General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Update on my suspension problem->

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 09:02 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

After looking at the front strut assembly some more, I now understand what the strut bearing does. When you turn the steering wheel to the extreme right or left, the whole strut assembly suppose to pivote/rotate on the bearing. The whole strut assembly includes the upper isolator, the spring and the strut. This is what's happening on my passenger side strut assembly. When I turn the steering wheel, the top/upper isolator is not pivoting. The lower part has to pivot because it's attached to the steering knockle. Since the top is not pivoting, the spring itslef is rotating instead. Everytime the spring moves, it makes a clunking sound. Now, I wonder if it's the bearing that's seizing or is something else is interfering with it ie Stillen Camber plate. The bearing is just a piece of plastic, so I don't know how that could go bad.
Old 02-28-2001, 09:29 AM

i remember reading in SCC

that the stillen camber plates will increase the noise level of the suspension, but i don't think the springs are supposed to rotate. don't you have camber bolts? i used camber bolts with the same setup and it worked fine.

anyways good luck.