General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cattman 's Coil-Over !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 01:49 AM
Wustylez

I have a very interesting question to you all, we all know that Cattman uses KYB AGX shocks for his Coil-Over system. And he claims to be suprior than Koni yellows, however my friend recently just bought a set of KYB AGX shocks for his accord and I found out that right on the manual, IT says it is not recommended to use these shocks with springs that lower the car more than 1.5inches.

Great!!!!Unless Cattman has modified the AGX shocks internally, otherwise, he uses these shocks for Coil-Over????????? especially we usually drop cars more than 2 inches on Coil-Overs..go figure

Any ideas??

Tim

Old 03-07-2001, 05:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm guessing that these were custom made shocks, since cattman has had the coilovers out for a while and KYB AGX shocks aren't even out for the maxima yet. I haven't heard anyone complain about the coilovers yet, except for the clicking noise.
Old 03-07-2001, 05:12 AM
Administrator

The Cattman Coilovers are moddified Eclipse I think KYB AGX's... I know its from another car...
Old 03-07-2001, 09:44 AM
Wustylez

Originally posted by SprintMax
The Cattman Coilovers are moddified Eclipse I think KYB AGX's... I know its from another car...
I know it's custom adopted (of course) because that is the only way to fit on the maximas..but my question was, due to the intruction manual if it says it can't be used with cars that are lowered than 1.5 inches.(civic, accord.etc) i assume the same for eclipse, Cattman has to modified (internally) valving, gas .etc......there shocks to be used with Coil-Over..otherwise, it is against its original manufacturer's purpose of this shocks..if it can't be used with cars that lowers more than 1.5..certainly no way to be used with coil-over...i

Old 03-07-2001, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Well wether or not it was setup that way.. it has not had any problems so far.. so it is up to you.. the buyer to decide wether you wish to use it or not..

FYI.. dropping an Accord 2 inches and dropping a Maxima 2 inches is a very different story
Originally posted by Wustylez
Originally posted by SprintMax
I know it's custom adopted (of course) because that is the only way to fit on the maximas..but my question was, due to the intruction manual if it says it can't be used with cars that are lowered than 1.5 inches.(civic, accord.etc) i assume the same for eclipse, Cattman has to modified (internally) valving, gas .etc......there shocks to be used with Coil-Over..otherwise, it is against its original manufacturer's purpose of this shocks..if it can't be used with cars that lowers more than 1.5..certainly no way to be used with coil-over...i
Old 03-07-2001, 09:06 PM
MAC

just fyi, I don't think Brian claims agx are superior to yellows. Actually I think they are a TAD lower in quality than the yellows but the price difference is worth the quality difference.

I can tell you from experience that lowering w/ cattman coilover more than 2" will give you problems long term wise. In the 2 years I've had my coilovers, I've had to replace my kyb's 3 times. I'm not here to bad mouth Brian. But just to inform you that the kit is designed for performance more than for show. My car is lowered some 3"+ and it bottoms out quit regularly! But I understand the physical limit of the struts and I take all risks involved.

There is no way to lower the car, even with koni yellows, to more than 2" that a shock manufacturer will endorse. The only proper way to do it is with a short stroke shock, and no ones make em for our cars.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:17 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by MAC
just fyi, I don't think Brian claims agx are superior to yellows. Actually I think they are a TAD lower in quality than the yellows but the price difference is worth the quality difference.

I can tell you from experience that lowering w/ cattman coilover more than 2" will give you problems long term wise. In the 2 years I've had my coilovers, I've had to replace my kyb's 3 times. I'm not here to bad mouth Brian. But just to inform you that the kit is designed for performance more than for show. My car is lowered some 3"+ and it bottoms out quit regularly! But I understand the physical limit of the struts and I take all risks involved.

There is no way to lower the car, even with koni yellows, to more than 2" that a shock manufacturer will endorse. The only proper way to do it is with a short stroke shock, and no ones make em for our cars.

No, Cattman(Brian) told me personally from his email to me, he said that Konis are lousy, KYB AGX are FAR suprior!!!!

And if you said lowering more than 2 inches will do damage to the struts/shocks, then it is really funny because from his emails, he mentioned to me that dropping car at 2.5inches is okay for the struts/shocks on his coil-over??????

I mean we are paying premium price for these coil-overs from Cattman especially the new one costs around $1700 that is really expensive consider other really(reputable) true coil-over makers from Japan, for those who have followed my post about JIC coil-over system, JIC is planning on making a coil-over for maximas for only $1500..and I am talking about the reputable suspension company from Japan, for those we knows.....

So, just want to make sure Cattman Coil-Over is worth of my money..

P.S anybody knows the real reason Cattman switched from Koni yellows to KYB AGX besides he claims to be FAR surior???

Tim

Tim

Old 03-07-2001, 09:18 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by MAC

YES, Cattman(Brian) told me personally from his email to me, he said that Konis are lousy,(tried, but never want to use it again) KYB AGX are FAR suprior!!!!

And if you said lowering more than 2 inches will do damage to the struts/shocks, then it is really funny because from his emails, he mentioned to me that dropping car at 2.5inches is okay for the struts/shocks on his coil-over??????

I mean we are paying premium price for these coil-overs from Cattman especially the new one costs around $1700 that is really expensive consider other really(reputable) true coil-over makers from Japan, for those who have followed my post about JIC coil-over system, JIC is planning on making a coil-over for maximas for only $1500..and I am talking about the reputable suspension company from Japan, for those we knows.....

So, just want to make sure Cattman Coil-Over is worth of my money..

P.S anybody knows the real reasons Cattman switched from Koni yellows to KYB AGX besides he claims to be FAR surior???

Tim

Tim