General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Almost crashed the Max

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:02 AM
SLOW

Almost crashed the Max

On the way to class this morning, first snow of the year. It's not accumulating on the roads as it hasn't been below freezing yet this year until today. I'm on utterly bald Toyo Proxes T1-S. The roads and freeway were fine, but there is one bridge on the freeway on my way to class and I almost lost it. As you know, bridges always freeze first because they don't have the heat from the ground to keep them warm. I started drifting, tried to correct and felt it starting to get crossed up, so I just let it go onto the shoulder, I went about halfway onto the shoulder and then finally the bridge ended and I was able to correct it back and I was perfectly fine the rest of the way. The bridge was probably only 75 feet long and that fact is what saved me. Had the bridge been 150-200 feet long i would have either been into the wall, or had to try to correct to avoid the wall and spun the car in the middle of the highway.

It was scary. I've been in some major wrecks before and the feeling of having no control over your vehicle is the worst feeling in the world. Luckily I made it through. BTW I just bought a new set of Dunlop Graspic DS1 snow tires saturday but had held off on putting them on the car because its been so warm lately and today was the only day its supposed to be cold in the next 10 days. You can be sure I'll be putting them on before the next time it is supposed to drop below freezing. Stay safe everyone.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
It was scary. I've been in some major wrecks before and the feeling of having no control over your vehicle is the worst feeling in the world.
Yeah, loss of control/traction is as bad as it gets. The imminent feel of a collision is scarier than hell. Take this second chance and get those tires put on. Good you weren't hurt or anything.

Here in Chicago, we already got our first snowfall (not significant) and roads were already iced over. Roads are slick here in upper midwest. Be safe all.

p.s. happier than pig in s**t with the new Sumi HTR+'s. Impotenzas have been off the car, no floaty feeling anymore, no fear of driving in bad weather.

Fernando
Old 11-24-2003, 10:09 AM
OG and counting...

Neal, I know how you feel. I have had that twice with two of my father's Mark VII LSCs. One of the times, I spun out on I-57 and almost hit the guard rail (Car stopped within inches of the rear sliding into the guard rail). The second time, I hit some black ice and almost creamed the front end of the car. Luckily, it was only a $110 foglight that got damaged.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's these times when its good to keep an indoor/outdoor thermometer in the car so you'll know when the road is about to freeze.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:26 AM

I'm ordering new tires this week...getting rid of the sh!tty stock potenzas...I'm afraid of driving on them in slightly wet roads at 30mph let alone snow
Old 11-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Sports Button FTW

all this time i thought u were in NY Neal, when u said snow, i was like WTF because this whole weekend including today has been very warm. We're getting like high 50's to mid 60's degree weather here.

Glad all it did was fright u and not more. Bad tires?? What good is a big brake kit with bad tires?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximaracer28
I'm ordering new tires this week...getting rid of the sh!tty stock potenzas...I'm afraid of driving on them in slightly wet roads at 30mph let alone snow
Best thing you do, I just switched mine over a few days ago as well. I switched over to Michelin Pilot Sport and it's like night and day, the tires grips so much more on curves and the car feels significantly more stable at higher speeds.