6 even though it's a twin turbo V8 w/ an effective AWD system (though only auto). Doesn't keep the car from launching like a missile and hauling through the turns though. Just need some good suspension tuning to keep the car from understeering through everything.

If you're really wanting a RWD Max...buy a G35 and the Maxima emblem from your local Nissan dealer. Combine the two and there you go. Quite honestly, you Nissan afficionados are lucky. There are plenty of ways to get RWD, AWD and sporty cars/luxury cars within the 30k range all w/ variants of the VQ engine so it's known variable. I mean no one else sticks w/ one particular model in a company...they go w/ what suits their budget and driving style. If you want RWD and room go G35, style and some room G35 coupe, performance 350Z, performance and allweather traction G35X, and to be completely weird FX35.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mishap
Actually, you can disable the AWD on Subie's which leaves them FWD. And anytime you're moving at decent speed it goes to a big FWD bias. Lancer Evo's are the same way. Though they have longitudinally mounted engines and transmissions, the car's basic layout is FWD w/ an added electronic diff and propshaft but electronic controls keep power flowing back all the time.
It's totally the opposite from what you say on the WRX, imho.

Driver Control Center Differential (DCCD). System features an manual override mode that allows the driver to set the front-to-rear torque split. Up to 65% of the torque can be sent to the back
Limited-slip
all-wheel-drive

65% of the torque to the back
Old 11-23-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

I think that's different than bmw / mercedes that default the power to the rear. If their systems sense slip, it starts transfering it forward

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine

Driver Control Center Differential (DCCD). System features an manual override mode that allows the driver to set the front-to-rear torque split. Up to 65% of the torque can be sent to the back
Limited-slip
all-wheel-drive

65% of the torque to the back
Old 11-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

want RWD - get older Infinity Q45 !!!
Old 11-23-2003, 01:32 PM
mod or sell?

Want a RWD max buy a 1st GEN!
Subies are a RWD design that was modified for FWD / AWD
don't believe me?
Look at the engine / trans layout.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do a swap:
Old 11-23-2003, 02:00 PM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by clee130
Do a swap:
WOW! how did you do that? how much did it cost?
Old 11-23-2003, 02:12 PM

Get an Infiniti J30

VQ, RWD.... its just ugly

Originally Posted by nick
want RWD - get older Infinity Q45 !!!
Old 11-23-2003, 02:17 PM

Do a swap:
Old 11-23-2003, 02:22 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Do a swap:
SWEET!!!!! That must be the new Stillen RWD swap kit for the 95-99 Maxima(part number 503401)
Old 11-23-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Get an Infiniti J30

Whoa, back the truck up. rwd affects looks?

Three words no Maxima driver experiences daily, be it 2nd through 6th gen:

POWER ON OVERSTEER

That includes fake HID's, body kits, one-piece headlamps, intakes, exhausts, superchargers, whatever. C'mon now, at 190/205 the Maxima hops and the steering wheel fights. 265 hp doesn't cure it.

The 325xi is a 65 rear, 35 front, fyi.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Want a RWD max buy a 1st GEN!
Subies are a RWD design that was modified for FWD / AWD
don't believe me?
Look at the engine / trans layout.
Take a peek in an Audi...They all have longitudinal engines and plenty of them are FWD. Chrysler LH series have longitudinal engines and all of them are FWD. Subaru even gives directions for pulling the fuse to make them FWD when towing and people used to do that before AWD dynos were popular. This is different from BMW's and Benz's that run almost completely RWD until something slips. Don't believe me...understand something about the history of AWD before trying to prove me wrong.

Once again though, FWD basis just means the car's chassis is based around a FWD design which is the evolution of Subaru's FWD econo car roots in the 60's. Subaru's entire product line started from FWD longitudinal mounted boxer engine cars. Frank's post basically proves it too...You can only push 65% torque to the rear wheels. the RWD based AWD systems usually can go as high as 90-100%. Doesn't mean you can't build a good handling FWD based AWD car though.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

This is the new Aussie Maxima:

It is still FWD.

Check out www.nissan.com.au for details...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:27 PM

Whoa, back the truck up. rwd affects looks? .
Now your way ahead of yourself I said its ugly.... it just is, the back end looks like a beetle mated with an audi tt. So I have no idea how you got the thought that RWD affects looks.

All my previous cars have been RWD. My max is the first FWD and Auto that I've ever owned. Is it fast? Yes without a doubt. But not as FUN as a RWD 5 Speed. Power on oversteer is fun as hell on the twisties, but some of us fail to realize the type of money that would go into a RWD maxima. Even if someone does do it, theres the problem of fine tuning the suspension so you can actually power on oversteer and controlling front and rear weight bias so you can actually turn without under or oversteering. With that type of money being put into such a project I'd rather buy a G35
Old 11-23-2003, 11:16 PM

The Skyline is here, isn't it? The G35?
Old 11-24-2003, 12:01 AM

wow the Aussie Maxima looks way better than the Maxima here in the U.S. I wonder why Nissan didn't take the chance on bring that look in instead of that buck tooth grille.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:13 AM
Very sound, Mike

Just chiming in with some facts:

The Australian Maxima is based on the Nissan Teana.

The "real" Maxima to us here in the US is the Infiniti I35.

The G35 is the Skyline in the US. The GT-R is now a different model/line-up unlike before where it was just a performance badge for the higher-end Skyline.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by soundmike

The "real" Maxima to us here in the US is the Infiniti I35.
Not anymore.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by maximadave
You will never seen a RWD Maxima. Maybe an AWD but not a RWD.
Nobody has mentioned the weight factor. I like the fact that I feel safe in my car, and imo, it's sized just right. With 1/4 tank of gas 5th gen Auto weighs a tad over 3300 lbs, minus driver. Its probably safe to assume the 6th gens are a little heavier than the 5th gens...

Using 5th gens as a base of reference, if you were to institute an AWD system, that 3300 becomes AT LEAST 3500 lbs...Maximas arent exactly the nimblest of cars, adding another 200 lbs is not good at all.

I did a quick lookup on one of our competitors, the A6 3.0. Below you will find a link so you can see effect of conventional 2wd and AWD on the weight of the car.

http://edmunds.com/used/2002/audi/a6...denav..6.Audi*

http://edmunds.com/used/2002/audi/a6...denav..6.Audi*

You guys still want a factory awd system on the next gen Max ???
Old 11-24-2003, 07:34 AM
Very sound, Mike

I think a better reference of how much more weight the AWD system will add to the Max is the Murano (same platform as the Alt/Max).

A 2WD Murano weighs in at 3806lbs. and the AWD version tips the scales at 3960 - a difference of 154lbs.

Can't be that bad. Some guys here put on heavy 19" and 20" wheels as well as heavy sound equipment that dwarfs that 154lbs. difference.

Then again, it's all about preference. If Nissan can offer at least the option to have AWD that would be good for the people who really need it.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by mzmtg
Not anymore.
Not anymore... soon. But for now, it still is
Old 11-24-2003, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Get an Infiniti J30

The J30 is VG30de powered.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
wow the Aussie Maxima looks way better than the Maxima here in the U.S. I wonder why Nissan didn't take the chance on bring that look in instead of that buck tooth grille.
Probably because Nissan already makes the Altima in the USA so it would be more cost-effective for them to make a Maxima based on the Altima. The Altima is not sold in Australia so it's cheaper for them to sell the G35 as a Maxima and ship them straight from the factory in Japan.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Very sound, Mike

to sell the G35 as a Maxima and ship them straight from the factory in Japan.
The G35 is not rebranded as a Maxima in Australia.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike
The G35 is not rebranded as a Maxima in Australia.
I assumed that it was a rebranded G35 because the exterior looked very similar. It sure is a much nicer interior than the US Maxima or G35.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:47 AM

stop *****ing about Maxima being not what you want. Some regret that it is not a Subaru, some compare it to Evo. Maxima is not a sports car, it will never run 12 sec in a 1/4 stock, nor it will have a razor sharp handling. Read this one again: Maxima is a premium mid-size passenger vehicle, to haul passengers and groceries in a comfort. "If would have then should have" then trade your cars for Civics and stop whining.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Limited-slip
all-wheel-drive

Ahh yes, Grasshoppa, but are you talking about the WRX STi or just the WRX? Only the STi has the DCCD. There are three different AWD systems used on the WRX (auto, manual) and WRX STi. The WRX with the 5 speed can run up to a 50/50 split. The 5 speed system is a mechanical transfer system setup. A WRX with auto (4EAT tranny) can go up to a 45/55 split. The 4EAT AWD is far more complex than the 5 speeds and uses a electronic fully variable AWD. The 6 speed STi tranny shares some of the 4EATs AWD design with an electronic transfer differential. The STi can spilt torque up to 35/65.

Like others have said, this is still a FWD layout with a AWD setup. The auto WRX and STi are a bit different because it's pretty rare to see a FWD-based AWD able to send a majority of it's torque to the rear.

Dave
Old 11-24-2003, 02:59 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I think they made a RWD maxima in the early 80's. You should have bought it then.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:12 PM

the aussie maxima is F'n Ugly...
Old 11-24-2003, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Ahh yes, Grasshoppa, but are you talking about the WRX STi or just the WRX? Only the STi has the DCCD. There are three different AWD systems used on the WRX (auto, manual) and WRX STi. The WRX with the 5 speed can run up to a 50/50 split. The 5 speed system is a mechanical transfer system setup. A WRX with auto (4EAT tranny) can go up to a 45/55 split. The 4EAT AWD is far more complex than the 5 speeds and uses a electronic fully variable AWD. The 6 speed STi tranny shares some of the 4EATs AWD design with an electronic transfer differential. The STi can spilt torque up to 35/65.

Like others have said, this is still a FWD layout with a AWD setup. The auto WRX and STi are a bit different because it's pretty rare to see a FWD-based AWD able to send a majority of it's torque to the rear.

Dave
I dunno, it's starting to get very gray. A 325ix does 65% to the rear. A WRX does the same but is a FWD car. So then, how do they behave? WRX severely understeers like a Maxima despite 65% to the rear, or does a Subaru have to respect physics as much as a Kia?

An interesting question is would you prefer RWD or AWD, if you lived in FLA or Souther n Cali? I'm gonna say RWD, though I have never owned an AWD car (have had the former and with 4 snow tires it was fine in snow).

What's got me swinging more is the SMG tranny. My aunt has it though I've never seen or driven her car since she's in San Fran. That and adaptive bi-xenon is what I want in my next car. Question is can I start setting aside that money today for the next 12-18 mos or is it as Ross Perot says, that giant suc**** sound??

Quick Reply: RWD Maxima