General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ticket Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 02:06 PM

Well, about a month ago I got a ticket for running a red light. It was yellow damint. Anyway, I have to go to court monday and someone was talking about timing the yellow compated to others on the street. Someone also said a good thing to do is call like an hour before you go to court and say you have the flu, ****s, etc. And try to get another date. I guess you have a better chance of the cop not showing up for a second date or something like that. Anyone else know of any tricks? Also, is traffic school any help or take any place in this case?
Thanks
RB
Old 02-26-2001, 04:35 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I actually had someone send be something on getting a ticket and how to ensure that you don't get any points taken off. If I'm not mistaken, they said to pay the fine with a check, mail it in, but write the check out for a couple of dollars OVER what you owe (i.e., if the fine is $35, then write the check out for $37). The state is obligated to send you the difference back in the form of a check.

Now from what it said, the state will not post any points or anything until you deposit or cash the check that they have sent you. I'll have to find the letter that was sent to me, and please be aware that I'm not condoning this AT ALL!!
Old 02-26-2001, 05:44 AM

That check scam is an urban legend. Even if it is true, one of two things will happen.

1) 1 year after (or 6 months in some cases) the check expires, the transaction goes through.

2) you have a whackload of tickets and they decide to clean up the system, you get 15-20-30-50 demerit points and wham, your licence is gone and you are uninsurable.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.