General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

3 out of 4 brakes NOT working....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:41 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

3 out of 4 brakes NOT working....

Hi everyone

I have a 5 spd 96 Maxima and when I go out to drive it the only wheel with brakes working is the passenger side rear. I thought it was the front calipers because they were both seized and weeping brake fluid from the seals. So I replaced them with re-maned calipers, brake pads, and new rotors tonight. I just got back from a test drive and I STILL have the same problem.

The rotor that works is very hot and is definitely doing the work for all the other wheels, its not binding because the other 3 rotors are cold after a test drive.

So any idea what could be the problem?

My only guess at this point is it could be the ABS proportioning valve failing. Any others would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:26 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Hi everyone

I have a 5 spd 96 Maxima and when I go out to drive it the only wheel with brakes working is the passenger side rear. I thought it was the front calipers because they were both seized and weeping brake fluid from the seals. So I replaced them with re-maned calipers, brake pads, and new rotors tonight. I just got back from a test drive and I STILL have the same problem.

The rotor that works is very hot and is definitely doing the work for all the other wheels, its not binding because the other 3 rotors are cold after a test drive.

So any idea what could be the problem?

My only guess at this point is it could be the ABS proportioning valve failing. Any others would be appreciated.

sounds more like 1 side is having a problem, its very unlikely that THREE sides would fail together, also, the car would be really really hard to stop with only 1 caliper working. hows your brake pedal? firm? soft? im pretty sure its not gonna be your ABS system, when it fails, your regular brakes will work fine.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:25 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Turbo95Max
sounds more like 1 side is having a problem, its very unlikely that THREE sides would fail together, also, the car would be really really hard to stop with only 1 caliper working. hows your brake pedal? firm? soft? im pretty sure its not gonna be your ABS system, when it fails, your regular brakes will work fine.
Another thing (and this is a reach, seeing as I had a similar problem recently) would be that the e-brake cable locked up just that one caliper.

Do this: Take off the wheel you suspect is the problem, have someone operate the e-brake a couple of times while you visually check for any binding. It might require you to tap the cable/linkage a few times. And a bit of WD-40 might not be too bad in this instance, either.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Did you disable the ABS system when you bled the calipers?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Turbo95Max
The car is very hard to stop, especially after using the brakes. It feels like brake fade and it only gets worse as that wheel gets hotter. Brake pedal feel seems fine it feels like the brakes on my '98, just that it takes a while to stop the car. I dont suspect the ABS system because the light hasnt come on when I was driving it.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Another thing (and this is a reach, seeing as I had a similar problem recently) would be that the e-brake cable locked up just that one caliper.

Do this: Take off the wheel you suspect is the problem, have someone operate the e-brake a couple of times while you visually check for any binding. It might require you to tap the cable/linkage a few times. And a bit of WD-40 might not be too bad in this instance, either.
well I dont suspect binding because the other wheels dont heat up when braking. On my other car all the rotors get hot after using the brakes, on this car only one rotor gets really hot, the rest are cold.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
Did you disable the ABS system when you bled the calipers?
Well I turned the ignition key off and disconnected the battery, using search this was recommended by someone with a FSM. I did not disconnect the ABS connectors FYI nor did I disconnect anything else. Also I had this problem before I replaced the front calipers. After inspecting the old calipers I was for sure they were the problem because they were so gone.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:44 PM

Did all 4 calipers bleed okay? Meaning....about the same amount of flluid came out of the 4 bleeder screws? It sounds like you might have a faulty master cylinder or faulty proportional valves.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Did all 4 calipers bleed okay? Meaning....about the same amount of flluid came out of the 4 bleeder screws? It sounds like you might have a faulty master cylinder or faulty proportional valves.
I didnt bleed the rears, I only replaced the calipers on the front and bleed the front as needed. I didnt want to touch the rear brakes because the right rear brake is the only one working properly. When I did bleed the front a good amount of fluid came out and it seemed like the old calipers were the problem. But now It looks to me that the master cylinder or proportional valve could be the problem too.

Well does anyone know where the proportional valves are on this car ? Its a 96 5 spd with ABS. In the Haynes manual it says there remotely operated and not attached to the master cylinder. If I can find them I can remove them and have them tested somewhere and if its not that I can replace the master cylinder.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Update

Well this weekend I replaced the rear calipers, rotors, pads, and bled the rear brake lines to see what would happen. Much to my amazement all 4 brakes are working now. All 4 rotors are hot after braking its not just that one rear rotor getting hot now. I can't explain what happened but im glad the brakes are working now.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:59 AM

Wow... and I was gonna drive this car home from Great Barrington!
Old 02-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by TheSoundSoldier
Wow... and I was gonna drive this car home from Great Barrington!
Yup scary huh ?

Yeah this thing has been nothing but trouble, oh well live and learn.
The brakes were so badly rusted and rotted away Im amazed that one wheel worked at all.

However all the repairs that it needed are done so now its time to start modding.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:43 PM

I think you should've bleed the rear brakes in the first place, but anyway new hardwards are always good. Brake parts are on 4th gens are pretty inexpensive. Aleast now you know you don't have to mess with the brakes for another 3 years.

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Well this weekend I replaced the rear calipers, rotors, pads, and bled the rear brake lines to see what would happen. Much to my amazement all 4 brakes are working now. All 4 rotors are hot after braking its not just that one rear rotor getting hot now. I can't explain what happened but im glad the brakes are working now.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I think you should've bleed the rear brakes in the first place, but anyway new hardwards are always good. Brake parts are on 4th gens are pretty inexpensive. Aleast now you know you don't have to mess with the brakes for another 3 years.
Actually just like the front the rears were in sorry shape. The seals on the caliper pistons looked like crap. Maybe a rear brake bleeding might of worked but i dont know. Anyways at least now I have all re-maned calipers that are anodized just waiting for some caliper paint. Also the Powerslot rotors look awesome with the MOMO wheels and will be even better looking once I paint the calipers black.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:57 AM

Hey now you can "stop" by! Nice getting them fixed. I want to do the brakes over in my car. I have all new calipers and rotors on the VE. I put them on in October...damn I wish I didnt spend so much money in that thing.

BTW: Your 98 looks like a convertible in your sig pic
Old 02-10-2004, 08:21 PM

How can you tell while your driving if all your brake are working or not?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by sk24iam
How can you tell while your driving if all your brake are working or not?
I stopped the car on the side of the road and put my hand near the rotors. 3 were cold and only one was blazing hot with alot of brake dust on the rim. Now when I stop all 4 rotors are hot, with the front ones being hotter which is to be expected. Also the rotors werent dragging cause I rolled to a stop without using any brakes and all the rotors were cold. Not exactly scientific but it worked.