General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

experience w/ Phoenix Remanufactured Trans.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 07:24 AM

experience w/ Phoenix Remanufactured Trans.

anyone delt with these guys before? if you haven't, stay away from them... they have only been a nightmare for me. their customer service is terrible... they never answer emails or voicemails... they screwed up my order so that it took 2 weeks longer to recieve my transmission than it should have... and to top it off... i decided to start on the swap last night... got my old tranny out and realized that the new one was not a 4th gen tranny. it looks a little similar, so i'm thinking its a 3rd gen tranny. so now my car is up on jack stands in the garage w/ no tranny... and its Sunday w/ Christmas coming up. i am so ****ed right now... and with my luck it will be the week after Christmas before those bastards get my tranny to me. wouldn't you expect a little better service after spending over $1000?
sorry, just venting, but i'm just SOL now.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:19 AM

Sorry to hear that, it sucks. Why don't you put your tranny back in for now so you can still drive your car? Definitely beats a werk or two of downtime...

See if they'll refund your money, and then get a tranny from a junkyard on www.car-part.com. You can find a 2k-2k1 5-speed tranny with low miles for around $600, and it will fit in your 4th gen without a problem. If you have problems with this company now, you know you'll have more in the future.

-Tony
Old 12-21-2003, 11:05 AM

I've heard that you gotta watch that company, crappy customer service and all like you said. Sorry to hear the bad news.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:53 PM

well, i'm going to demand they overnight me a correct trans. tomorrow... or i will get my money back. otherwise, my uncle lives in Phoenix, and he said he'd pay a visit to them to put a fire under their a$$.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:54 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Sorry Jon. I've heard nothing but bad things about that company too. MadMax024 has had nothing but problems with his tranny stuff.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:03 PM

Ha, maybe we should get someone to post a sticky that says to not buy from that place!! I'm sure that company would love us, but hey treat us max owners like crap, they should get the same treatment
Old 12-21-2003, 05:06 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

this is like the 3rd 0r 4th max trans they have screwed up in some way or another, they are the worst company i think i have ever seen in terms of trans.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:43 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by nismos14
this is like the 3rd 0r 4th max trans they have screwed up in some way or another, they are the worst company i think i have ever seen in terms of trans.
Yeah, you think it would be simple to look at the tranny code stamped plate on the casing. I dunno. But I've heard many stories about the tranny not working when it gets installed. Then, the whole crappy warranty claim is BS.

WHEN my tranny goes out, I will do it locally. I know there are some good places in Vegas that can beef my tranny up a little. Just gotta find them.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:20 PM

wish i knew about this when i ordered... but all the used trannies were almost as much as the one from PRT... $1000 or so... so i thought some new internal parts and a warranty would be nice... who knew
Old 12-21-2003, 06:29 PM

nothing but annoyances with these guys.
i finally got my situation to a point where i can drive the car and not worry, but as soon as i have the money i'm buying another OEM tranny and building it myself (cryo treat, shot peen, modded final drive).
if anything else goes wrong, i want half my money back and everything overnighted at their expense. whatever, everyone i talked to was very helpful so i have no problem with the customer service, just the quality of product
Old 12-21-2003, 06:40 PM

what are the quality problems? should i just get my $$ back now?

once i get them on the phone, they are fine... its just getting a hold of them... and getting them to do what they say they will do
Old 12-22-2003, 08:55 AM

Long!

Originally Posted by JMAXIMA
what are the quality problems? should i just get my $$ back now?

once i get them on the phone, they are fine... its just getting a hold of them... and getting them to do what they say they will do
first my transmission does not allow the stock throw out bearing to be used. i didnt feel like trying a bunch to see which fit, so i shaved the one i recieved with my clutch kit.
second when i first recieved my transmission, i went crazy trying to get it work right, turns out the "detent" springs were too stiff (according to the tech guy), i replaced the linkage, fiddled with everything..it would only go into first, second and fifth gear.
pull it out, waste 4qts of redline MT90 (@ $7/qt i wasnt pleased).
send it back, no questions asked.
i track it through UPS (their expense), says delivered, so i call the next day, the tech is busy with something else and will get back to it in a few hours...they'll call
3 days later, i havent heard anything, i call and call and call, nothing, next day i call again and talk to the warrentee guy, he said to check with shipping/recieving, jim in shipping(excellent guy to deal with) tells me there is no excuse for them not calling to let me know whats going on, but it was shipped out 2 days ago, gives me the tracking number, whatever..he expects it to be at my house on a friday, it shows up the wednesday before, so i was pretty happy about that.
anyway, put the tranny back in, wont go into reverse, and since this is the reason i replaced the transmission to start with, i wasnt exactly happy.
call up the tech, find out he is the one who worked on the tranny, tells me the springs were too stiff, whatever..he said my choice is pull it out and send it back, or deal with no reverse(he claimed to have bench shifted it through all 6 gears no problem)..so i'm playing with it, get my dad to help and we're jokin' around and i said "alright then tough guy, put it in reverse"..so he did..its just overly stiff, my theory is that the reverse spring is still too stiff.
then, i drive the car a few times (still finishing up motor swap), i move it one day and theres a puddle of gear oil..great...so 3 weeks later i havent decided what i want to do, i'm installing something in the front of my car, decide to tighten the bolts that the oil is leaking from, voila! no more leaks (it still drips VERY slowly, but not even enough to drip on the ground). reverse is still a pain, but i've learned to deal with it..it'll grind third on hard 2-3 shifts (aka taching out second, banging third). its not worth my time/trouble/aggrevation to pull it off and send it back again, so i'm going to buy another stock transmission sometime and build it myself...$1200 can be spent on a bulletproof tranny instead of whatever phoenix calls their stuff.
another thing, stock transmissions are supposed to hold 4.2qt of tranny fluid, right? well mine only holds 3. i put in 4 and it spat it out through the overflow coating my block/everything below the heads with gear oil.
it has to be the right transmission because: the input shaft splines fit fine, the axles (IIRC, they're specific to VE VLSD) fit fine, and it bolts up to my block..also the sensors bolt up, everything looks the same..who knows, i just pray that it holds up long enough for me to save for a new tranny and build it.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:56 PM
SLOW

I have heard nothing but BAD things about Phoenix. In fact there is even a website called something like www.phoenixhardpartssucks.com or something of that nature.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yea, I saw that website but can't find it now, a guy who was pi$$ed off serioulsy with their service set it up.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:00 PM

i might be making one soon too... we'll see if/when i get my tranny wednesday...

what BS... swapping a tranny on christmas eve
Old 12-22-2003, 02:00 PM

anyone know if Courtesy Nissan sells reman. trans?
Old 12-23-2003, 06:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I highly recommend against rebuilds for auto trannies. I had a bad experience with my mothers rebuild. It got done twice and piece of **** kept breaking. Cheaper to go w/ a tranny for a Junk yard.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:34 AM

i've got a 5spd
Old 12-23-2003, 11:49 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by JAY25
I highly recommend against rebuilds for auto trannies. I had a bad experience with my mothers rebuild. It got done twice and piece of **** kept breaking. Cheaper to go w/ a tranny for a Junk yard.
One day, my original tranny is going to die on me. I have a tranny cooler and a Max Tuning VB mod. I have over 140K miles on my tranny. In the summer time, the tranny temp never reaches above 150*F b/c I don't let it. I will blast the heater and kick on my fans to keep the temp from rising in this 115 degree heat. Anything to take care of my car.

So, when this does break, I will probably TRY to find a decent tranny with low mileage. But I know that will be hard to find since my tranny is 92-94. Do you have any recommendations when my tranny dies? Especially since I drag race OFTEN. Thanks.