General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

need help choosing tires

Old 02-26-2001, 01:26 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

im posting this on other forums also, but i really need help quick finding a new set 'o rubbers for the 130t.

my mom blew out her front passenger tire this morning (1997 i30t w/ them perty bbs'), and since it's time to replace all four tires anyways, i need your advice on which ones to get. the ones currently on are P215/60R15 93H. i really dont want to go low profile on these tires since my mom is driving this car and she likes to park witht he bumper over the curb. i need tires that will last since i will be going off to college soon, and i dont want to have to worry about the tires on the car when im gone. what is a good brand / model in this size? should i go for V rated tires, or do they not last as long as H rated tires?

thanks for your help, and sorry for any stupid questions.
Old 02-26-2001, 01:44 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

2 good choices

Originally posted by MaximaZero
im posting this on other forums also, but i really need help quick finding a new set 'o rubbers for the 130t.

my mom blew out her front passenger tire this morning (1997 i30t w/ them perty bbs'), and since it's time to replace all four tires anyways, i need your advice on which ones to get. the ones currently on are P215/60R15 93H. i really dont want to go low profile on these tires since my mom is driving this car and she likes to park witht he bumper over the curb. i need tires that will last since i will be going off to college soon, and i dont want to have to worry about the tires on the car when im gone. what is a good brand / model in this size? should i go for V rated tires, or do they not last as long as H rated tires?

For 'sportier' handling: Bridgestone RE930, $64 at TireRack. No personal experience, but they have a good rep around here.

For more of a Michelin-type ride and slightly longer treadlife: BFGoodrich Comp T/A HR-4-2, $59 at TireRack. Good experience on them with a previous Max owned by my dad. Decent, but not particularly sporty. Basically did everything well when asked.
Old 02-26-2001, 01:48 PM

a good brand

I have had the bridgeston re930--and for the price they are excellent performers both in the rain, snow, and dry. They are pretty cheap for that price and handle very well. I also can say that the firestone sh30 is also very nice--
But given that they are both made by the same company and all, I'd go with the re930 from bridgestone.

The firestone sh30 is better in the wet (see the tirerack rating) and has a longer treadlife (400 vs. 300).

Originally posted by MaximaZero

Old 02-26-2001, 03:17 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

ok ive narrowed my choices down to:

yokohama avid h4
pirelli p4000
dunlop D60A2

which should i go for?